Elive for servers

I'm working on the tool to "Elivize" a server, adding on it Elive super-powers and features, so yes, we are going to have this version soon... :slight_smile:

Volunteers to try it welcome! since this is going to be a version to publish on the elive website just like an extra version of Elive (but not in the form of ISO but a script tool to install elive things)

The version will not only install elive features but also a set of things like a Wordpress website, mail server, etc.. everything with elive fine-tunings :boogie:

Use it

• More like a 'distro to install in a server' is a tool that converts your actual server into an elivized one (new or existing one, but make caution with your backups if existing)
  • How? Just run the tool as how is described on the github repo

Volunteers:

• subscribe to this thread
  • you can try it on a simple computer with debian or elive installed on it, or an existing server
  • you can setup an account with digitalocean / vultr (moving to vultr now) - please use these referral links for new accounts, so elive hosting will be benefited in lowered billings and also you with an extra credit
2 Likes

saw that on your github :happy:

please tell me when I can test it :smiley:

WAIT you're moving to vultur ?

yepsies, or at leas trying... seems like the hardware is a bit better and the IPs are less banned for spam :thinking:

I'm probably going to try this High Frequency Compute plan:

Now I just have to see if that's in CAD or USD. :thinking:
Probably USD.

I've got a Raspberry Pi 3 to test on as well as some older laptops (32 bits).

I could set the RPi up with Rasbian and go from there....it depends how no-arch the Elive scripts and tricks are. :thinking:

2 Likes

Elive always used the cheapest one :thinking: 6usd / month

hu! mmh... there's no elive repos for these architectures :thinking: but there's some compatible packages, so it must be tried but nothing is promised :thinking:

I'm not buying this just for Elive, chill.

just curious (and good to know for the tool), which services you plan to run on it?

Preview of how the ssh login will look like in the Elivized server:

3 Likes

Gitea, a few discord bots, maybe some misc other stuff.

In other words a general purpose server.

That would make for a good twitter, insta, f*book post. hint,hint,nudge,nudge. :magick:

1 Like
1 Like

Very good .... don't forget the other platforms and:
Start preparing the next message. :wink:

1 Like

Seems like the tool has been a bit tested recently, now it is meant to work much better, and with more debug, and all the features are probably all finished and working, so is better to betatest the tool now which is more ready

note: if the tool fails, try it again, it should show you more debug messages which can help improving it if there's any bug to fix

Will re-running the tool screw up any of my already-existing Elivised configs?

it is meant to not, but I cannot guarantee you that, the only way to go securely is to backup, especially if you don't use it with the --force option, otherwise it will reinstall the things and so there will be your confs overwritten, but that's why are needed the betatesting :slight_smile: in short it could do overwrite of your possible modifications but it will create new Elivised ones :thinking:

:info: Result: In the last version, I was able to:

Install in 5 minutes from zero to a full server setup with 3 Wordpress websites in 3 different users, with a full email server and their user's accounts, mariadb database, PHP 8.0, monit daemon to watch resources running, fail2ban to block attack attempts, firewall, rootkit checkers, etc... all running very light & fast and using only 161 MB of ram ! :eyepopping: :eyepopping:

:happy: :happybounce: omg :excited:

mentions: @PrinceAMD , @TheTechRobo , @triantares , @yoda , @Rebel450 @jfbourdeau , @LupusE @Vincent_Torri @stoppy98 @linux23dragon @IamElive @zbd @maxinou @PerfMonk @she.dyed

6 Likes

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Elive for servers - release announcement plan

I just wanted to make a LinkedIn Post about this breakthough ... But by searching a Website, the Elive Server isn't public, yet?

So I'll leave my text here, for later use :slight_smile:
[...]
Beside my interest in acoustics, I am a lucky Linux User. For I while I am watching the Elive project. A Debian based Distribution with the focus on eyecandy and low needs of computing power.

Right now there are two major breakthrough:

1. The switch from Debian Buster (10) to Debian Bullseye (11).
  2. A Elive Server.

The first one is important, because Bullseye got a lot of neat improvements.

The second one is less a approach to compete against RHEL or Debian Production Servers, than an approach to provide a fast reliable Home Server. It is very fun to show the own website on a own server, and try some things that would be expensive in the real world. I've learned a lot on the dumps at my little 'servers' at home.

The Image will provide in less than 5 minutes:

• A Webserver
  • A fully functional Mailserver
  • A MariaDB Database Server
  • PHP8
  • A Monit deamon
  • A Wordpress instance

and all this needs less than 180MB of RAM! Perfect even on an older system or Laptop or VM.

But please, do not let these playgrounds access the internet! Even if the Elive Server will bring neat extensions, like fail2ban, firewall, rootkit check, it is not and never will be a fully maintained server.
[...]

In my case, this month a Podcast (Signia Hörgeräte - Hören & Technik: Der Signia Podcast | Signia Pro) will be released, in which I've talked a little about Hearings Aids and IT ...
I think this will get some attraction for non-IT Users with technical skills. Because of this I wanted to drop a little Elive be in my profile. Therefore is the Home Server Part much more important, than the Switch 10to11.

Is there any public peek for Elive Server? Else I'll try to create my own preview-Blogpost in time.

1 Like

Could you elaborate on what you think is missing or requires more attention?

Keep in mind that "Elive-for-servers" as such is NOT in fact a ready server by a long way:
It's a script to add certain functionality, like the zsh customization we know and/or certain optional server functionality like a mail-server or wordpress.
It requires an existing, running Debian or Ubuntu server in the first place with all the built-in functionality and security those bring along (or don't :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ).

• Otherwise we could've dropped the "-for-" and called it "Elive-Server". :wink:

In case you missed it, the script can be found here: https://github.com/Elive/elive-for-servers.

Ah, thanks for the head up. I wasn't aware that it is 'just' a scriptset für a running debian/ubuntu.

In my opinion you can rent a running server (as a Service) or you can build your production environment from the scratch.
Every 'pop up' is just POC, playground or similar. A preconfigured 'server' in every flavor should not be for the internet. It is usefull, for some cases, but could not be as secure as a real maintained server. If we don't make this clear, we aere about to raise hosts for botnets.

Just my opinion.