Emailclient install

Hi, I'm brandnew with Elive. Just installed on an old ThinkPad-Laptop t41. Works well, but the emailclient THUNDERBIRD was not installed. I set the checkmark, while installing the OS, but it is not installed. What can I do? is there another emailclient which can be installed, and how to do?
Thanks in advance for any help
Rainer

There's many software available from the repositories that you can install, so yes you can install thunderbird :slight_smile:

The simplest way for you is to run this command on a terminal:

api thunderbird

thats all :slight_smile:

Thanks, I will try.
Installing from a repository was not successful, to much files could not be installed or downloaded.
regards

Hi, sorry, does not work.

No connection possible to repo.wheezy.......

regards

Oh, you are using the version 3.0 of Elive, unfortunately some repositories are no more available

I suggest you to use the Beta version instead, which is extremely stable, unfortunately not yet as beautiful as the stable, but much more usable

Ok, here some more info's.

I use the Elive version suitable to this old IBM-Laptop Thinkpad T42. Works well, but unfortunately without any email-client.
Would be nice if you can find a solution with any email-client, best would be Thunderbird.
Thanks in advance.
Rainer

Tryed to include the sysinfo-textfile but without success!

Elive 3.0.6 is based on Wheezy and the repositories aren't valid any more, they're archived.

While there are some tricks to get packages from the Wheezy archives, you'll have to make do with what's available there ... meaning if there's a mail client like thunderbird available, it probably won't work due to missing (modern) dependencies.

Stable 3.0 is nice and very well built but don't expect anything that depends on current infra-structure to work. It's just as aged as the T42 and it shows.
That said, I actually got Stable Retrowave 32bit (3.8.32) working reasonably well on a T40 if you insist on having modern internet connectivity but it will slow the machine down considerably.

It can't harm to try, eh? :madness:

Hi, no I think I will try. Where to download which file?
Install from live cd?
Thanks in advance.
Rainer

Try to update your repositories to these ones:

deb http://archive.debian.org/debian wheezy main
deb http://archive.debian.org/debian-security wheezy/updates main 

I don't recall now for the ones of Elive

I think that there was a howto about that? @triantares @TheTechRobo :thinking:

Also, try "sylpheed" which is lighter than thunderbird

Well you would have to edit certain files... "/etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list" to point to the archives.

I was planning to create a HowTo for that but ultimately didn't... a remedy for disaster.
Those archives will bring along very outdated internet related stuff.
Just think. In those days https:// wasn't a thing nor was javascript... i.e gmail has changed its API since then so an old mail client wont even work.

You can use Stable 3.0.6 in lots of ways (I use it on a X60T for drawing on the wacom-screen) but definitely not for proper internet access.

Hi, thanks for all your help.

I updated the system to 3.8.35 running very well email with Thunderbird and PaleMoon-browser doing a good job, not to slow on this old laptop. I'm happy with it.

But I have some other problems as I am a Linux-Rookie.

I want to delete some programs/apps, and want to install some others.

I load the app "SOFTWARE" from Elive-center but I cannot add or delete any software.
Not all installed software is shown in the list!
Selected Software will not be deleted!
New Software cannot be selected, because when I click to any category-button the program "Software" closes immediately.without the chance to select any new software/program.

I want to delete chrome-browser because this app has a problem and shows any strange errorwindow and PaleMoon browser is doing a good job.
I want to delete Sylpheed, because Thunderbird is my email-app.
I want to delete .....

No chance to do that.

I want to place some shortcuts onto the desktop, does not work as I know it from LinuxMint i.e.

What I'm doinng wrong?

Would be nice to get some help, here my big "thankyou in advance".
Rainer

Good for you. :applause:

Yes software-manager is a bit of a "thingy" ... I personally never use it as I'm perfectly happy with using the commandline.
Elive uses 'aliases' to shorten all too long commands.
For instance to remove software one would use 'apr'. Meaning to completely remove 'chrome' one would use:
apr --purge google-chrome-stable
and to remove 'sylpheed':
apr --purge sylpheed

The trick is in finding the correct package-names which can be done using 'apse' (for search) and keeping a watchful eye on what else might get removed in the process.
You'll get a warning if there's a extra stuff getting removed alongside and ...If it's a very long list: Bale out and ask around before maybe harming your system.

To install one uses the 'api' command.

May I give a word of warning about 'deleting' programs?
It's the most common cause of system failures so if you do delete too much and your system gets unresponsive: Pull out that 3.8.35 flash-drive again, let it boot and allow it to upgrade the system.

• Usually it will be OK after that.

Another option for if you're feeling very experimental is to reboot into 'impermutable mode', try out what you wanted and if it breaks the system you can just reboot into 'normal' mode.

You cannot on E16 (Mint uses Gnome) but what you can do is 'right-click' on the icon of an opened app in the dock and tell it to remain there. That way you'll have it easily available from then on.

In reference to the software-manager functionality:
The manager has 3 options to chose from: explore, installed and updates.

To remove installed app got to 'installed' and search for the app you want to remove.

If the software was installed through other means than the built-in ways, it wont show.
That being said: The software-manager is a quirky bit of software and doesn't do it's job as it should. :frowning_face:
A more archaic (but stabler) GUI app for that would be 'synaptic'. To install it do api synaptic in a terminal.

And here's an example of keeping an app (gnote) in the dock

Thanks for all the help, will try tomorrow.
Rainer

No trouble. :smiley:
I was just doing 'quickies' there.
I don't use either 'software-manager' nor 'cairo-dock' so I had to boot up another machine for screenshots and to be sure I wasn't talking nonsense. :madness:
Except that that machine has a terrible keyboard so my answers were a bit shorter than I'd normally do.

I think this is an issue in the software application that happens only in the 32bits, if im not wrong this is corrected in the next iso upgrades (bookworm) for 32 bits, on the other hand I recommend you to install the other software manager which is much lighter:

apr gnome-software apt-config-icons-hidpi packagekit-tools fwupd
api gnome-packagekit

Could that be down to the 'flatpacks' that usually only cater for amd64?

I think is this one https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=998081

Sheesh, that's >3 years ago. :astonished:

Maybe 'synaptic' would've been a better contender on i386, after all. :thinking:

welcome to debian :slight_smile: (but yeah, even with that, debian is the best option), if i had the resources i could make debian much better (neodebian?)... in fact I have many tools that can make this a reality, but again a big investing of time / resources that i don't have

you are right, and in fact it works this (similar) way, for i386 is not gnome-software installed by default but gnome-packagekit (like synaptic but a bit more friendly), unless the user picks the other one on the installer