Enlightenment flavors in the new alpha versions

I put my vote in for E16 much like @yoda my priority is to see 3.7 in any form and if that's the most workable solution, then why not? Especially if its still in development - perhaps that is a way to increase the Elive community, in a way! Besides...E16 was the first version I used, many, many moons ago, so I am fond of the idea in a sad, nostalgic sort of way. :nod:

2 Likes

I haven't tested yet (I will this evening) but I'm very much in favour of E16 and passing changes for the better down to 3.0.x again, keeping it in step with 3.7 and up.

IMHO it's essential to keep 3.0 up to date as it is what makes Elive special.

I'll try give it a go but I 'm all for "Leave well enough alone" in place of "Fix it till it breaks". :eyepopping:

The E22 I tried to shoehorn onto Ubuntu (It's what cost me a major part of my monthly mobile cap) never got further then a pulsing - in the left hand corner of a black screen......Duuuuh!

2 Likes

27 posts were split to a new topic: 3.7.0 betatesting experiences

Done some extensive testing today, especially with E16 running.
To be clear: I can look past current bugs and mishaps -It' s an alpha release after all-!

I found E16 workable but not to my liking on touch centric interfaces ...... it' s just too cluttered, misses the dock for favourites and generally gets in the way of my workflow.
Looking for bugs, et all was easy, that mainly required a terminal so I had multiple instances of that opened. But the moment I wanted to draw something or go to the net i.e open a browser or any other utility ....I' m just mucking about trying to find what category it is in, having trouble keeping the mouse focus there on the menu entrywhen clicking.
So most of the time i' m WTF' ing and squinting at the menu.

E17/E22 are the way to go IMHO as touch screens are getting more and more prevalent.
Like I stated earlier: E16 definitely has to be kept going for the 32bit versions, but I very much doubt it will atract a lot of users on a 64bit OS.

2 Likes

Sometime anything new make us go crazy, to have to learn new ways, sometime better, to do the same things we were used to do without having to think.
Yoda

1 Like

Aye, new is always harder at first. But using my fingers on the current is E16 is definitely a show stopper.
The layout just isn't up to it. Thatś what I liked about Unity, it was designed with touch on a small screen, in mind.

I never use the menus

I always call the software using escape to type the software name or create a short key to open it

So I don’t care much about the menus

Not with no keyboard you don't. First thing I did is install onboard, that way I'm safe and methinks it should be part of the login screen options too.

2nd toughtLOL

Are your having difficulty to navigate through this ?

Me no.... You're in touch screen mode or what ?

I am getting used to E16, I always use the same 5-10 apps or gadgets, so I never use the menus most of the time and ALT + ESC to run an app or I create shortcuts for frequently used gadgets/apps

So finaly I am not in your team anymore / joke LOL

YODA

And I prefer the look of E16 menus to E17 LOL

yes on a 12"screen with a 2560x1440 resolution, impossible.

BTW not sure about your escape trick on E16, doesn't work for me.

Haaaaa
I know why you are not happy

1 Like

Me on a 32 inch monitor, 2560 X 1440,. everything is perfect
Yoda

Do you know some Perl?

The menu generator is a perl script, its a simple but smart parser which generates the menus in the best friendly way (and it is), but it is not the same as the ones included in e17... for that, it should include more complexity parsing for extra datas, a good perl coder can make it to be generated like in the e17 ones :slight_smile:

/usr/share/e16/scripts/e_gen_menu

That's the code, and its pretty easy in fact, it includes modifications for elive (the original one made the menus much less friendly for elive case)

Im not sure to understand your menu / pointer problem , have you tried to change the focus settings?

yeah its very good but also more limited in possibilities too, e22+ includes can do much more things, the good thing of e16 (for me) is that it simply works, with (most of) everything i need, and its fast and without bugs :slight_smile: - hey! if bugs in e16 they can be friendly fixed but the actual dev, so don't get wrong expectancies if you see something that "not works" on e16... if there's something to fix, i will communicate with him

1 Like

oh! the problem is the small elements of e16, have you tried the other (provided) themes?

Yes, there's a Star Trek theme! :mwahaha:

1 Like

they are very stylish, yeah, I like these too, the best e16 theme imho

lol your finger occupies 4 menu entries sizes :rofl2:

alt + esc

Watch it, that was my wife's finger. :omfg:

But that's why I'm so in favour of a dock that's easily resizable and postionable.
On (modern mobile) touch screens that's imperative and ...... multi-touch gestures, of course!

so for touchscreen Elive's users, it will be

1- someone code something in e16
or
2- E22 will be the path of the future but not a priority for now

Yoda
make sense ?

I do a bit but not really. Perl is sheer hell to read IMO as if the programmer threw all his lines of code in a jar and then emptied it out on the table and put together again randomly.

That is actually quite readable.
I still prefer a dock though...... you'd be shocked at how small the eplets are on my screen. :flushed:
Still the E-power epplet shows the battery status nicely.

I'm not getting anything on to the brightness thingy on my X1 though .... keep getting distracted. :poop:

@triantares have you tried with e22, as @yoda suggest?

:rofl2:

Ok i must confess perl looks a bit like that, a lot of shrinked chars, but i call this "efficient code" (efficient to write), its not very difficult to read if you know (good) bash, i mean its similar but with more features