Home work for the next 12 month to be a able to help you with the code

@Thanatermesis ,

As I mentioned before, I studied as a programmer when I was in college ( I was good LOL) but didn’t finished 1st year…

I will start with learning BASH ( the document you provide in DOCUMENTS) but if I want to be useful ( could take a year LOL )as a programmer, what should I learn to be able to CODE something for you and Elive ? I know I will be able, it’s just the learning curve LOL A lot of catch up to do (my BASIC LOL and Pascal are fare away in my head)

1 Like

Well, elive is made from bash and C, for the bash part im very in, most of the tools is made in bash, even the installer!

as an example, see all the bash programs made with:

dpkg -L elive-tools

There's elive functions for bash too, very useful, try:

el_... (TAB)

No need to read documentation, the name of the function should say everything :slight_smile:

When you learn how to program, you learn that good commented code is very important and it makes your code be good quality, but the best code, is the one that doesn't needs comments, in other words, "just program in english" lol

So, knowing bash is very important for everything, it is also all your terminal power so it can be the most useful language for linux

zsh is even more powerful, but is very similar and compatible with bash

So, tools like elive-multiscreens or touchpad-configurator are made in bash, knowing bash can help to improve them or to fix bugs, but is needed to know what exactly does

I would also suggest to know vim, there's a small introduction document for vim which can amaze you

C is where all the power is, the full desktop, modules, and the real power resides in C, it can be more useful for elive to know C, but C is a complex thing, because is very simple and doesn't require to learn much things, by other side requires more practice to understand it correctly lol

2 Likes

Tks for the complete answer… I Don’t won’t to say when, but in a not to distant future ( months with an sss ) I will code for Elive with great pleasure…

tks !

Debian FAQ are really usefull for newbies like me wanting to understand Debian, how it’s working, philosophy behind it etc
Been reading this 2 times…

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/

Oh well... my code sucks...
A tiny library i made for an exam: https://github.com/Sbef98/CDataStructures (let's not talk about how bad is the code itself... i wanted to try to emulate classes in c to pass any kind of data type to a function, but my teacher simply said " you just cannot do that" so i had to invent something myself eheh)

You should check the EFL (enlightenment libraries) which does amazing things, like passing any kind of data :), make a look to some documented examples to get an idea, you can install the package libefl-dev to have the headers and read them, like with:

dpL libefl-dev

https://www.enlightenment.org/docs/start

1 Like

thank you a lot!!!

Also, don't miss this one: https://phab.enlightenment.org/phame/post/view/75/yet_another_c_object_model_-_but_better/

EFL has been rewrited to support "object oriented" programming, and this is an important post talking about it

But before EO, EFL was already amazing

1 Like

How did this project go? I am intrigued @Thanatermesis , was he any help in his threats to help you :coding: for Elive ?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :innocent:

2 Likes

Maybe so, but the name of the function does NOT show the usage of the function.

Like... el_check_version_development_is_days_recent???????? There's not even a -h parameter that will show usage info, or a manpage.

1 Like

You just do "which el_check_version_development_is_days_recent"
and see for yourself why an -h flag would be over the top, while the function is perfectly clear IMO. :likeaboss:

i.e read the installed version date and compare to the current date.

this function in fact is planned to be changed to 2 new ones:

el_check_version_is_development
el_check_version_is_days_recent

the second one needs a numeric argument, it should return true if the system has been built X amount of days ago, useful to know if is a recent build or a dated one