How to be a Mirror for Elive

Same here but there will be some issues to solve first in respect to amd64 as torrents are freely accessible.
sorry for all typos. Am posting from my phone (using Opera)

3 Likes

I would strongly suggest that the mirror should be "unlimited bandwith", otherwise overbill can happen (and those hostings with a limited bandwith seems to be low for the mirror needs, think about 1k downloads can happen easily in a week on releases, so 4TB / week)

Also, the server should be set with apache :thinking: (those "places" services to store data as objects like AWS is a very strange thing that wont' work), and a remote ssh with rsync installed is needed too

in the website? yes, i can create a page for that (so we don't have any yet) :slight_smile:

only for stable releases, no time to maintain that :slight_smile: too much human work

2 Likes

I'm happy to announce a new mirror from France, the owner of the mirror is Remi and is a big fan of Elive since the start, a very stable server with more than 500 days of uptime and 100Mbit bandwith

With it, we have now a mirror in France and another in China that has been recently added too 1(very good locations), where before we had only 1-2 mirrors around! :happy_dance:

4 Likes

Tho... you could update the torrent just sometimes. I keep reinstalling the same old beta version since it uploads anyway by itself!
Btw, what about, instead of calling it elive beta, you do not call it elive rolling? I mean: it works, it updates costantly, always on the edge... it's a rolling version!

That's quite good! Evviva!

that's what I do, but with important releases only
yuck don't do that, better to use an updated version

yes and no, some things are not included in the iso (sometimes a new version of elive-tool is required or other elements, the selection of packages included are different, same for kernels and drivers, etc...)

yes its pretty rolling, but in any case we need the announcements in order to get some promotion... when there's no releases announced for 1 month, the downloads decreases a lot, people "forgets" that elive exists lol (or more exactly, people don't know about it, it doesn't appears on any website, and it appears in a very few btw)

you have a server or a personal computer that you want to use as server?
There's long time i was thinking into make a kind of "version" of elive for servers (version without graphical system, heh!)

hum, normally webhosts includes a panel where to create the domains and things like that, otherwise you must follow some howtos :thinking:

it's not elive then!

Yeah...Slight issue: don't have the webhost yet :neutral_face: but hopefully soon

but there's a ton of features in elive for terminals and tools and automations :slight_smile:

make sure that they don't limit the bandwith usage :thinking: if you want to add it as a mirror of the isos

i did not think about this. Good point

It'd be awesome.

Well the integration with zsh and the powerful vim personalization amkes it quite usable also from cli. If it were integrated with a software management program for cli like dietpi, it'd be my (and not only) go to for servers and clients.

That's what i mean

1 Like

OK. So, because I realized just how expensive my canadian vps was going to be ($20CAD/mo for a really bad one!) and found one for $6USD that is in someways better. (OVH)

Which would you prefer @Thanatermesis—a mirror in

• Pacific Asia, Australia, Sydney (SYD)
  • Pacific Asia, Singapore, Singapore (SGP)
  • Central Europe, Poland, Warsaw (WAW)

(The webhost is giving me an option)

1 Like

For a personal / professional server, I strongly suggest you to use digitalocean and if you use the link in the footer of the elive website it will be benefited to you and elive (referal bonus thingy), I have already tried other hostings and this is the only one that makes it worth to the word "reliable" (and, stable, not bottlenecked, etc)

Note: if you plan to use it to mirror elive isos i don't think is a good option, the bandwith is limited (at least in the case of digitalocean, and expensive if you exceed it, in fact)

1 Like

OVH (the one i'm using) has unlimited but the plan I have has only 250Mbps internet...would this be OK? (EDIT: I would use DigitalOcean but it got so confusing about the nanodes and all that...basically too much for my small, limited-to-python brain. Plus I DO want to use my webserver to mirror it.)

I'm planning on also having a main website and a self-hosted Gitea server on there too.

But—
you didn't answer my question about the location:

yeah, digitalocean is not an option for that, then (has limited bandwith)

ovh unlimited bandwith but limited to 250 Mbps? mmh sounds correct, but then we have a small problem:

• 250 Mbps should be perfectly fine most of the times, but let's image the scenario where 20 people are downloading at the same time, that would mean 12 Mbps (this happens in the moment of a release announcement)

So... well, the best we can do is to just "try it and see" :slight_smile: of course if you already plan to use this server for yourself

Pacific Asia, Australia, Sydney (SYD)

sounds a good option for a better balance and not so big usage :slight_smile:

immagine
Upgrade :slight_smile:
May i help somehow now?
105Mbps is the fastest consumer upload speed reachable probably in my whole country so cannot go faster...
(funny fact: the new internet plan is with the same great company but i save up 15€ per month, i get a free modem that gets upgraded every while and i got the optical fiber installation from the street to the inside of my house for free. Tell me something more awesomely cheap than this. Tho we've been their customers since when my great grandpa bought its first phone so i guess we're also deserving it!)

2 Likes

If there's not a bandwith limit (overbill) and the computer is all time running without reboots, mirrors are more than welcome! (and needed) :happy_dance:

last review in distrowatch:

:neutral_face:

Darn darn darn darn darndy darn!!!!!!!!

I seriously wish I had a competent server, but 680kbps upload speed is probably not what you're looking for. :madness:

Wonder what mirror they used.

the problem is that the only 2 mirrors left are in USA (and not the fastest ones), so if they are downloading from europe it can be quite slow, or Asia, etc...

Im thinking to pay for a 5 usd/month extra server only for providing the downloads :thinking: the option that im looking is 200 Mbps, which is fast for a single download at time, but I wonder if this would suffice... :thinking: (assuming 5 minutes per download, maybe there's 5 downloads per time in release times...)

Unlimited bandwidth? Also which provider are you looking at?

Check out OVH. haven't tried them out myself but they have unlimited bandwidth and 250mbps (50mbps more than the one youre looking at).

or this Linode plan looks good:

Id be surprised if 2 TB transfer isnt enough, considering we don't get that many downloads per month.

special for storage (isos, repos, and backups): https://oneprovider.com/onecloud/pricing#storage

it is unmetered? so it is a need