How to customize the appearance of Qt applications

In the past, we could see that theming SMPlayer or VLC could improve the look of Elive, but even themed SMPlayer and VLC will remain ugly.

If we take the SMPlayer with the dark theme as an example, it definitely looks better than before.

However, there are still ugly KDE3 icons used in its menus.

Things get even worse when we think about it in conjunction with other Qt applications like Flameshot in the example above.

Our goal here is to make "beautiful" beautiful. The look we want is closer to what you see in the screenshot below.

It's still far from perfect, but it's miles ahead of the current state.

The only way to achieve this, besides the obvious "don't mix EFL, GTK and Qt", is via the KVantum engine.

We need to install

sudo apt install qconf qt5ct qt5-style-kvantum qt5-style-kvantum-themes

This will allow us to use the KVantum Manager.

Kvantum Manager allows us to set custom icons, themes, fonts, etc., as well as change many other settings, per application or globally. A user's nightmare and a tweaker's paradise. :wink:

To make it work at all, we need to set the environment variable after installation.

Open the Terminal and type:

sudo nano /etc/environment

Add: QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct, as on the image above, save the file and REBOOT.

After the reboot, open a few applications to check the result.

Happy beautifying!

I removed some derogatory text content as well as too many superfluous screenshots to avoid removing the whole post.
Please restrain yourself a tad in that respect!

I have told you all you need to know about an "ugly duckling quickfix". More only if you donate. :wink:

Now stop begging and start working until you have the product.

What you have now is just wasting people's lives.

And now I'm gone. R.I.P. Elive...

(or get that popularity ranking back on DW)

In only three years you went from 8 (which was already bad) to 5.

Well, that's self-destructive ... "self-derogatory".