How to install Python3

Hello,

How can I install latest (3.7.1) Python? Also I’ve try to install Thonny IDE with “sudo apt install thonny” and “sudo apt-get install thonny” and terminal can’t install it.

No one? I’m really happy to run into Elive but Python 3.7.x it’s must for me, could any advanced member give helpful lights?

Have you just simply tried": “apt-cache search python | grep 3” on the commandline?

Be caerful though: An IDE is not going to solve any coding deficiencies, it takes understanding and focus.

1 Like

Elive is based on a stable Debian. Stable means slightly outdated.
If you'd like to use the latest version of xyz, than it is better to ask in project xyz. Within a distribution it is harder do provide suitable information about any bleeding edge version of any package. A package can be anything, from an application over a script to a wallpaper.

At first, we need to know what is possible in Elive 3.0:

~ ❯❯❯ apt-cache show python3 |grep Version:
Version: 3.2.3-6

I would say this is far from your wanted version.

Lets take a look at the available Debian versions:
http://packages.debian.org/python3

Package python3

• jessie (oldstable) (python): interactive high-level object-oriented language (default python3 version)
    3.4.2-2: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mips mipsel powerpc ppc64el s390x
  • stretch (stable) (python): interactive high-level object-oriented language (default python3 version)
    3.5.3-1: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mips mips64el mipsel ppc64el s390x
  • buster (testing) (python): interactive high-level object-oriented language (default python3 version)
    3.7.1-3: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mips mips64el mipsel ppc64el s390x
  • sid (unstable) (python): interactive high-level object-oriented language (default python3 version)
    3.7.1-3: alpha amd64 arm64 armel armhf hppa hurd-i386 i386 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 m68k mips mips64el mipsel powerpcspe ppc64 ppc64el riscv64 s390x sh4 sparc64 x32

Even here it is just available in unstable ... I would not recommend this package, if you are not familiar with Debian.

But in fact, ther are a lot people out there, who are more interested in installing never versions instead of the tested ones, than I am.

I would get the sources by git, compile the source, build a package and provide it over my local apt-mirror.
(They don't seems to provide a git repository. too bad. but the tar do it as well. Python Release Python 3.7.2 | Python.org)

For starters:

https://www.vultr.com/docs/upgrade-python-on-debian

To sum up: it is not a task for a distribution (in this case Elive, based on Debian 7), to provide the newest version of any application. If there is a issue during compilation (wrong compiler, missing header files, ...) than feel free to reply.
Please, don't get my wrong. Your question is of course welcome. But I've tried to explain, why you won't get a detailed answer about 'how to install version 123 of xyz'.

And keep in mind, that text is only my personal opinion, not official related to the Elive project.

2 Likes

Thank you both for your helpful replies! @LupusE thank you for your time to explain in this very detailed reply, I appreciate it a lot!

It passed from my thought to install the newest Debian minimal version in Virtualbox or another virtual environment in order to work with the latest Python version but I’ll try first to install at last Python 3.2 in Elive and see it how it goes with my projects, if I face any issue I think I’ll stay with a virtual environment for Python purposes only.

I would love to wish to everyone a very happy new year :slight_smile:

1 Like