How to install the latest Firefox version

what is the different with /usr/share and /opt

When playing with Firefox ver 60 and 62, I end up having FireFox Folder in those 2 locations and I am not sure which is ok or good or for whatever reasons it should be in one of the other..

I can't make ver 6.0 or 62 work perperly but FireFox vers 52.8 ESR version is working well
JF
For now I'll forget about Amazone prime Video on Elive LOL and it's ok

I removed everything that has the word PulseAudio, Pulse this or that from Elive
My audio was messsed up, VOIP Phone was not working well anymore lOL
Now everything is back to normal and I wonā€™t install another browser unless provided by Elive :slight_smile:

I'm trying to search a debian documentation which explained that..

This doc is a must to understand a ton of things in a linux (debian) system, increasing the user knowledge by 100000000x times: Debian Reference

In fact, I think that should be added by default in Elive :thinking: , also the contents are very well structured by topics, where an user can search for a specific thing

You were searching for that:

that should be much more easy (or just it will be directly included) in future beta builds of Elive, but actually the development is stuck: Elive - Beta Download

Yeah i told you that you can break things :), unfortunately I don't like the new audio system (pulseaudio) by multiple reasons (useless, more resources, etc) used in distros, but i think that elive 4.0 should probably move to it

well, is good to experiment, but specially good in Live where nothing is broken (and if is, just reboot a new Live session :smiley: )

1 Like

BTW I am not in live session anymore lOL Elive is my main Desktop OSā€¦ I should not try thin on my main Eliveā€¦ My bad

You can also create a virtual machine with the ISO to run in live mode (without hard disk, so it wont take disk usage), that will make you continue work on your main system, 95% of my tests are done in a virtual machine of elive :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Simple but very usefull advice !!

I created a Ubuntu VM and a Elive VM, both in Live mode instead of installing them...

Was able to install in the live Ubuntu session one or 2 soft I need and can " resume the vm" when needed...

Tks !

You have also snapshots!

Example:

• save a snapshot
  • do something ugly or a massive change
  • recover snapshot

Well, in Live mode this is not very important (so we can just reboot), but if you install a system, you can recover the state easly

I also used the spanshot feature in live mode when needed to do strong tests of the installer, like:

• making the live system ready to run a command to ā€œupdate installer and run itā€
  • (snapshot this state)
    • run the installer
    • installation failed
    • fix
    • restore snapshot
    • test again
2 Likes

Note: this thread has been moved to the new #howtos:recommended-software category :slight_smile:

I use Oracle VirtualBox Snapshots

But are your saying there is some snapshot tool within Elive ?

Yoda

There was in the past (I will need to rewrite some day this tool again), in very old versions of Elive, but yeah I think that I was talking about the vbox snapshots feature