Impermutable boot

A new update has been made that reinstalls the Impermutable feature and adds correctly the notifications & wallpaper changing when booting on Impermutable mode

soon in your favorite elive-upgrader...

Its working well with the default installed 6.1 kernel on Retrowave.

It will not work with newly complied kernels unfortunately. I get the Impermutable boot option for the new kernels, but once booted.. the Background does not change at all.

If you run "lockfs-notify" should tell you if is enabled or not (and switch the wallpaper), Note that the Impermutable boot is a boot entry, I wonder if the initrd generated for your new kernel doesn't include it, the question will be more like "how did you installed the new kernel?"

I complied the kernels by source. make install updates grub as well. and the boot entry's are automatically included or written during install.

You think that the kernel configuration might not be setup correctly?
If so, I wonder what the kernel option is for the .config file before I compile the kernel?

I have not setup all the filesystem options in the kernel. so I will give that a go.

Frankly I'm NOT overjoyed at my backgrounds being forced on me ..... what's wrong with the suggestions I made??

It sounds more like the initramfs was not generated correctly, including the scripts needed to enable it on boot time

What's wrong:
Basically a simple notification (as how it was before) is not enough, in the sense that you can read it and you can forgot that you are on that "special state" a few minutes later, even worse you can even have the computer turned ON for days without remember that you are on the volatile state (you mentioned this issue in fact), so a popup notification is not enough for this UX issue unless you want to add a popup every 5 minutes which will solve the problem but the UX issue will be even worse, we need something that the user will think im in a different environment, the best for that is to change something in the visuals permanently so that everytime "will see that", it can be anything that can be enough visually, and the best for that is a different wallpaper, so this is the perfect solution... now, you are mentioning that you don't like to be forced but:

• you need to be forced, so you need to be remember that you are in a different environment, if you don't like the wallpaper you can change it an any moment with a single right click on which the tool to set the wallpaper has been improved for this full automation
  • if the wallpaper is ugly, we could search a different one (but i think your problem is being forced to the change)
  • remember that by being "forced to see something different" is just exactly the feature needed to have, to see that something is different
  • we need to remember that this is a temporal state, i recently used it to betatest a bunch of non-free software updates in order to not "dirt" my system and it worked very good, the different wallpaper was a constant reminder of "finish your tests, and go back to your normal system"

NEVER EVER!!! -- Not by some stupid machine or its OS, that's why I use Linux.

Very true and exactly my point but ........ if in doubt, I think it would be good to have a query option like the output of "status impermutable" command, or such.

And while this is not a permanent marker (albeit a simple systray icon could resolve that) it at least does not "force" me to retain a wallpaper that I may not like or ..... even mess up my personal desktop settings due to incompatibility in colour or theme.

Remember: At its very base, FOSS is about choice i.e NOT having others make choices for me!
This forced wallpaper thingy is way to M$-like for my taste....it reeks of arrogant paternalism and by a long shot NOT what I was asking or proposing.

ok you are not forced, you can change the wallpaper whenever you want, you can uninstall the support for jpg files, or you can even remove the graphical system, this is just the default behaviour, just like a script does A and then B and then C, it has a defined way to work, but you are right, on linux you can change it to whatever you want

you don't see the point, the user needs to be reminded he's on a volatile status on the system and not on his normal system, this is not possible to do by running a command (if the user don't remember that he's on a temporal state, he won't remember to run the command to see if he is), that's the purpose of the strongly-visual change

I told you, you can change the wallpaper in any moment if you don't like it, this is just the default way the desktop shows up when (and only when) on that mode

lol
yeah and you are right, you can change it to whatever you want, copy the tool to your ~/bin directory and comment the command to wallpaper-switch and it will not change, that's all

Yes meaning a user will then have lost this "marker" as to whether the mode is impermutable or not.
Leaving only "lockfs-notify" as an aid....great Ux that. :applause:

you can also disable lockfs-notify from your startup applications, the purpose of lockfs-notify is to simply inform the user so yes you can remove this feature

remember that the wallpaper is only changed -during- the mode impermutable, just like many other linux distros which has a similar boot mode called "recovery" on which the wallpaper is changed to "black" :person_shrugging:

That's not helpful for your average user. And even you might not remember to try to run that query command.

Though yes, there should be a query command other than just the wallpaper. That's just Thana being stubborn. :face_with_head_bandage:

Hi!

Well, in this mode, if there's just a notice, when hitting the power button or select shutdown, reboot, saying "Are you about to leave an impermutable cession?", letting option to cancel for, e.g., saving a log or so... Shouldn't be right?

Ih!

2 Likes

Yes, I or any one else could forget but then at least it would be my own fault. It's just needs to become a matter of habit if to query depending if I do actually use 'impermutable' a lot or not.

I'm not against using a special wallpaper but "forcing it onto a user" just doesn't exist in my dictionary and anyway it can always be circumvented.
On top I could create my own notification if I wanted to (scratching my own itch) which is not my point ..... it's @Thanatermesis arrogant posture towards Elive users, that disturbs me. :frowning_face:

It's forced? In that case, you do have a point.

Yeah... I have no idea why he's so against making a simple command to check.

Right done that (easy enough)

Code:

#! /bin/sh

if grep -qs "lockfs" /proc/cmdline ; then
  yad --notification --text "Impermutable mode" --image="lock" &
  echo "Impermutable state is in use, nothing will be saved!"
else echo "Normal mode in use!" ; yad --notification --text "Normal mode" --image="unlock"
fi

Make that a command in "~/.local/bin/" called, like "impermutability-status" (or whatever) and don't forget to "+x chmod". :wink:
This is a "one-shot" command and just meant as a quick check, that's all. Clicking on the systray icon will terminate it.

Ultimately something like this could/should be integrated in "lockfs-notify" but ...... that's @Thanatermesis call.

Well to be fair:
There are already multiple checks and warnings but none easily and directly available to the user as far as I can see. On top it's all part of the "bilibop' libraries that are used and it isn't that obvious to meddle in them without mucking up other functions.

And admittedly ...... that is one beautiful wallpaper. :applause:

1 Like

In impermutrable-mode that saving would be difficult unless you do that saving externally i.e to the net, another machine or to a USB disk

Yep!
Of course!
:wink:

1 Like

That worked. I got the kernel configured correctly and all is working as expected.

2 Likes

Would you consider writing a Howto for others who want to roll their own kernel and want to know the needed switches/options needed for Elive compliance?

Pretty Please. :pray:

i'll see what i can do. I will write up a document so anyone can boot their newly complied kernel.

1 Like