Installed Elive- lost one OS in boot screen

I just installed Elive in a laptop already dual booting W10 and Solus OS. When rebooting it only showed W10 and Elive options on the boot menu. On investigation I found, through Elive’s File Mgr, that Solus was still there, just not showing up on boot screen. I have uninstalled Elive and restored my dual boot with W10 and Solus, but I’d like to try Elive again with no boot surprises. Your thoughts?

@Thanatermesis ? USB Stick in Live mode or there is an easy way to Dual boot ?

That was probably an issue due to a had grub configuration (it happens often, for example most of my Linux dual-boot installations end up with windows not showing in grub lol).
The best way to solve this in my opinion (also the easiest and most user friendly) is configuring the multiboot from windows using easybcd:
https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

I am curious to learn, if Windows doesn't show, then you're dead, using EasyBCD ?

@yoda I usually install Linux first and then windows. This way the MBR will be overwritten by window’s one and I can just tweak it using easybcd.
In case windows won’t show up, you can either fox the booting problem tweaking grub in the right way or overwriting the MBR with window’s one using a bootable window drive and use again easybcd.
From within Linux, always talking about user friendly tools, you may choose something like this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

1 Like

The cause may be the command os-prober that didn't detected it and so not added it

A simple solution is:

• install elive
  • edit the grub confs of elive
  • add your other OS's on the grub conf

Then you will have the boot menu entries that you want (you should search a howto on internet about how to edit these entries)

Another solution can be:

• install elive
  • install another "new" linux OS that can detect the other operating systems (and also elive) and includes them in his grub

Thanks to all for your responses. I think I’ll try a new Elive install- I’m quite impressed with what I saw, other than the boot menu hiccup- and maybe it will work ok this time. If not, I’ve got some great ideas from all of you.
Question…Is there any way to re-run the os-prober from the terminal after the install?
Or how about Grub-Customizer? Can it be installed in Elive?

you can run it with any moment, from sudo better, but it doesn't do anything, it just show the found systems, this tool is normally called by grub itself to generate the entries

Yes i think that you can use a grub customizer (graphical) and it should work, search for it from the package manager, if not, just edit the entries yourself manually (must follow a howto in internet)

Better take a second look at grub-customizer. When I was trying Bodhi there had not been any recent updates to grub customizer (UEFI-related?) like I could run it, but nothing significant happened. If I remember correctly I still ended up using the other grub tools e.g. grub-mkconfig, etc. because the customizer worked on the older version of grub–before grub was ‘modernized’ with color, animation, and mouse support

hi just posting a thing here. grub bootloader was taken out i don't know how. ran boot repair but it didn't find the win10 partition.. i'm able to boot easily enough in elive.. i ran grub customizer .. also didn't find the win 10 boot drive. did and entry custom40 w/ the win10 uuid number but that didn't come up.. so now i'm looking at reinstalling windows 10 and then reinstalling elive again on top of that.. if you could write an applet that would do this for me effectively and efficiently.. that would be really nice..

sincerely,
rob alexander
batsdkr@gmail.com

First see if it isn't UEFI that's been borked i.e check out the BIOS/Firmware.

2nd: I'd try a boot-up using a supergrub2 boot disk, boot into your "lost" OS with it and repair the boot-loader from that OS.

Be assured your windows should still be there it's just not being found by the boot-loader.

OTOH, if there's nothing (i.e no special stuff) to be lost re-installing windows one could do that.
Re-installing Elive is easy enough as the installer will see the existing Elive (if it hasn't been overwritten by windows) and offer to upgrade it ...... thus retaining all your personal stuff and passwords, etc.