Intel 8260 Wifi Card issue

Hi,

Just booted "elive_3.0.6_stable_usb" in my Lenovo T460s and it doesn't recognise the Intel 8260 (rev 3a) wifi card. Should it? Or do I need to download/install additional drivers for it?

When was the computer released, and what are its other specifications?

If it's relatively new then you'll have better luck on the beta.

It should be a iwl device.

1. lspci -nn | grep -i net - should show something like:
    00:1f.6 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I219-LM [8086:156f] (rev 21)
    03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 [8086:24f3] (rev 3a)
  2. iwconfig - is interesting to see if anything is loaded ...
  3. dmesg | grep iwlwifi - here should stand more about the device and how the kernel tries to load a driver.

Further i think a firmware is missing ... which one is shown in our dmesg output. hopefully.
ls -l /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-*.ucode <- here is a list about the available modules.
New firmwares can be found at Linux* Support for IntelĀ® Wireless Adapters

Hmmm, that wont be really helpful considering Stable comes with a 3.16 kernel and the 8260 only has support from 4.2 up.

Methinks Beta is the better option there unless you love tinkering around with the kernel. :thinking:

Ah, I see. Our 'stable is a little ancient' problem. Sorry, I don't get the point of your answer in the first place. Of course you are right, @triantares

Well, on the bright side:

Your answer is a very nice step by step way to diagnose wifi problems.
Very usable to pinpoint issues. :smiley:

Hi @triantares, @LupusE

Thanks both for your help and advice on this. Not really in to kernel tinkering so, as a percentage, how 'stable' is Beta?

In stability and usability: 100%
It's a very different experience to Stable as that uses E17 desktop where Beta uses E16 for the moment.
Beta can have E24 as a desktop but isn't as well customized and still a moving target i.e E24 is still in full development.

So, Beta is as stable as can be. Including the tried and tested E16 environment.

Thanks - just burning the USB now. Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

My main computer is the same model :slight_smile:

I remember that wifi and graphic cards (3d acceleration for special effects) are not supported on that version of Elive, beta works but of course is a different experience