Linux OCR with GUI

I am looking for an OCR that has a GUI to makes it work
tks !

Try ocrfeeder. It's a bit basic, but It's decent. I actually used it and although it has its inconveniences, it's available for Elive 3.0.
sudo apt-get install ocrfeeder

YAGF is also available under Elive 3.0 and it looks nicer, but considering I just found out it exists, we know just as much. :stuck_out_tongue: I think it's worth trying.

A better option would be gImageReader, which looks much nicer, but you'll have to use a newer OS (Debian 8+, Ubuntu 16.04+ etc).

All of these are user interfaces for Tesseract OCR (OCR engine), so they all depend on those packages. So open Synaptic and search for tesseract-ocr. From there you will have to select the tesseract-ocr package, then also install the packages corresponding to the languages you want to recognize text from.

For instance, manually installing the OCR engine and English, French, Spanish and German languages, we must do this:
sudo apt-get install tesseract-ocr tesseract-ocr-eng tesseract-ocr-fra tesseract-ocr-spa tesseract-ocr-deu

The names of the languages stand out, but Synaptic also shows the package descriptions to make it easy to know what's in there.

Good luck! And if you try YAGF, please share your experience with it - I'm curious.

3 Likes

Tks for the detail answer… Much appreciated