Live system even lighter

There have been some multiple speed / lightness improvements on the OS since the next build (3.8.31+), some of them:

• Live mode lighter, RAM usage will be even less now :applause:
  • The software manager application will be now entirely replaced by "gnome-packagekit", which looks similar to synaptic but in GTK, the reason for this is to make the default system lighter and less bloated in different ways especially apt, but for your installed system it will be used the friendly-and-bloated gnome-software instead, or more exactly the installer will ask you if you want to switch to it (checked by default on 64bits)
  • Extra themes / icons are not included in Live mode too, only the default one assigned for the experience, but as the same way they are included on the installed system if the user wants to
2 Likes

Considering that software-manager is nothing more than a GUI front-end to aptitude:
In most cases, a wanted feature by newbies ...... couldn't we just roll our own using 'zenity' or 'yad', using most simplified actions like: Search, install,update and upgrade?

In the above list the 'search' option would be the most work ('apse' and 'apsh' with filters) to practically be the backbone of the app. :thinking:

This is an interesting idea - but maybe consider zenity with a Nala frontend to apt instead - I like the parallel downloads, fastest mirror tools...

I think gnome-packagekit does exactly that (a simple GUI for these tasks), much more intuitive and friendly than doing it from a simpler tool / widget

The point was to remove gnome-software which were bloated and added extra dependencies/things especially making the live system slower, but enabled on the installed system (which is normally wanted for user-friendly / features), and the best is that the installer allows you to not install it and keep gnome-packagekit instead

updated:
* Extra themes / icons are not included in Live mode too, only the default one assigned for the experience, but as the same way they are included on the installed system if the user wants to

Frankly, I personally have too little experience or need for a GUI software manager ....... so maybe some of the real GUI -loving people here (like @Rebel450) should chip in.

For me the software manager is very much too synaptic like, which is horrific but functional.
I was thinking of a really simple app (easier than knowing all the aliases by heart) certainly not an overall solution

Me too, I don't use these gui package tools at all :slight_smile:

Is not really about "who uses them", we just need to think in terms of the end users, so basically when betatesting we just need to see "how it works, how nice it is, how much resources takes, etc..." and that's enough, playing a bit with the tools

Mmh synaptic is not much friendly that's right, but i tried gnome-packagekit and it looks similar but somewhat intuitive :thinking: anyways will be a good default for live mode making the system lighter, will continue doing betatest with them next...