Negadoctor colour neg converter

I'm interested to know if anyone has used Negadoctor. It's for converting colour negs to positives in Darktable.
I've been using in the past a plugin for Lightroom called Negative lab pro. Which is annoyingly good because getting a replacement option isn't going to be easy.

No but sounds interesting. Is there a trial I can download? Is this an open source plugin for Darktable?

Im doing some testing today and tomorrow I shall let you know how it goes.

Please do. I inherited a client whose field is portrait photography and he uses film in combination with Lightroom. He's getting tired of paying the subscription and he'll be open to Elive if he can use this for his scanned negatives. Thank you @Rory

There is always already an excellent command-line tool available that will convert (if want also a whole directory) your negatives to positives.....it's "imagemagik" and it's already installed. Where I suppose that plugin uses that command.

It's as simple as typing "convert -negate negative.jpg positive.jpg" to change negative.jpg to a positive positive.jpg. :w00t:

For more incredible imagemagik options: Either "man convert" or ....
ImageMagick – Command-line Tools: Convert

Converting negatives has always been very difficult. When the plug in for lightroom was created it changed everything. It works incredibly well. So Im very interested to try Negadoctor. It not only has to work well it needs to be easy to use and quick. As a professional workflow is important. Its always been possible to convert negatives to positives using photoshop type programs. The problem is its not quick or easy or consistent. So I shall give it a try this weekend.

I have great news. The combination of using Negadoctor and Gimp is absolutely brilliant. It is extremely powerful and allows you to adjust very easily all the settings to really fine tune it. Gimp is great afterwards for fine tuning. Im certain that with a bit of time presets can be added and from a business perspective ones workflow can be fast and efficient. Its easily as good as using Lightroom and using Elive means its fast and bug free. My files are not small, I copy my negs on a 36 megapixel camera and the changes are almost instant.

2 Likes

Thank you Rory for test piloting this. Will pass on the info to the client and will probably try it myself so that I might be of SOME assistance if the client runs into problems, etc.

1 Like