NVIDIA Driver 460, Elive Beta, Installation Problem (RTX 3050 Mobile)

Good Night everyone,

i try'd to install the NVIDIA 460 driver on my Gigabyte G5 Notebook with Intel Graphics and an RTX 3050 Mobile. If i try to load the driver on bootup with the Live USB, the driver fails. On a fresh install, the installation runs without problems. But after reboot, the driver dosent load really. I got fullscreen, but i cannot launch NVIDIA Settings. (Error Code: ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system)

It looks like the driver is not loaded at all:

glxinfo|egrep "OpenGL vendor|OpenGL renderer"

OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0, 256 bits)

Thanks for help!

Try running this command in your terminal:

sudo lsmod | grep -i nv || echo No NV

(It may ask for your password.)

What does it output?

Thanks for your reply! I now got the modules loaded by following the NVIDIA Installation guide in this forum: Thanatermesis - Nvidia Privative Drivers installation

I got the modules working by blacklisting nouveau (and related modules).
Now the NVIDIA modules and the Intel i915 module load.

But the Xorg Interface wont start. Do i have to config Xorg?
Xorg dosent show any error on console. Only freezes on start

Im using Optimus if this is relevant.
Im happy to provide logs

Got an Error from my Xorg Log!

[    48.675] (EE) 
[    48.675] (EE) Backtrace:
[    48.676] (EE) 0: /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg (OsLookupColor+0x139) [0x55ec3113ab89]
[    48.676] (EE) 1: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (funlockfile+0x50) [0x7f13ea39477f]
[    48.676] (EE) unw_get_proc_name failed: no unwind info found [-10]
[    48.676] (EE) 2: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglxserver_nvidia.so (?+0x0) [0x7f13e8701065]

Okay i solved this error with: sudo update-glx --config nvidia

Now Xorg shows no errors, just freezes

Trying to start lightdm shows the same issue, lightdm hangs and shows no errors in his log

Hm, weird.

Is the whole system frozen or can you still Ctrl+C Xorg or switch to another virtual console?

Oh, also, what is the output of uname -a ?

I can still switch to another console (but not Ctrl + C)

uname -a gave this output:

Linux nugget 5.15.0-40-generic #43-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jun 15 12:54:21 UTC 2022 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Using a Ubuntu tweaked kernel for an Elive installation is bound to go wrong somewhere and probably is the root cause of your issue.
Better stick to the provided kernels when following Elive guide lines.

1 Like

yes its relevant,
I have recently did tests on "Optimus" hardware, seems like for this one you should not have an xorg conf for nvidia, so delete it if you have it, probably /etc/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf

that is interesting, is needed to run this for optimus?

and yes, try with only the elive kernels & headers

Okay my bad. I excuted the uname -a command in chroot (Ubuntu) looks like uname picked my Ubuntu Install.

Here is the correct output:
Linux nugget 5.10.0-0.bpo.11-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.92-1~bpo10+1 (2022-02-03) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Okay it looks like i dont have an 20-nvidia-conf in xorg.conf.d

I dont know if its needed for Optimus to run "sudo update-glx --config nvidia" i only searched for the Xorg Error on the web and found someone with the same Error on Debian. This is how he fixed the error. But looks like X still wont start.

I picked the wrong uname -a output. Here is the correct one:
Linux nugget 5.10.0-0.bpo.11-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.92-1~bpo10+1 (2022-02-03) x86_64 GNU/Linux

New version 3.8.30 has been just published, try this one instead since all the drivers, kernel, and the entire OS is upgraded (bullseye instead of buster), you may have better luck with this version and also some improvements has been made in the nvidia installer tool @TraubeMinze734

1 Like

Thanks, ill try this! :slight_smile:

I found the issue! Its pretty simple actually. The package nvidia-dkms just wasnt installed. So there where no kernel modules to load to begin with. I also done steps shown in here: dev. to/simonpham/how-to-fix-ubuntu-nvidia-driver-is-not-loaded-2ipp