Nvidia Privative Drivers installation

When I try running the installer, all I get is:

I: running: modprobe nvidia-current-drm

I cannot sudo nvidia-privative-drivers-installer -u because when I tried the first time my screen went completely black (likely because i forgot to stop lightdm) and now it can no longer rmmod the modules.

Update: It worked running the command twice in a row.

One issue: It seemed to want to install CUDA without my asking. This meant the installation failed twice due to insufficient disk space and I had to remove some packages.

Also, version 470 is the latest you've got? Really? 535 is the latest that Nvidia's website lists. I'm tempted to run Nvidia's official installer. I want to test out Wayland on my system but real Wayland support was only added in 495...

Wouldn't "Ctrl+Alt+F1" (or F2) give you TTY access in that case?
If only to remove the modules and stop lightdm. :thinking:

I ran it in a TTY and the screen died. I didn't try Ctrl-Alt-F2 again, since I wasn't on X in the first place. Maybe I should have tried that, though.

Nah, wouldn't have changed anything ..... only option would be rebooting with Ctrl+Alt+Del

Wouldn't that also mean that lightdm wasn't running or did you jump to the TTY from a running X (F7)?

The latter. I figured "y'know what, worst case scenario X crashes or the drivers fail to install, right?" I forgot that you have to stop the systemd service and not just sudo pkill -9 lightdm.

1 Like

Yeah that's why I always use telinit1
Just to be sure

On installed mode, you can't do that from the graphical system running, you need to be in console mode. Also, if you are in console mode you need to make sure that the nvidia fb / drm modules are not loaded, same thing for nouveau, you can try the boot parameters "modprobe.blacklist=nouveau" and same for the equivalent nvidia ones. In the end, installing or removing nvidia is quite complex task and the good thing in elive is that if you select nvidia, it is automatically installed when you install it, so it directly works from your first boot. The nvidia installer tool of elive still a very good way to install them but again, is a complex thing because you cannot remove running modules for example or you can have black screens and similar

This should only happen if you use the -x option on the tool, I just reviewed the code and I don't see any situation on which this should happen by itself (if you are using an updated version of elive-tools of course), can you provide more details of how you are running it?

Yes these are the last compatible / updated versions for the distro version itself, if you want a different / newer version you can try as you said the official ones, which I don't know if they are compatible, but is all on your risk :slight_smile: of course I suggest you to try doing it on the Impermutable mode (with extra options if you need them) first since it won't change your real system :wink: that's an amazing feature for cases like this one :applause:

Another good option that I use sometimes is to do everything from another machine and connect to yours via SSH, but as mentioned before the issues comes if you are trying to remove a module that is in use (your screen will be not turn black if you are on ssh)

So fun fact: it always forces me to run it twice. No matter what.

This happened when I tried sudo nvidia-privative-drivers-install -x encoder -x vulkan. I don't think cuda is included in any of those.

I can't test it now because I'm no longer running elive. Nothing against Elive, I just got sick of consistently having out-of-date software. Even if we were on bookworm this would still be an issue in the long run. (A Sid-based Elive release would actually be pretty cool, but I understand if you dont have time for that.) I'm using Arch now (btw :P)

This sounds like it doesn't fully work on the first time and is needed to do something again (maybe removing a module before to add the new one), no idea what exactly is doing on your case, I don't have any nvidia machine to test with, the tool is in elive-tools code github

mmh yes cuda is included on this case, you should simply not use -x at all, and there's not a second argument to it, its just "extra", you don't need this at all since all the features you want are already included by default (encoder, vulkan, etc) if im not wrong

I did a small change on the wording but I don't think is fully clear :thinking: wording · Elive/elive-tools@638c317 · GitHub

I see. There's a balance between stability and cutting edge, Elive is more on the stability side, but yeah you have an important point: it will be impossible to me to maintain it on Sid and even on Testing, everytime Elive moves to a newer stable base, a new wave of bugs or things that requires adaptation appears, this happens mostly just because the softwares switches to a different version (which means with differences on them), being on testing means newer packages every 4 months, in sid even more, I tried in the past and I passed all my time discovering and fixing bugs, instead of developing / featuring / improving something.

On the other hand there's some software that Elive wants to keep more updated just because they are important for some reason, for example Elive uses by default the backports repositories and this keeps a pretty good updated system (not now until we move to bookworm), things like the kernel or libreoffice and many others, in other cases if there's needed more updated Elive has its own builds that can even be "up to their last git commit" for example for supermariowar, themes / icons (which don't break things), all E*, etc

Yeah. I don't know what happened to my post earlier as the error message when running the first time was much longer than that. It was something about not being able to rmmod a module, because "No such file or directory". Again, it worked the second try.

Oh, the previous wording made me think there was a second arg.
The new wording still doesn't clear that up IMO.

"extra packages wanted" and especially "extra features to install" sound like a list of extra packages wanted, or a list of extra features to install. If it just selects everything for you, change the wording to something like -x: install extra packages: cuda, opencl, encoder, optix, etc.

I would also check if someone provides an extra argument and clarify if they do. But that might be non-trivial to implement.

Yeah, I completely understand. Again, it's not an Elive issue. Debian is just not the distro for me right now - I've been trying out things like wayland and I had to compile basically every single library because the Debian versions were far out of date.

Mmmh... you can add "set -x" to the script and see what is happening, or if is too much verbose maybe:

export EL_DEBUG=5

Another option is to betatest this remotely and see if there's a small bug somewhere that requires it running twice

yeah I know :thinking: a recommendation for a better sentence?

Yeah every distro has some good and bad things, debian is not bleeding edge but a very stable one, which is a perfect base for Elive, as mentioned before Elive has some "most needed" packages more updated like kernel and others, but if someone has a very specific need, like for example in your case with experimental desktops, is better to look to another thing (or, use the SID repos on which elive are not compatible at the moment, or to use the NIX packages which is a really good option but you may have lib incompatibility when there's huge things, for example GL related software)

I provided one, though @triantares would probably be able to improve it:

Not really as I've no idea (I don't have nvidia) what this "-x" flag actually does. :face_with_head_bandage:

Gathering what @Thanatermesis wrote: I get that the installer will install anything required to make the driver work so wouldn't that make it "extra optional packages" ? Just to emphasize that the flag isn't really needed, nor the packages to make the installation work, as it should. :thinking:

I ran a machine on Arch for a while a year ago but I got sick and tired of the continual, massive daily updates. Just a waste of time for hardly any any perceivable benefits. :frowning_face:
I think if I wanted cutting edge stuff I'd go the NIX route or flatpaks. Both have their specific pros and cons, of course.

They're just extra features. For example, installing CUDA support.

I don't see how running pacman -Syu every day or so is a major issue?

Flatpaks have a lot of overhead just for writing software for myself. Nix is something I might try, but Arch has a lot more info available online.

In any case, we are now :offtopic:.

Well if I don't see any benefits why should I go through that routine? It's not an issue, it's a waste of time and bandwidth.

OTOH Try leaving it alone for a few weeks (i.e go on a holiday) and then say that again.
Eventually it refused to update properly (not sure anymore what was missing, some repos I guess) so I stopped doing that and just left it as it was ..... but eventually grew tired of it and installed Elive again.

Very off-topic indeed. :madness:

This is an important point to consider on linux distros, I mean Elive is very great on that, as @triantares said the cutting edge stuff (if really required) can be managed with NIX or other ways while keeping a very function system that is good in not making the user to lose its time, so that's one of the good benefits of Elive, I say that because may be important to mention this feature / characteristic on the website :thinking:

I'm still waiting for @TheTechRobo to do that :rofl2:

ok sorry :offtopic:

1 Like