Ok this is getting out of hand (look at screenshot)

You cannot tell me that a FULL-BLOWN DE is taking up 55 MB OF RAM. (Right now 33.8MB)

This is epic.

2 Likes

well,
am not convinced that I would call E a full blown up DE,
but in any case - that's cool ( if this measurement is correct {?} )
:shocked:

Heheh, in the same situation E16 only uses about 14.9 Mb.
But there's more running to have all the fun we're used to. :magick:

I seem to be "out of sync" with others every time I switch DE for long term use ..... I am on E16 again since I wanted to make/mod it be "modern", whatever that may be. :nod:

Methinks there is nothing wrong on that.
Why not E16 then?
Prolly we are the only ones using it in a serious way, ya? No ?

:madness:

1 Like

So.
And now you have tell my PC with 64GB of RAM -
what to do with the rest of the daytime.....

:surprise:

1 Like

Umm, run Catalina (and Leopard) in Vbox? :hot:

Normally I use Vbox fullscreen but made it smaller to show off...and I've only got 8G RAM. :shocked:

Sheesh, I started off with a whopping 35Mb hard drive on my PC running Win3.1 ..... my first PC with a GUI. :shocked:

2 Likes

Yep, that's sweet.
(Leopard is useless, though)

dont even try to install big sur. its download is 13GB and it needs an additional 35GB during installation ... not great.

hm....why?

I use it daily and love it.

Apart from the frequent crashes.

true, but just goes to show how little a minimal install could be. why, we could realistically have a 100MB system - it'd just be garbage.

There's a GUI system to checkout that's really minimal: Mulinux.
It's really old but sometimes I still run it on very old hardware, just for the fun of it. :madness:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mulinux/files/

1 Like

is the measurement correct? thank you

Well it's correct for the RAM usage of the desktop environment, but like triantares said, there's a lot more running than that. cough cough systemd :nod:

With my current minmal settings using tint2 I got E16 down to 10.5 Mb. :happy_dance:

You are the true master of e16. :madness:

I do not understand why the installation should be restricted?

What do you mean? Your quote is too broad.

Well for one:
The size for an install shouldn't be bigger than a a standard data DVD i.e 4.7Gb especially considering that dual layered DVDs never broke through.

I'll give that a lot of us probably install through flashdrives but there are still many machines which are only DVD bootable and not USB.
In time maybe Elive should also offer a minimal net-instal option allowing installers to download/install/upgrade exactly what they want. Nothing new there: Debian has had that option for ages. :nod:

1 Like

Yeah, we could use a very stripped down version of elive installer, install the base system, then finish installing from hard drive*. Or even do the install directly.

*That's what Windwos used to use. I'm not feeling so sure about that idea anymore. Especially since we could just do the install directly, not sure what I was thinking.