Open Office installed - no entries made in e menu in 3.0.4 Stable

Hi. Elive newcomer here. I've just installed Elive 3.0.4 32bit on a old computer (AMD XP 2000 and Geforce 6800 (NV40) ).

Seems to work just fine. Because I intend to use it for presentation, I figured out that current Libre Office was little too old version, so I figured Open Office still have a 32bit version for debian.

Therefore I went ahead to the [Open Office web site downloaded the package.
Then I followed this guideline openoffice.com/download/common/instructions (cannot post links and no workaround) fixed by @TheTechRobo
--> Look at the botton of the page, under " Linux DEB-based Installation"

The files are located where I can find them, and I've also made links to the shell scripts files as the guide suggested.

Working
I can open about any of the shell scripts under /opt/openoffice4/program from within the file explorer, and it runs just fine.

Not working
After installing Open Office, it didn't make any updates to the menu. I have searched on the web but I cannot find a guide on how to manually manipulate/add a new item to the menu.

Also, when try to Run everything --> soffice, it says

Blockquote
Application run error
Enlightenment was unable to run the application
soffice
Blockquote

welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your stay! :w00t:

go into the settings of E17, and find "Personal Application Launchers".

you can then set it to run a terminal command.

sorry that im brief but i do not exactly remember e17/e24, lol. been so long since i used it.

hope this helps.

Thanks for your help, however I'm not able to find anything, spend at least a couple of hour looking around in menus and file system.

Maybe I can add a new item to the bottom bar application list ?

What you can do is create a .desktop file in "/usr/share/applications/" which should show up in the menu...depending on what category you add it.

In this (it's e16 oriented but works on e17 too) tutorial, I explain how to do that for "rofi" but would be very similar for openoffice, albeit there are some changes to be made. :smile_cat:

Just fired up Stable and had a look.
Apparently you didn't fully get @TheTechRobo 's answer, i.e it was spot-on. :applause:

On that machine I added "palemoon" as a web browser. :smile_cat:

Thank you very much, I managed to make a shortcut to Open Office from the menu. The topic I assume solved, only some minor things left (see bottom).

I used the libreoffice.desktop as a template (wasn't removed upon Libre Office uninstall) in the

#
# This file path
# file:///usr/share/applications/openoffice.desktop
#
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Terminal=false
NoDisplay=false
Icon=libreoffice-startcenter
Type=Application
Categories=Office
#Exec=soffice %U
Exec=/opt/openoffice4/program/soffice
MimeType=application/vnd.openofficeorg.extension;
Name=OpenOffice
GenericName=Office
Comment=Open office (evt. kommentarfelt her).
StartupNotify=true
X-GIO-NoFuse=true
#StartupWMClass=libreoffice-startcenter
X-KDE-Protocols=file,http,smb,ftp,webdav

##Define Actions
Actions=OpenOffice;Writer;Calc;Impress;Draw;Base;Math;

[Desktop Action OpenOffice]
Name=Ope Office start
Exec=/opt/openoffice4/program/soffice

[Desktop Action Writer]
Name=Text Document
Exec=/opt/openoffice4/program/swriter

[Desktop Action Calc]
Name=Spreadsheet
Exec=/opt/openoffice4/program/scalc

[Desktop Action Impress]
Name=Presentation
Exec=/opt/openoffice4/program/simpress

[Desktop Action Draw]
Name=Drawing
Exec=/opt/openoffice4/program/sdraw

[Desktop Action Base]
Name=Database
Exec=/opt/openoffice4/program/sbase

[Desktop Action Math]
Name=Formula
Exec=/opt/openoffice4/program/smath

##End of actions menu

There is a couple of minor things not working properly, probably me doing some wrong:

• I must include full path. Otherwise it get an error message saying soffice failed to open (no more info than that).
  • Links to the specifig programs in office suite doesn't work (e.g. link to Calc) - can I assume this require some other setting file as well to work ?

You can create a the command "soffice" yourself in i.e "/usr/bin" or "/usr/share/bin" and link it to the soffice comnand in /opt/
That way you wont need to keep using the full path.

This would probably be the solution to your second niggle too.