Opera is missing?

@triantares :

Bullshit.....................

Since you are the paranoiac herein, am surprised - not in a good way -
about your obvious lack of information and having a big mouth ;
so here you are @triantares , our little smart aleck:

For example : REDDIT:
Most people know Opera is owned by a Chinese consortium since 2016 and quite possibly embeds spyware. Naturally, this is a cause for concern, and I'm sure long term followers of Opera have seen this come up many times:

** Opera browser sold to a Chinese consortium for $600 million*
** Is Opera (now owned by Chinese Golden Brick) still safe?.*
** Can Opera still be trusted?.*
** Is Opera Really Safe Now That It's Owned By A Chinese Company?*
** Opera, for example, is a Norwegian company operating under Norwegian privacy laws, which are among the best when it comes to protecting people’s privacy.*
** Is it still possible to trust Opera Browser?*
** I just find out that Opera, an Internet browser that I've been using for years, has been sold out to the Chinese in 2016. Is anyone still using Opera or should I abandon ship?*
** Why do people say Opera is not safe?*
** Privacy issues with Opera??*

After reading through these, there is an obvious pattern of concern by Opera users for the protection of their privacy. The privacy policy seems to check out (does anyone even read those?) and although it seems very few (if any) have had any real problems since the purchase, spyware is called spy ware for a reason. You're not going to get alerts of your data being collected, and if truly spyware, no policies are going to mention it either.

I always try to be secure with my online presence (i.e. agressive privacy settings, not sharing personal info, etc.), but it seems that gets more difficult as the years go on. I even have Pi-Hole set up to block trackers and ads, but that only goes so far if the spyware is embedded in the Opera servers itself. I guess since it's not open source, there is no real way to know for sure. Even so, I feel like "open source" has become a cheap way to earn trust. Very few people are able to understand code, even fewer actually comb through all the code and fewer still are able to find and decrypt obfuscated code, especially on large repositories. If someone really wants to hide something, publishing under open source isn't going to make a difference. Essentially, whatever you use, there's going to be some degree of trust you must instill to the company and its developers.

For software where "you are the product," your data is going somewhere. This has become a game of "would I rather have country X have my data, or country Y?" Which is ridiculous. Privacy should be a right, I know I definitely don't need multiple governments and corporations with folders full of my data. I realize some data must be collected (user experience, etc.) but when the flashlight app needs to know my location before it turns on and for some reason is using up 80% of the battery... that's a personal violation and is unacceptable.

I know there are other possible "better" options like Brave, Vivaldi, Water/Firefox, and probably lots others. And ultimately it's up to you to weigh the pros and cons of features, privacy, style, and whatever else may be important to you. I just find it sad we are forced to be so distrusting of everything we do tech wise, and some people I know just don't care. It doesn't directly affect them, so why not give all my data away? (See Snowden's response here).

I guess this turned into more of a rant. I've just really enjoyed Opera so far and disappointed I was naive enough to think it didn't have its own problems.

You are welcome.... :nanana:

:madness: :rofl2:

1 Like

I don't think he say that because is against the idea of that opera can be spyware, but just about the importance of giving sources / references in important statements (just like how wikipedia does). About "experts says" he shows an example of those publicity's statements without proofs (instagram is now flooded even more than the TV at 3 AM selling magic devices for your house)

Is there any word for that kind of shitie publicity's that floods the world since ages ? :thinking:

1 Like

Fake-news

well, ya...
But when @triantares gives comments like the one above, be sure to read between the lines...

= imperative

= improve that you aren't that stupid in this way, too (hidden imperative)

That said - he is begging for a reply in this kind of melody, no ?

Don't worry - we will erase this dispute a bit later :happy_dance:

Don't erase (imperative), the thread turned out quite well with you giving concise arguments as to why Opera is not a good choice.
Lots and lots better than "officially known" ....... who would be "official" on browsers anyway. Arnesen, Gates?

BTW, I read somewhere, a short while back that "Brave" has some dire cons as well when it comes to spyware but cannot find it anymore. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Yes, I affirmative.

Please stop spreading rumors, thank you so much in advance :musical_score:

I am not ... I'm just a tad paranoid when it comes to being offered money (bitcoins) for free.

I haven't got the time to check the ins and outs how everything works and whether it's only the Android version or all versions of Brave that offer tokens.
They are clearly having a boost lately, though. :thinking:

2 Likes

Prolly on the Android variant only;
I never realized something like this on Desktop systems, whether on Linux nor macOS, for the fake stuff from Redmond - I dunno/care
:roll_of_toilet_paper:

(Source of this info: me, myself and I) :nanana:

When I was reading about it it said that in the settings there was an option for "attention ads" or something similar...

Maybe that was changed, it was a few months ago while I wanted to install it on WinXP (before I had Elive, Manjaro really sucked)

1 Like