Proofreading English using Eltrans

Ah nice for the tip, i didn't know that xterm (xterm only) feature :slight_smile: , i have noted it for a possible future implementation since its a bit tricky

let's use verified then for now :slight_smile:

liked your proofreadings :slight_smile:

I was just betatesting eltrans with your modifications and there's an important thing to know: when there's an english proofread (modification of sentence), after the package has been rebuilt, these modified sentences will show up again in eltrans as sentences that requires proofreading

this is in fact, not possible to avoid, its normal that this happens, but is important to know :slight_smile: because the proofreader will think that his changes has not been made (but they have been, its just that they are inevitably marked that way

solution? when you (or the equivalent proofreader) sees these sentences back, just open eltrans and mark them again as proofreaded, (if you don't modify them again, they will not appear again)

UPDATE: all the already-verified ones has been enabled to be proofreaded

hm? which ones?

In general, the way you improve the English

@TheTechRobo: I just updated the applications "usb-bootable-elive elive-tools elive-daemons smb-browser", which means that, like explained before, maybe the messages that has been modified shows up now in eltras as fuzzy / requires-review (but not the marked as non-fuzzy / reviewed), so please check them again since you know which things you modified on them :slight_smile: and just mark them as "reviewed" since you already did it before (yes, as explained before, this is a bit annoying but is not really possible to change)

BTW I didn't review much the changes but I just found this sentence which I changed to another one, not sure how much correctly-english is but it is not translatable-friendly in any case (automated translations, translates it to a strange sentence): https://dev.elivecd.org/changeset/5337

So, at least for now, bots won't replace us. :madness:

ok

yeah, I have to start the google translate check thingy ... have been doing it for a few strings but need to integrate it completely.

ill do a bit rn

BTW:

Maybe you should set up a specific deb repo for eltrans.

I find myself installing the deb file onto my Chromebook because, well, I can. :madness: (Plus, I don't currently have a working elive box. Would show a picture of the charger's state but too lazy :ohmygod:). Which is annoying since sometimes I have to update the deps like gksu, elive-tools,... would be much simpler to just update the whole system and get eltrans updates there. :thinking:

but helps gigantly :slight_smile: just check how many (automated) translations we have for elive in already very good quality (in a 95% or more), that we can still improve later

sorry, I don't understand the exact problem :), debs can be installed in any Linux ox with different tools easily, so what's exactly the issue you encounter by using it in other oses? which is of course a deep topic, since an entire os is an entire different os, dependencies should be managed correctly and all, but at last elive tools does it in a pretty good way, in any case, I need more specific details - if you want, open another thread about this other-oses compatibility

I mean - right now, I download debs from the buster repo, which is a bit annoying. The only way I know that it needs an update is if eltrans runs apt update.

http://repo.buster.elive.elivecd.org/pool/main/e/eltrans/

I even put up an archive.org thingy, for others.

not really, eltrans check for updates without using apt which is much faster and lighter :slight_smile: this feature was implemented in order to update the installer in the lightest way possible, basically it gets the info from the url and compares the version, finally it uses dpkg to install it

:confusing:

See the first few lines after the prompt

yeah, used it in youtube-dl-gui. :slight_smile:

well, these things happens when you are not using a "real" elive system :thinking:

Yes, which is why I was suggesting a separate repo for eltrans.

this is quite confusing and complex, I don't quite get the purpose of a separate repo which will increase the complexity and time in develop, but the main thing is that eltrans itself seems to work without issues, the only issue is elsewhere, not even in a dependency but probably how is configured your OS, so since it is not an elive system, things cannot be exactly the same way :slight_smile: , you may probably fix it by having the elive repo in your sources list under this filename: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/aaa-elive.list

If I'm not wrong, the upgrading tool searches on this file for elive repo and checks if there's an update

Could not commit from eltrans - zenity is screwed up on my end so I couldn't click OK.

its important to verify that the commit is correct and not damaging the files (otherwise, just revert it then), so verified it on the website and looks fine (msgstr's on their place, etc): https://dev.elivecd.org/changeset/5340

btw just try to reload your desktop to fix any "clicky" problems :thinking: (ctrl + alt + end)

Using the chromebook. There is no desktop in crostini.

And yeah, translation should be correct - I modified it in eltrans but couldn't commit from it. so i just ran svn commit.

ill try that

so crostini is bugged :slight_smile:

sounds good

Yes. Wish I could use crouton (crostini but better), but I'd need to delete everything to enter into chromebook developer mode. :ohmygod: