Setting up an EFL environment?

So I want to develop with EFLs (mainly for making an Elive-centric control panel). I copy paste the sample code from their hello world GUI tutorial, and one of the header files (eina) isn't found. So I go to install libeina-dev...

http://paste.openstack.org/show/800768/

The following packages will be REMOVED:
elicit elicit-data enlightenment entrance entrance-data ephoto ephoto-data
eruler eruler-data expedite expedite-data libefl-data libefl-dev libefl1
rage-player rage-player-data terminology terminology-data

I go to try libeina (not -dev) and it says something like "no installation candidate, try libefl-dev" which was already installed.

How do I properly set up my EFL environment?

Methinks, to keep your box sane that you should setup a Virtualbox environment for that.
Try exlight for that, it doesn't have E16 getting in the way and is BullsEye based:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/exlight/files/latest/download

For more info:
http://exlight.exton.net/

On current Elive there's a lot of stuff that has e16 specific stuff and on top:
Chances are that EFL as shown on the Enlightenment pages is E17 centric and hasn't been updated in a while.

You stumbled on THE big Enlightenment Achilles heel : It's incredibly hard to start something as a newby because most docs are either outdated or not available at all or worse, non-existant. :eyepopping:

My CPU doesn't have virtualization capabilities. Lightweight distro is one of the main reasons I found elive, so I installed it on a piece of garbage.

:frowning:

Not so sure you need those capabilities for Virtualbox but you could also run Extlight as a live system or as dual boot and test from there.

I'd use/try the live version and see if that will install (or already has) the needed libeina-dev.
Chances are that wont work either .... I don't know, I never tried.

VBox always gives me an error and looking it up it's that the CPU dosn't have virtualisation capabilities

I'll try Later

OK, fixed. It required a special gcc command that had shell ` in it that I thought were formatting errors. Completely my fault.

You'd be pleasantly surprised to note it uses "midnight blue" as default theme and is indeed lightweight. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Running Firefox on the first Virtual desktop there --- live version this. :smiley14:

1 Like

downloading right away :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: 4 hours remaining and a guru meditation

Considering how long it's going to take I'm considering going on the wii

Offtopic:

I HATE MYSELF FOR CHOOSING PYTHON FIRST
EFLS LOOK SO COMPLICATED

Don't if you don't need to: It takes forever to download (from sourceforge), only has a few programs pre-installed, it requires "connman-gtk" to be called to connect and does not know "libeina-dev"albeit "libeinala" is known.

OTH it's a nice way to experience how well Elive is setup by default. :mwahaha:

1 Like

You are talking to the guy who is supposed to get 5mbps, actually gets 3mbps, and whose computers turn that into anywhere from 60-400 KBps (but mostly 60-200) :face_with_head_bandage: stupid bell

but yeah i'll stop downloading

no, you don't need to install libeina or any EFL dependency in Elive, all of them are included in libefl-dev, you don't need extra packages that are listed on howtos

just try the source codes in your Documents dir (live mode demo files), they are opened in scite, so from it click in the "build" or "run" button, you will see that they directly compiles and runs the efl gui app

As I said:​​​​​