Software-Manager not updating system

Hi all
The software app warns me that there are some updates available. Fine. I clicl on the 'update" buttton, and then...nothing... Dead end.
I have to tell that the app tells on opening that "there was a problem", no other precision.
My question: how to delete the app, reinstall it with a terminal?
Many thanks
Eric

Which app? The software manager?

In all cases you can circumvent (and repair) the software app by using the "apug" command in the terminal.
If all goes well, your system will be updated, if not: You'll get messages as to why.

Thanks triantares. I type apug sofware? This is the software manager that bugs.

No just 'apug' to update and upgrade your system.

After that I'd just use the software manager to find and install applications.

I did it. All updated. But no way, software manager still bugging. I removed it. But how to re-install? Type api software manager? Didn't work. What the name to type?

Well the shortcut on Elive to install would be 'api NAME' and to do a search; 'apse STRING'.

As to the "software manager" (From the menu-> Administration-> Software)
, it's slow but should simply work ...... re-installing doesn't quite work as it would in Windows but we'd use the "sudo dpkg-reconfigure PACKAGENAME' command.
In your case that would be:'sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-software' if indeed we are referring to the same app .....you weren't totally clear on that.

Thanks. We are actually talking about the software manager, the app that you can use to search/install/delete programs.
I did sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-software.
The answer was: **dbind-WARNING : 10:26:49.947: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any service files. /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: gnome-software est cassé ou partiellement installé (gnome software is broken or partially installed).
I think I have to remove ot (which command?), and then reinstall.
OK for you?
~ ❯❯❯

No worry :smiley:

The remove command would 'apr gnome-software' but .......

gnome-software shouldn't be having errors that wouldn't also show up when upgrading your system via the terminal.
The above dpkg errors do suggest there's a lot more going on with your system than just the software manager. Could you copy/paste the output of 'inxi -r' here?

BTW, the api, apug, apr commands are actually aliases to 'apt'.
To see which one's you've got on your machine do: 'alias | grep apt'
Where 'apif' by itself is the command that can be used to fix broken or partial installs in general.

Hi!
To complete the scenery:

• I installed elive beta version on a 64 bits PC
  • It "upgraded" a Kubuntu system already present.
  • I left a dual boot with W10.
    The command "inxi -r" gives....nothing.

Sorry !

That might partly be the reason for your mishaps.

Where I suspect the commandline output would have to give you a message to install "inxi" if the app cannot be found. Just do 'api inxi' to install it.

Hi,
this is the return of inxi-r;

Repos:
No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/aaa-elive.list
1: deb http://repo.buster.elive.elivecd.org/ buster main elive efl games ports fixes drivers multimedia non-free
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
1: deb Index of /debian buster main contrib non-free
2: deb-src Index of /debian buster main contrib non-free #Added by software-properties
3: deb http://deb.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main contrib non-free
4: deb Index of /debian buster-backports main contrib non-free
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dropbox.list
1: deb [arch=i386,amd64] Index of /debian/ buster main
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ggg-marillat.list
1: deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org buster main non-free
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
1: deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main

Thanks for your help.

Well your repositories don't look strange in any way so the next step would be to grind down on the error message.

Considering the 'org.a11y.Bus'was not provided' message, it could mean that dbus core isn't installed (not sure whether KDE requires it).
To check that use: 'apse at-spi2' where the output should at least show 'at-spi2-core' as [installed] and libatspi2.0-dev' as [installed, automatic]. It could be that you'll find 'qt-at-spi' installed too, as a KDE remnant.

If either of these 2 (libatspi2.0 should definitely be installed already) are not installed, then install them with the 'api at-spi2-core' command.

If you want a full explanation of what a certain program does, or brings along as dependencies, you can use the 'apsh' command:

triantares ~ ❯❯❯ apsh -a at-spi2-core
Package: at-spi2-core
Version: 2.38.0-4~bpo10+1
Priority: optional
Section: misc
Maintainer: Debian Accessibility Team <pkg-a11y-devel@alioth-lists.debian.net>
Installed-Size: 430 kB
Depends: libatspi2.0-0 (>= 2.9.90), libc6 (>= 2.7), libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.9.14), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.37.3), libx11-6, libxtst6
Breaks: gdm3 (< 3.4)
Homepage: https://wiki.gnome.org/Accessibility
Download-Size: 72.7 kB
APT-Sources: http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports/main amd64 Packages
Description: Assistive Technology Service Provider Interface (dbus core)
 This package contains the core components of GNOME Accessibility.

As you can see above, 'libatspi2.0-0' is pulled in as a dependency, so no need to install that seperately.

LOL
Doing this 'trouble-shooting' you'll be a wizard in commandline installing in no time .... loosing the need for the 'software manager' anyway. :smiley14:

But it would be nice to find out if this is in anyway related to cross-grading from Kubuntu to Elive or something else. :thinking:

note that software-manager in buster seems to be a bit unstable, the one from bullseye should work better

On a same level:
When I crossgraded my wife's Ubuntu 18.04 to Elive-buster there were no problems with dbus integration as it already used gnome.
There was a slight mishap though: '/usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb-util.so.0' was needed by an application like 'rofi' and needed to be created/linked to so.1.

• I'm not sure whether Ubuntu never had so.0 in the first place but I suspect so, considering 'apt' didn't throw any warnings.

I would like to find out if the missing dbus fuctionality @Eric_Jouin experienced there, is down to Kubuntu being Qt specific i.e whether this could be a recurring thingy or not. :upside_down_face:

Hi all,
is Bullseyes an alternative to software-manager? Didn't find it with "api";

No.
Elive is based on Debian, and the current Beta is built on Debian Buster.
The next version of Debian is Debian Bullseye, and is what we are planning on upgrading Elive to, after we make a "retro" snapshot.

I've just posted a Howto here:
https://forum.elivelinux.org/t/howto-upgrade-elive-beta-e16-painlessly-from-a-buster-base-to-bullseye