Synaptic Package Manager

When you ( experienced Linux people) are your using Synaptic Package Manager?

Coming from the Windows, Mac, IOS world, when I 1st starting using linux ( Ubuntu, mint, etc) I always noticed that Synaptic Package Manager was present but always used the distro SOFTWARE Manager or simply used apt-get install or remove command from the command line

In which case it is usefull and more appropriate to use it ?

in years using linux, I always use sudo get-install, or downloaded deb file and clicked them or used ( ubuntu), mnore recently, snap command to install or use the software manager from the distro I was using (and they often use flatpak / snap nowadays)
JF

1 Like

I rarely use synaptics, but i usually find it way more useful than distro’s software centers (which i never use) since it shows all the dependencies that is going to download and let’s me easily find out what i am downloading.
I don’t like snap, at all.

1 Like

OK I just played, searched, installed and installed software with it ( what I should have tried before) and I now get it, how it’s working
JF
I also understand we can search for names of apps, as long as the REPO we have configured include those

1 Like

they are different tools for the same thing, i preffer to use the simple apt-get, which gives me more than enough what I need, and of course faster and without depend of a mouse clicks

why? I would like to hear opinions :slight_smile:

for unexperienced linux user or unexperienced command line user, snap is soooo cool
simple to install, to uninstall, update...

I know "some application" installed using snap, as they are not installed the traditionnal way and are somekind of isolated, will have difficulty to interact with the rest of the operating system....

i tried it as soon as it was released, and it didn't work properly. i lately tried it when made my sister move to linux (looked pretty much more user friendly than using terminal or synaptics) and it took forever to dowbload spotify. Moreover, a few months ago i read an article about its lack of safety:

which makes me think that debian repositories are pretty much more reliable.
It's a personal choice anyway, like i never use the windows 10's store. So if u were thinking to ship it directly into elive, i think it'd be a great idea for less linux friendly users!
P.S.: that's not the actual article i read, since it was in italian, but was a little bit more accurate about snap store weak points!

Good points, some time ago I tried to install a package, i dont remember if was snap, and the result of how it worked was absolutely crapware, i mean, entirely bad quality installed… in more details: it installed the data in the /tmp directory (which is removed in every reboot) and leaved existing .desktop files in the user’s home, of course referenced to unexisting data

You may think that it is not the snap’s fault, but the author of that package… but not really, the tool should include a correctly made internal structure, following rules of quality and similar things, just like debian packages does, a tool that let’s things to work “in any way” just leads to a world of crapware (like wordpress does :speak_no_evil: )

About safety, this is a very important point, “who” is the author of these packages? anybody? this is not safe, what you install must be trusted but authoritative people or signed (certified) by authoritative people at least

1 Like

If I’m not wrong the author of these malicious apps even left hints in the source code! There was also something funny like “my 1st Ferrari” as email or something like that… Luckily he was just a dumbass messing around, think what have would happened if the package was released by someone with real bad intentions!