The speed is insane

I just edited a video on a pentium 4 with 2gb of ram, in avidemux.

Wow I love elive. Keep it up! :w00t:

2 Likes

I've tried out a lot but have never found any better, be it stability, speed, ease or beauty (albeit in the last category there are other contenders) ..... on old or new hardware.
:applause:

2 Likes

Testing the live-USB version of the minimal-retro on an old Thinkpad X61T with only 2G Ram ..... it does everything at anazing speed. :applause:

Even playing movies doesn't make the machine flinch.

Base startup is a mere 286Mb RAM usage

Test for yourself if you like, the hybrid.iso here:
https://triantares.ddns.net/Elive/E16-Retro/elive-minimal-e16-hybrid.iso

It doesn't offer an "install" option (albeit, you could if you really want to) just a way of running it.
Feel free to download, try and comment. :smile_cat:

NB
The user is "elive" and password is "evile" .... else use the "guest" login which has no password (and no privileges).

1 Like

Idk guys, i just "bought" the latest elive version. With e24 everything is so friggin unstable that most people may say it's not too usable yet on a daily basis.
On the other hand, my god the speed of this thing is so addictive i cannot have enough of it.
And seriously, auto completition in vim??? What are we talking about??? Lately i'm working on a full sized IOT infrastructure, completely managed, coded and organized within a terminology window. I'm dead, i love this thing @Thanatermesis. Are u delivering us some sort of version without GUI? Please? Or some sort of package i can install on any debian system so that all the servers i deal with have the elive tools built in their terminals??? Or do you have hints on how should i do it myself? I don't want to go back to everytday plain linux/windows ever again

1 Like

Your wishes have come true: :magick:

https://github.com/Elive/elive-for-servers

It works fine on my home servers.
Be sure to really be 'root' when you run the script (i.e 'su' or 'sudo su')...... only a 'sudo' prefix isn't good enough.

2 Likes

Works fine on my (Ubuntu) one too, except it does seem to try to update the kernel which results in a panic. :thinking:

Thank you!
Will try it immediately

Exactly what happens ....... initrd not being created or what?

No clue... Because it's a shared VPS i had to uninstall the new version immediately after I realised the problem.

The old one was 5.4.0-81-generic IIRC, the new one 5.4.0-91-generic.

I managed to boot back into it because the old kernel was still available in boot options.

I'm not sure I follow there i.e why you HAD to uninstall, considering the "available boot options". :thinking:

I'm taking you're still booting into an "Elivized" server despite using an older kernel so no real harm is done. :smiley:

Read the code and cherry pick what you need is also an alternative. :magick:

If the server ever rebooted, I'd have to be there to reset the server after the panic and then choose the older kernel.

yes