Translations of Elive

Hmm the correction is indeed erroneous .

That kind of error will keep showing up though, as long as there's a culture of using Cancel where No should be used .... and 'eltrans' separating the text from the widgets, where the buttons are actually part of the question isn't helpful in that respect.

'Cancel' IMO should abort and clear whatever process is being initiated whereas 'No' is a negating answer to a question during a process.

i know :slight_smile:
that's a kind of limitation of these widgets, on the other hand there's some options in zentiy and yad for that:

--ok-label
              Set the text of the OK button

--cancel-label
              Set the text of the cancel button

so maybe some important widgets can be improved using that

yeah but it is like this everywhere (in every translated software), there's just the messages showing and nothing more, except that we can add comments in the translations

yep that's true, ok let me note that to improve the installer in all the "question" widgets to see if they needs a no instead

1 Like

Installer has moved many widgets to yes-no mode

So much progress these days in the translations! :applause:

2 Likes

I was wrong. Since then a lot moved in translation and new versions are out. Maybe this was exact the right action at the right time.
Thank you, @Emil!

3 Likes

You are very welcome! Sometimes things seem to be so overdue that some words by someone from outside can trigger a lot of action.
This week I will look through all the translations in the installer and see what I think...

Considering everything is still in motion and every change has to (short version) be checked, re-checked, changed, re-submitted, checked, validated, translated and published ...... don't hold your breath. :smiley14:

If you want to be on top of things it'll require either reading the .po files and/or signing into 'eltrans'.

@Emil good! you can also run the last build (going to be uploaded in 20 minutes) that you can found here: Elive builds on Bullseye: first isos - #42 by Thanatermesis which includes many fixes and lots of english corrections by @triantares & @TheTechRobo , in fact i think all the translations are now ready (except a few messages remaining for elive-tools, but still should be fine)

BTW, I pointed a journalist from c't, the most important German computer magazine to Elive. The reason was that they had published a major article on running Linux on Macs. This article focused on Xubuntu and its setup and tweaks in order to make it look and feel as much as possible like MacOS after the switch.
I told him about my Elive experience with my Mac mini and how happy I am with it, and got a very nice and friendly reply.
Hope this will help spread the word to some extent...

1 Like