Ubuntu Gnome, Ubuntu Budgie, Linux Mint, bunsenlabs

Hello Elive citizens,

I had to use Ubuntu/Gnome a lot recently for 1 month (cool when you get to know all the tricks)… Enough to tell you, Elive is so much faster, stable and the way we see things (windows, Virtual Desktop (workspacxe) IS SO MUCH BETTER IN ELIVE !

I worked 2 or 3 Years with Linux Mint, 1 or 2 years with Ubuntu Budgie, and a lot with Gnome for the last 6 month. I don’t hate them, they are all cool and have their different way of doing things.

But when you work with " a lot of windows ", that you need speed and stability, ELIVE is the winner !

Yes workspace gadgets/tools exist in all Linux distribution, I have Linux Mint of one Laptop I am presently working with, https://www.bunsenlabs.org on another slow Laptop (I love bunsenlabs, fast and stable ) but it is less user friendly for non technical people) and when not force to use Ubuntu Gnome on my main Desktop, I am using ELive and I can tell you the way we can use WorkSpaces (Desktop) in Elive in the top right corner (I don’t hide the workspace management gadget) where can see all of our applications, is so much easier !

And did I say it ? Fast Fast Fast and stable.

My thunderbird mail client in Ubuntu has so many email accounts and a lot of mails in each of this acccounts that he’s starting to not be able to manage it ( slow, lag and so on)… Never experienced that in ELive…

2 Likes

to continue my linux learning journey, I read a lot recently about ARCH and have been using my other SSD disk to try Manjaro (arch derived)…

Stable and fast like crazy ( i love it… ) Had some GUI glitches with KDE/PLasma (Manjaro) and moved to XFCE

I love the AUR and manjaro repository (once you know how, easy to install about anyting)… Easy to install software and " a lot of it " if you include AUR in the possibility.

But, in my day to day I have to work with " a lot " of windows opened… And today I was overwhelm by work and pressure and could not deal with all of that on my XFCE Manjaro interface and rebooted in Elive LOL

Still prefer Elive GUI over KDE and XFCE

And I just re-edited this comment to add : Elive seem faster than Manjaro " I think " LOL the impression I have…

JF

1 Like

do you have swap enabled here ... :omfg::eyepopping:

@yoda: I meant on Manjaro ! ?

1 Like

HUm I am a bit lost in the thread but I am using Elive on all computer since we have 64 bits and a 32 bits with a recent kernel.
Not using Manjaro XFCE anymore

THough I have a question for @Thanatermesis

On slow computer with 1 or 2 GB or RAM, does the installer offer a SWAP partition by default ? Or never ? Or it should ?

All my PC have enough RAM to not bother about it,.... as for my 2 GB ram slow pc, I don't even remember if it has a SWAP file... Will take a look next time I boot

If it doesn't, should I create a swap file on a slow computer with 2 GB Ram, with a small SSD drive 32 GB ? If I should, then, Elive installer should offer it ?

tks !

Yes yes yes
if you want " hibernate" size it 2x your ram installed

IF I don't hibernate ?

IF I don,t open a lot of apps as the same time on that slow computer, that SWAP file is useless no ?

tks @Rebel450

At least in latest alpha releases if you delete all the HDD Elive will make a swap partition, in my both 1Gb Ram laptops the default swap size made by Elive were 1,4 Gb in both.

Same,
since you are on SSD, it will not pain you with lack of speed.
Tested and confirmed by Rebel450. LOL

Which is usually too less for Debian/Ubuntu,
I discussed that issue earlier herein,
it is true that Elive is more humble when it comes to memory management, but in cases like @yoda,
(many tabs open, continuesly traffic with several mail accounts and so on, I would even extend the swap partition to 6 GB)
EDIT:
As long we are talking about SSD...

2 Likes

I have actually 5 Gb swap and in both systems never used more than one and a half, system is globally more responsive, so yes, for crappy systems I suggest at least 4-5 Gb swap size

1 Like

well, that's another thing:

a computer with less than 1.5 gb of ram will automount the swap partitions (thats a good thing for most of the Live cases in any case), this will of course not allow you to resize them while you are using them (just like a normal partition does the same thing too when its used)

for less than 800 mb of ram (approx) it is suggested to use a partition to create a swapfile

the installer has not much relation with this, the using of swap is up to the user to add it or autopartitioned, or used automatically if detected (or it will always ask for add it if not already added)

you can umount swaps with "sudo swapoff -a" or show them with "sudo swapon -s"

swap is a very delicated thing, for most of the cases and specially for mechanical disks is not even a good idea to have them, if you "start" using swap because your ram is full, your computer becomes entirely blocked (saturated big lag) and you will probably end up doing a forced shutdown, the non-swap alterantive is just "applications crashing when out of ram", so the first option -may- be good for servers and important things but for end users, its more an issue than a feature, i personally think that the swap system should be better designed :thinking:

by other side, looks like a bit "needed" for low ram

what is better option? I don't really know in the end... try it yourself and see if your experience is better with swap than without it :thinking:

you can try without repartition using a swapfile instead

for hibernate is a bit needed too, there's an alternative (create a swap-file in-time) but is not implemented

hibernation is not a big featured (used) in fact, you should have enough with "suspend" and a simple shutdown

2 Likes

the calculation is auto, this should be enough for hibernate and for "saving" (if you are using already half of your ram you should be in big troubles lol)

yes it is strict, same for EFI partition, not wasting your disk (unless you have a BIG disk), calculation is progressive / adapted to the disk size

I've been sick until now sow I have no time to take a closer look to the forum, I'm now trying to update all discussions and I read this, I'm now trying to work with swap disabled in a 2 GB RAM system, if results are positives I'll try to do the same with only 1 GB. Actually both laptops has 5 GB swap partition and load swap average is about 1,5 GB.....

I'll write here my conclusions in some time.

1 Like