Upgrading to 3.8.13 - My impression and suggestions

First off I'd comment on this language setting search when booting live:

• I have an encrypted installation so I just have to wait 30 seconds for the internet connection it's not going to find. That's not OK by me, not if we want to make a snappy, fast impression.

After which waiting for further boot-up and the E16 Desktop to finish takes way too long IMHO.
Then at last the hotkeys cheat-sheet document flies by .... which disappears way too fast IMO. I hardly have time to recognize it. :face_with_thermometer:

• I'd say give it at least a "sleep 10" before minimizing.

Upgrading my existing encrypted system works a charm after prompting me for my password. Kudos for that. :w00t:

On reboot I have the issue that I get a very coarse grubmenu, I suspect due to missing i915 firmware.

• shouldn't that just use the framebuffer anyway?

On top I can't manipulate grub to start immediately either so I just have to sit out the time-out at boot (or set the time-out to less or zero myself)

Oh yes:

Whilst preparing there was a minor (well actually not so minor) issue that writing to USB took an awful long time, hanging at 3.4GB for a very long time. Almost similar to downloading with "zsync" which would hang for a very long time at a certain point too.

• Maybe needless to say: The .iso checksummed fine so it wasn't a corrupt download in any way.

And

Elive-health recognizes my Brother printer/scanner way faster now ...... kudos for that. :w00t:

1 Like

noted, let's see if i can improve that

changed from 2 seconds delay to 8 seconds :slight_smile:

mmmh, I'm answering an old version, I think I already fixed that, the cause was that the grub background image was unable to be read because was located on the OS itself which was on an encrypted partition, the updated grub should make a copy of the background to the boot partition now

I assume that should be a bad quality USB media ?

Yes, works fine now. :+1:

No, the media was fine ..... there seemed to be a very large file clogging up the process.
On later versions it never appeared again so of no importance any more. :smiley_cat: