UX aspects of RetroWave tools

yes but im saying (and tried to describe why) this is not a job for an upgrade mode but for the installation mode (just like "elive-upgrader" on the installed system should not ask the user if wants to add a swap, its unrelated to it), if the user wants a swap he can proceed by doing a normal install including a swap or adding it manually, also i mentioned is not really possible adding a swap on already-existing partitioned disks so should be something totally managed by the user on its own, just like if a user wants to change the kernel, install other packages, and so or adding a swap

it depends, a good UX is not about giving all the popups possible about every topic, we should try to include the less popups as possible and use especially the essential ones only, too many information everywhere can only be annoying (and also remember: users don't read). The recommendation of adding a swap like I said before is a future-customization of the user just like adding extra packages, changing the kernel, or compiling software on this own, we cannot suggest everything possible, we can instead create howtos on the forum to guide the user to do some things, but again, the system is already installed and should be not wanted to change the partitioning structure, if the user wants to do that he should instead want to do a new installation with a different structure (or, to repartition his hard disk manually on his own desire and risk, but again, somebody that wants to do that already knows what is a swap partition)

chrom* is picked because it works better, more compatible, faster, and lighter than any other options (we already researched and debated this selection long time ago in the forums)

but yes it can be changed from chrome to chromium in the future versions, which is totally free, but this is not going to happen on this release as I said because this is a big, untested change, otherwise we are again in an endless loop of development without releases and without announcements and there will be no release (and eventually, websites like distrowatch will mark this project as dead), we of course don't want that, the last beta release of Elive is more than half year already and it should be a release every month or two months, the last stable release of elive is already 4 years old, the actual situation is already unacceptable and we don't want it to be even worse

I still don't understand what is the issue you are talking about, we needed to implement the "select variant" feature especially for the intl-altgr need but you are saying that altgr doesn't works, or it does? i don't understand unless you say the issue more specifically and so i can reproduce it too

so just press "esc" or "cancel" in the selection of the language and it will be not touched :thinking: then you can configure the keyboard without touching the language, is this not exactly what you are mentioning?

At this point I still dont know if there is a bug somewhere or not, and yes the user can add a widget on his systray to change the language at his choice

because this is a system configurator that are both related (always a different country has a different keyboard), when the user wants to change one should probably want to change the other, the tool is called "languages and keyboards", is part of the configuration of the system (and again not a switcher-desktop-tool, that's another thing)

so what you suggest for this third question in the configurator? to recommend using altgr? (im not sure this is the case for other languages than EN/US and a few others), the user should not normally require to set any variant keyboard unless he needs to, so what mean? adding a first option called "default" (which sets no variant) or something similar? :thinking:

I just added the .desktop file to show the screens configurator as you mentioned, which is a modification of the original "arand" tool (using an elive wrapper to make it compatible and bug-free for elive), yes the name / genericname / comment can be changed:

Name=Screen settings
GenericName=Resolutions and multiple screens with their positionings
Comment= (empty)

suggestions?

- food time -