VirtualBox upgrade to 6.1.34 is broken

The latest 'VirtualBox' upgrade (in Bullseye) to 6.1.34 appears to be broken. I don't know about the Buster based versions (I think that's lower).

So either wait for a newer upgrade or downgrade to 6.1.32 to have it working.

A temporary "work-around" in some cases is to replace '/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxDDR0.r0' with the one from the previous version ..... :slightly_frowning_face:

Don't do that.
Do an 'apr virtualbox', then download: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.34/virtualbox-6.1_6.1.34-150636.1~Debian~bullseye_amd64.deb
which is a newer 'fixed' version and install that.

Is it that DKMS kernel module thing? I'm running into that.

Nevermind, that was probably me not having the kernel headers installed when I upgraded to Bullseye. (Can't remember - did you put that in your howto?)

dkms is giving strange error messages when I upgrade my kernel to 5.16 but isn't necessarily restricted to virtualbox.

I don't know which Elive base you're running but Buster hasn't reached 6.1.34 yet, I believe.

Bullseye and I regret it. :face_with_head_bandage:

List of my problems
  • Nvidia drivers fucked up and the installer fails to compile them (!!)
  • VirtualBox no longer working
  • Some packages I need don't have Bullseye equivalents so I have to messily use the Buster ones. It works, for now...

I'll probably have to reinstall sometime. I just don't trust the "auto migration" :frowning:

Don't !!!!
The next versions will be Bullseye .... it's inevitable.
I was one of the first to bite the bullit and ..... I'm actually glad I did. :innocent:

Yeah, that'll only work if you keep track of everything you've installed in the meantime, that's my downer too.
So I just do a lot of 'apug' and find a newer kernel every now and then..... i.e a 'sort of' rolling release.

I know, but right now I can't even find kernel headers in the repos.
There's none that I can find for 5.10 bpo5, and there are no newer ones with bpo5. I'm not sure if I can install a different BPO, if I can that'll fix many of my problems.

The bpo version isn't that important, just take the highest.
What I do for my machine:

apse linux-image-5.1 |grep bpo. |grep amd64       

and pick the highest..... currently 5.16.0 bpo4
and install the image and headers.

Oh, I thought the bpo was important.

Installing the newest kernel. :w00t:

Well you know ..... you can always fallback on the previous one, on boot ehh?

Rebooting my system is a pain. :face_with_head_bandage:

Um...?

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/nvidia-current/460.91.03/build/make.log for more information.

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel.  Skipping...

Building module:
cleaning build area...
make -j12 KERNELRELEASE=5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64...(bad exit status: 2)
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/vhba/20210418/build/make.log for more information.
Error!  The /var/lib/dkms/wireguard/1.0.20210219/5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64/x86_64/dkms.conf for module wireguard includes a BUILD_EXCLUSIVE directive which
does not match this kernel/arch.  This indicates that it should not be built.

I'll probably move these messages to another thread (or delete them) later.

why? Just a matter of jumping into TTY1 with 'ctrl+alt+F1' and then hitting 'ctrl+alt+del+ on my machine.

I just had the same message on installing.
The message on the wrong 'arch' is strange ..... must be something wrong there. :frowning_face:

It's not the reboot that's the problem. It's that I'm constantly running non-resumable long-running processes. :frowning:

Most of those are X11 related or have to do with disk encryption.
On TTY1 you can see the messages and after a while just force a shutdown by pulling the plug.

I just reboot on 3.16 but that kills off virtualbox. Even if I reboot into 5.14 it wont show anymore although it clearly is running. :thinking:

That's not what I mean by longrunning non-resumable processes.
I mean processes I start.

OK, I can get VirtualBox to run on both kernels now after re-installing the testing 6.1.34 from Oracle.
I did have to wait a while a while for dkms to get it's act together.
It shows on 'top' as 'cc1' command.
Guess I'll stay on 5.16 now. :innocent: