erase all disk?
YES
(erasing)

Dialog: ext4 or btrfs |
ext4 > OK

Dialog: Encrytion?
NO

*(now you can see how clever Elive is):
Dialog: Da ya wanna a swap though ya aint need it :wink: if ya say yes 8349 MB will be taken...
AND NOW IT COMES:
"Do not select this option if you want to have a smoother and fast experience"
ohhhkay....
since I don't like the stupid MS feature called "Hypernation" anyway, so
NO (am curious ... without swap?)....

Dialog: Progress: Elive will be installed

Dialog: Question: asking for supporting Elive
(window closed)

Dialog: Explaining why donations needed...
OK

Dialog: Question: ... asking for any amount
THE TRANSLATION TO GER NEEDS AN OVERHAUL :frowning: *
(window closed)

Dialog: Selection to make... Bluetooth ect
selected all and
OK

Dialog: Selection to make... Firmware - PCMCIA ect
selected none and
OK

Dialog: Selection to make... applications ect
Everything except Blender and Games selected * lets see if I will find a damned game later
OK

Dialog: Selection to make... browsers
Chromium Firefox and Opera selected
OK

Dialog: Selection to make... remove - several choices
default selection confirmed
OK

Dialog: Username
done > OK

Dialog: features SUDO ect
default selection confirmed
OK

Dialog: There is a list of packages....
OK

Dialog - progress + Terminal becomes active (? bug ? progress bar is jumping back and fore, looks a bit strange)
*(the "OK" button is obsolete, nothing to confirm possible)

Dialog: create new user (password is still visible, for me it's ok, but others...)

• auto logon disabled
    OK

Dialog: choose computername
OK

Dialog - progress + Terminal becomes active: configure system, be patient pls
*(the "OK" button is obsolete, nothing to confirm possible)

Dialog: Information: Congratulations .....
OK

logout / autologin -
*restart / shutdown button is missing
Solution:
§ sudo -i
$ init 0
or -
switch off the rookie way.

And now you are curious if it can boot, ya? :eyepopping:
Or Rebel was too blond again .... YA? :nanana:
The answer is:

:nod: :nod: :nod: = :dance:

next next next ?
Tonight reporting about system installed, ok ?!

1 Like

You just suckered yourself into " etrans". :mwahaha:

Or the Elive-alpha way: "apug" followed by "elive-skel uograde .e16" and restart e16. :applause:

1 Like

Sure will do, but information is neccessary, no ?

:wink: thx!
(but I was talking 'bout the installer, btw)

so you have no way to boot this install after you tried to install it again ? :thinking:

This is a "feature", in fact :slight_smile:

more exactly: if the root password has been previously inserted (like for encryption), this field automatically fills with the same password, if you see "yourpass" its ok, but if you see "*******" you may think "wtf is that?", and then you change it to another (or same) thing, this could lead to users having 2 different passwords on the system, and I have noticed that novice users are very confused having a "root" and "user" different passwords, they reports "my password not works"

@jfbourdeau ^ explanation of why the password is shown

fixed on 3.7.1 too

yes, send me an username and password to use and i will enable you an eltrans account :slight_smile:

I just created a new thread for those which starts using the new built: 3.7.1 betatesting experiences

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: 3.7.1 betatesting experiences

@triantares in one of your installs:

grub-install: warning: this GPT partition label contains no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be possible.
grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..

actually GPT type of partitions are not much tested, it needs to be better integrated in the installer (and should be default for auto partitioning too)

looking at this message, question is, did you added a boot partition ? :thinking:

no, was even playing around with the fstab file for a while, but then I installed new again,
this dam machine don't want to ...

Yes, that was still there from previous installs and the Windows.

@triantares i don't know much about gpt -yet- (will need to read on that for the installer), but looks like a gpt structure needs a "bios partition" ? i dont know what is that... maybe a special partition for that gpt disks can boot? :thinking:

yes, looks like, i need to read these things: DiskSpace - Community Help Wiki

seems like is needed when is not installing using EFI, so instead of this "bios partition", the correct should to be install (creating an) efi partition, which is not yet included in the installer :slight_smile: (need to work on that)

note: but since you partitioned it yourself @triantares (if im not wrong), i assume that this partition should be created from you, so that grub will install correctly (see the previous link)

A post was merged into an existing topic: 3.7.1 betatesting experiences

Ehm that particular note-book (yoga ideapad) has seen a lot of linux installs but as I added a second SSD I never had the need to remove the windows there. The gpt partitions have always been there and I never touched them. .. as Ubuntu used (and needed) them too.
But if I recall correctly there's a thing about having a small empty partition ( a few Mb) at the beginning of the disk. I suspect it's that.
Alas I don't have access to that particular laptop ATM, I'm on my other ship now. I installed that laptop on sunday evening and used triade@zeelandnet.nl as mail address during the install, so maybe you recieved that.

I'll share " parted" output tomorrow.

yep, that link explains the correct extra partition you need, so the "bios partition" for mbr (actual elive installer behaviour) or the efi partition (more correct but not yet included in the installer) - well, this "installer" comments are not correct since you partitioned it yourself (so you should add this yourself the next time then)

Ehm, wasn't me ...... my laptops all booted after 3.7.0 install. :happy:
But it' s quite messy at the beginning of my disk with 3 or 4 small partitions......Out of my head: about 7 Mb free space. a small ESP fat partition and some Windows boot stuff IIRC.
I only kicked the big windows partitions as I wasn't sure wether Ubuntu needed those small ones to boot. That laptop runs my navigation stuff as well as AIS programs .... on ubuntu.

yes, because grub "hack's it", as the warning shows you, it installs grub in the mbr but in a not-so reliable way as an attempt to make it working (the blockslists message stuff)

Still no luck with the slow HP laptop...tried several different things - even left it overnight! never completes install. Also tried with 3.7.1. Will try next version though it might be hopeless - its just odd that Bunsenlabs 9.8 ran on it......my Dell with 3.7.1 will have to wait untill the weekend - its my productivity machine - can't mess with that too much during the week!

it is strange, but sounds like your RAM is full, I can connect remotely to that computer and run an install myself from here if you want, while watching what is happening on the machine, for that: connect to the chat and I will tell you how

As promised =, the parted output of my sda in my yoga ideapad. For good measure the added the sdb output as well.

The 2 btrfs partitions were made on the space created by removing old windows partition the machine came with. Now populated with Elive 3.7.0

This is how "cfdisk" shows the same /dev/sda

good, you have an EFI partition with a windows OS on the disk too, the installer will probably have taken over the EFI overwriting the boot with the MBR (allowing you to boot from windows too)

I have a virtual machine with a win10 which almost blocks my computer when i run it (lol), to test if is possible to install grub using the EFI thingy

I'm just surprised about the esp flag on the btrfs partition. The installer did that or at least grub-install, which I used on both disks.