3.7.0 betatesting experiences

Thanks :slight_smile: and its not the best one! Elive has many different tools, some of them are beautifully readable and some not so much (because they are much older, up to 14 years old first elive versions lol), one of the most you can enjoy looking at is /usr/share/elive-tools/functions (and, to USE these functions for your own scripts :wink: :wink: )

Basically (if im not wrong), the connection is made entirely -from- the user's side, no matter which connection has/uses, but he connects to the server correctly (outside connection), and after this connection has been made (secured ssh), the tunnel connects over it

Aye, so an intermediate it is. The USER needs to connect otherwise no glory.
My "problem" was having the maintainer transparently connect without him having to keep changing the IP. Letting him connect with browser using proxy and SOCKS was easiest.:popcorn:
Especially because the S7 uses DHCP to connect and runs WinCE as interface, So I use a RaspberryPi to access that from inside the LAN on the ship.:flushed:

He uses Windows on his laptop so basically it's "Linux in between" making them usefull.:rofl:

I definitely will and I certainly will alter/copy elivremote if it suits my needs better i.e more stable and less user intervention.

yes, but its automated, user runs "eliveremote", and some instructions are said but he don't need to do anything (you can try it yourself to see what says)

you can run it to see how it works, and if you want a simulated remote connection (so, me connecting remotely) connect to the chat and I will be aware / waiting for connect and show you how it works :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will do at a later date ...... after Beta or stable 64 releases. First things first, heh.
Thanks for the offer. :slightly_smiling_face:

Don't want to waste your time. This morning before work I decided to look at the memory usage during install on that slow laptop: gnome system monitor lists a max of 920 MB RAM available. It also showed no swap partition usuage during install. This time, I used gparted to engage the swap partition during install, and this seems to have worked (it was running post install configuration when I left for work) - I'll confirm tonight. If memory serves, as I tracked RAM versus swap usage during install it seemed to peak at about 970 MB total. Is there some way a swap partition could be used during install for low RAM PCs?

In any Case
this has to be the "installers Job" :smirk:

Thanks for report :sunglasses:

PS:
Did you check your RAM (hardware test)??

I ran the memtest+86 utility and no issues reported, if thats what you mean...

1 Like

Thanks for these details, in effect, when low ram is detected, a temporal swapfile is added into the install target in order to not have these issues, I have revised this code and I will do tests myself with low ram to see how it behaves :slight_smile:

1 Like

@triantares I have tested and improved a "migration mode" from a Manjaro system to Elive, all seems good, which was the OS you tried to migrate to Elive which failed for you?

in case it was me, I use manjaro too and simply tried to " dualBoot it with Elive" but not migrate it.
Anyway, good job

That was Ubuntu 16.04.

seems like this version is not downloadable anymore

i will use an already download of "linuxmint-18.3-xfce-64bit.iso" for this test :slight_smile:

Good choice....
(then you can also observe its installer) :blush:

Ok so... my e16 collapse pretty much everytime :confused: except for the widget on the right which disappeared immediately, everytime i start an e16 session after a few seconds it freezes out (i can move mouse only, which after a few seconds turns into an X). When i start a new session on a different tty everything works just fine. Moreover... I STILL cannot get rid of the starting sound and mouse configurators when opening any gui session (both e16 and e17)!
:confused: @Thanatermesis @triantares @yoda
Moreover:
there is a huge imput lag when i am turning up or down the volume, is it normal? like i press - and the volume gets lower after about 3 to 5 seconds! Via software it does not happen of course.

Btw @Thanatermesis:
looking for "elive forum" on google i found this old chat in a italian forum talking about elive back in 2007... it was considered a really cool os

I am not experiencing any of those sorry on 3 computers
As for the sound, default that I don't like

right Click Desktop
Settings
Sound

Turn it off...

For me e16 is reallly very pleasant to use...

1 Like

solution:

sudo chown "$USER:$USER" .config/elive

but... are you using 3.7.3? all that you mention is solved on 3.7.3

about your e16 frozen that sounds strange, can you reproduce that on Live mode?

the used tool is "setvolume", and yes, sometimes it looks like a bit slow... i should try to improve it

1 Like

I am downloading the 3.7.3.... i saw the new topic later...

ooh ok, this thread is the 3.0.7 one :slight_smile: heh