3.7.0 betatesting experiences

Ehm, wasn't me ...... my laptops all booted after 3.7.0 install. :happy:
But it' s quite messy at the beginning of my disk with 3 or 4 small partitions......Out of my head: about 7 Mb free space. a small ESP fat partition and some Windows boot stuff IIRC.
I only kicked the big windows partitions as I wasn't sure wether Ubuntu needed those small ones to boot. That laptop runs my navigation stuff as well as AIS programs .... on ubuntu.

yes, because grub "hack's it", as the warning shows you, it installs grub in the mbr but in a not-so reliable way as an attempt to make it working (the blockslists message stuff)

Still no luck with the slow HP laptop...tried several different things - even left it overnight! never completes install. Also tried with 3.7.1. Will try next version though it might be hopeless - its just odd that Bunsenlabs 9.8 ran on it......my Dell with 3.7.1 will have to wait untill the weekend - its my productivity machine - can't mess with that too much during the week!

it is strange, but sounds like your RAM is full, I can connect remotely to that computer and run an install myself from here if you want, while watching what is happening on the machine, for that: connect to the chat and I will tell you how

As promised =, the parted output of my sda in my yoga ideapad. For good measure the added the sdb output as well.

The 2 btrfs partitions were made on the space created by removing old windows partition the machine came with. Now populated with Elive 3.7.0

This is how "cfdisk" shows the same /dev/sda

good, you have an EFI partition with a windows OS on the disk too, the installer will probably have taken over the EFI overwriting the boot with the MBR (allowing you to boot from windows too)

I have a virtual machine with a win10 which almost blocks my computer when i run it (lol), to test if is possible to install grub using the EFI thingy

I'm just surprised about the esp flag on the btrfs partition. The installer did that or at least grub-install, which I used on both disks.

yes, i noticed too that grub manages these things itself pretty well (may need an improvement), the installer not (yet) but i need to do more tests...

I can do an install remotely in your computer if you want, so i can understand better the problem is happening with your computer, write me a private message in order to do that

Thana could you explain what this remote access actually is?
ssh and reverse tunneling, or what?

exactly :slight_smile:

in order to avoid messing up hours explaining how to open ports in the router, the user runs the command "eliveremote" after to install the package "eliveremote" (you can read the code to understand how it works / makes it), creates a ssh dummy/stall connection to the elive server, on which i can connect and then connect to the user's machine

the tool guides the user with a few steps and allows also to "watch" what im doing (tmux session shared), then, finally the connection is closed from the server when its finished and the user is disconnected

@Rebel450 im working in big rewrites on the installer (gpt + efi + bios implementations), now going to restructure the automated partitioning code. I remember that you had problems with installing using EXT4 with a separated /home setup (created automatically from the installer), is this bug fixed or stills here? :thinking:

Looking forward trying this installer

Just installed a Win 7 on a Dell Latop AND can't boot it without forcing myself to go on the right partition at boot time LOL

I split the SSD drive "half and half" and hope your next installer will allow me to :

• boot my windows from Grub
  • boot Elive from the same grub menu I suppose I will tell ELive to put GRUB on the 1st partition ( the windows one) ELive will be on the 2nd partition.

3.7.0 didn't recognize my 2nd partition when going manually instead of automatic.

I am usually good with this but I can't figure out why Win and that machine BIOS are giving me a hard time (and still no linux on it LOL just Win ) .

I tried Legacy on / off
UEFI on / off

And for now I am booting manually...

we'll see if the next Elive's installer is doing some magic

Yoda

use easyBCD as boot manager, configuring it from windows. It's pretty much valuable.
It happened a lot of times to me too with different distros and in the end it's the easiest way to go!

BTW:

235... i may have missed something

1 Like

So how did you solve the problem if the router/connection is over a cellphone and the outgoing IP is not the same as the incoming IP?

I personally solved that (remote access to the Triade apparatus through GSM) by hopping over my server at home with a dynamic names erver (no-ip). Quite interested in how you solved that. :innocent:

tks a lot @stoppy98 !!

as for " 235... i may have missed something " LOL yep
:runningfast:

1 Like

yes :slight_smile: , already doing those tests here while developing it

as a suggestion, i recommend to switch entirely to uefi in the bios (no legacy modes, at all), this will be the preference since the next 3.7.2 build

there have been some activity lol

:runningfast:

ah! but this is not needed, no need to know the ip of the user or to open any port at all :boogie:

I hope (for the usability of the forum and our usage on it) that the "@mentions" are not missed :thinking: (direct link in our notifications when @ ? :thinking:)

1 Like

it should
@Thanatermesis test 123

1 Like

test missed (i was in the thread), but also: since i read all the comments i cannot test "if i see X between all the missed activity" :thinking:

1 Like

Just scanned through your code there but not deep enough to see how you did that. I like the clean (and commented) way you set it up. Nice. :applause:
I'm not in the clear how to overcome, the packet switching a cellphone connection does, without having an intermediate (practically a man in the middle :poop: ) proxy.

Actually just realizing this is getting off topic, sorry. :offtopic:

1 Like