3.7.1 betatesting experiences

OK I've got it
apug and "elive-skel upgrade .e16" (or just read the updated file from /etc/skel/.e16/bindings.cfg),

@Thanatermesis I am getting pretty good with e16, keybinding features etc
but I lost the resizing window with middle button feature and I think it's not trough e16 keyboard binding we do that..
IF you know, let me know how
Else, I'll have to reinstall my station anyway when 3.7.2 becomes available, so the resizing feature will come back..

1 Like

when using the ELive multiScreen tool I get this

~ ❯❯❯ elive-multiscreens

(zenity:5320): GLib-WARNING **: 08:40:03.880: ../../../glib/giounix.c:410Error while getting flags for FD: Bad file descriptor (9)
I: running: xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --output DP-1 --primary --mode 2560x1440 --pos 1920x0 --rotate normal --output HDMI-1 --off
~ ❯❯❯

IN case it could be usefull for you

My recommendation is having a disclaimer or note somewhere that That using Elive with 2 screen may not work perfectly for some.

For me, it's always weird / random .
Could we simply use some WIndows Manager / display manager already available for Debian ? Now that we are on 64 bits & Buster, I am sure there should be one ?

Also, I don't think e16 or E17 were meant to work properly with 2 scree... From my test at least.

OK I got it back

TEST JF

MouseDown CA 2 wop * sz ptr
MouseDown 4 2 wop * sz ptr

so cool
I know have my resize with right mouse button
MouseDown CA 3 wop * sz ptr

Just have to save your config in bindings.cfg then CTRL + ALT + END
OR
FYI The Restart in the menu on the desktop (Right Click Desktop), is not reboot but a restart of E16...

nice! interesting..
what makes you like it more, btw?

related: E16 Elive derivative system

you are optimistic :slight_smile:

good point, will try that :slight_smile:

you should try to install a "virtual keyboard" package and open it with "alt + esc", or assign some hotkey fast combo, otherwise this is not possible, only for e22 probably

thats true, by other side stills "beautiful" desktop, maybe is good to keep it available just to see it? or better to remove it? :thinking:

BTW there's always a message showing up if you run e17 when installed, saying that is buggy

You mean the darkone theme? is not showing up on the list of themes if you try others? :thinking:

ctrl + alt + middle-mouse-click-while-dragging

I assume you have middle-click mouse?

don't worry about these messages, not important

what is not working?
well, e16 seems like to not manage so well xinerama (multiscreens)

done, added :slight_smile:

of course, you can even install gnome if you preffer it

api task-gnome-desktop

e17 should work without problems

already done that. Easy enough: api onboard.
It needs to be in lightdm-greeter as an option, otherwise one cannot login on tablet i.e without keyboard
.Just offer it in the accessibility, drop down menu.

looks good :slight_smile:
is there a way to detect your touch hardware? (lspci / lsusb / lshw / dmidecode / hwinfo )

does lightdm supports onboard by default?

I didn't bring any laptops along, only my phone. Doesn't something like that show up in the bug report during install?

Anyway I can confirm touch always works in the greeter...
so that is not the issue.
what is needed is simple a button to start ''onboard''. Prolly is in /usr/bin/ but will need to be added during install. I would help but don't know how you setup crosscompiler, etc.

Updates related to next 3.7.2 build (among others):

• .config/elive issue seems fixed now
  • installer MANY improvements / fixes:
    • reiser4 support
    • extra partition didnt asked correctly for filesystem and failed :woman_facepalming:
    • full EFI support
    • "bios" partition support (for gpt disks + legacy boot mode)
    • migration mode should work now (tested with manjaro)
    • windows IOS included & compatible (shared / boot thingy)
    • suggestion to reboot in EFI mode shows up if the hardware / setup is detected that should use it
    • manjaro is also included as boot system (but it doesn't boots, i assume its not an elive issue but about the boot parameters required for it)
    • mbr / legacy install working and tested
    • efi install working and tested
    • mbr + gpt install working and tested
    • efi + gpt install working and tested
    • efi existing partition autodetected and used, and the option to create a specific one for your disk if more than 1 disks are detected
    • mbr / gpt / legacy / efi: all these requires a different disk management / configurations, all these combinations are tested from my side so should work correctly in any combination that you use
    • (much other small things fixed / improved)
    • autopartition in legacy mode
    • autopartition in EFI mode - WIP
    • autopartition in "big disk" mode (auto extra /home partition)
    • low ram analysis of resources + temporal swap files + improvements / tests - WIP (mentions: @zbd)
    • migration mode tests with encrypted disk (mint) - WIP
    • autologin = "no" is ignored in autopart - WIP
    • hibernation settings improvements - WIP

mentions: @yoda @triantares @Rebel450

2 Likes

mmh, i dont think so :thinking:

my idea is to: if "a touchscreen is detected on computer", run the command:

onboard -T Droid -e -D 4

in every "destkop started" :slight_smile:

I prefer the " look " of the menus, more sober / less flashy...A s simple as that.
Alt + Esc too, what we have to do to access, lauch apps, access settings and so on, I find it more serious / more easy on e16... Just a personal feeling toward the GUI.

DO you mean install Gnome to replace E16 ?? LOL
Or to use Gnome " screen manager " but keep e16( that I love) ?

yeah, me too :slight_smile: , have you already tried to play with e22? it has a similar look

really? mmh i see sometimes it not finding my desired app (so i need to open a terminal to run it), the one in e17 is more smart / powerful (better search algorithm too)

hum, i remember in the past (more than 10 years ago), e16 can be used with gnome, to be the window manager e16 over gnome (instead of metacity + gnome). Actually i don't know / remember much about how it can be used in a similar way :thinking:

1 Like

As everything is question of perception
" all my keybinding are all working well"
I messed up the config file and that is why I had problem

So you can edit the bindings.cfg file AND SAVE.
And CTRL + ALT + END the change is immediate
Yoda

That does not guarantee the inclusion of wacom or other stylus based interfaces. Prolly need to check more interfaces there, some of which might even need extra configuration, like in current E22 where it is off on first login but sets itself right when restarting E.
On Elive3.0 I autostart Florence after login but that will not release the mouse, touchpad pointer .... only the wacom stylus is allowed to move away. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just simply adding it to the menu might just be a surer way of avoiding unforeseen problems.

@Thanatermesis
It is " so usefull" for me that in the terminal we can type few letters of a previous command and UP arrow to retrieve it !

Previously with other terminal /distro I had to :
sudo !!
or
CTRL + R type letter and try to find my previous commands or line of command

but with Elive, I type any letter or part of command I remember, that could be in the middle of the command line, UP arrow and I can retried very fast previous commands from the history easily... I save a lot of time with that tweak

Yoda

I have the same experience there but also get the feeling it might be hiding somewhere in the menu. :madness:
Or try ALT + ESC and start typing thunar ..... no filemanager for me, only its configurator. :thinking:

@Rebel450 I don't remember what was exactly your issue in the specific install "auto parted + ext4 + no-encryption (= autoadded /home)", but since I did too many changes in the installer and tested (while fixing) all the combinations, it actually works good on my side

Can you try a same install mode as that one you had this problem with (no need to be your final install setup, just an install for test)? just to confirm that the issue is fixed and doesn't happens anymore with your setup :slight_smile:

Which installer/alpha do you want me to use
I guess 3.7.1 ...

( the issue was with 3.7.0)