3.7.1 betatesting experiences

@zbd question about your low-memory computer install bad experience:

did you used a clean install or an upgrade/migration mode install? seems like clean install doesn't has problems with low memory but the second option requires more due to the updating-files-calculations, it blocks my vbox setting it to 500 MB of ram

No. The low memory laptop (HP DV9000, 1 GB RAM, AMD Turion) was a clean install (using the entire dsk). So thats not it. Like I said, as I watched the memory usage, I saw it peak at about 970 MB during the install. Mind you, the thing is at least 11 years old., runs hot, fans blazing...I'm happy it installed at all - awaiitng 3.7.2 to report on that.

On my Dell XPS 13 (8 GB RAM, i7) it was a migration.Typing this on 3.7.1 now, using Firefox...

good, in any case i dont think it should give you problems with 3.7.2 if is not a migration mode (i added a warning for these cases), so let's see if you can install it correctly with the next build :slight_smile:

I have also improved how the temporal swapfiles are managed, and indeed, there was a problem with them that blocked the system @zbd, so definitvely this should be fixed in the next build :slight_smile:

lol so many improments that should be included in the stable release, but im too scared to make a new build (new changes = new bugs lol), but specially because these tests has been made in buster and the compatibility with the stable release is not so tested (remember 3.0.4? i needed to fastly upload 3.0.5 and then 3.0.6)

Migration modes in the installer are much improved too, now im finishing to do tests & fixes with migrating a Mint system with the encryption setup, everything works as expected, you should not have any more difficulties with this "beta" feature @triantares :slight_smile:

Many tests has been done among an install of win10 on virtualbox, all of them booted correctly, so it should be well supported now, even the "clock time" which has been an issue with sharing windows/linux system for centuries! @yoda

1 Like

going to build 3.7.2... :partying_face: :omgomgomg:

note: tell me if you see any remaining "stuff" on the installer, I expect it to have everything correctly working and with much internal improvements!

as a last note for it, when it starts it shows a sooner "working" window instead of giving a :confusing: feeling, but i didn't added it for when it closes, for me it closes fast (related to the issue of "installer already running" when updating it or re-running it)

1 Like

65 posts were merged into an existing topic: 3.7.2 betatesting experiences

tks @Thanatermesis
I am getting used to the commands...

api = to install
apr = to remove
apir = to reinstall

alias | grep apt
Result :
apfs='apt-file search'
api='sudo apt-get install'
apif='sudo apt-get -f install'
appo='apt-cache policy'
apr='sudo apt-get remove'
apse='apt-cache search'
apsh='apt-cache show'
apsrc='apt-get source'
apu='sudo apt-get update'
apug='if sudo apt-get update ; then sudo apt-get -o "Dpkg::Options::=--force-confdef" -o "Dpkg::Options::=--force-confnew" dist-upgrade ; fi'
apui='sudo apt-get update ; sync ; sudo apt-get install'

I AVOID to get used to it
because
I am using aptitude on other Linux than Elive, too.
These aliases are somehow sweet but not a standard at all.
Also @Thanatermesis should use the standards
of the apt commands in common communications,
and not the (for sure useful) shorten aliases founded by anyone.

I understand but do not agree
People used to linux know the official commands up to them to get use to ELive's commands or not.

We don't have to agree I think

novice Elive users may think -
"oh, aside from having a lot of things different, they are also using an own apt language herein ...."

Mhmmmm..... :sniff:

I 200% understand your logic and it make sense.

But the facts are that in the last 2 years I have been using Elive and used the old and new forum, I never saw any comments or complaints about that.

But I do understand your point though and it was a logical comment...

... mhm, ya

may be we should do a HowTo or link about zsh (Terminology) or so

1 Like

These are only "aliases" which means they point to the commonly used commands. Those commands are still available so shouldn't inhibit anyone.

If, for some reason you don't like them or want to use them, simply remove those aliases from .bashrc in your home directory.

1 Like

I don't understand your reply,
I said the same in sense,
read again :hooray: