3.7.10 alpha release

But that is already happening. :sniff:

It's the BIOS/GPT thingy in upgrading an existing multiple OS system that's the cause of all the "issues" ......... take it out, as well as the subsequent possible boot problem messages.

stills very complex, the partitions are formated in the moment that the user confirms that is going to be formated, then (this step we are talking about) starts the installation by mounting before these partitions into the target system... but in short i think that is enough just saying "partition X is going to be installed, continue?" the user should already know WHICH partition has selected in the previous steps (they happened less than 5 minutes ago, and he only picked 1-2, viewing clearly what has been selected), but also: they have been already formated on the previous step, so the only thing leaving is "sdaX is going to be your elive system"

so like i said, i can simply include a final question saying "partition SDAX is going to be installed for elive, continue?" (even if i think that is useless, user already selected what before, reading carefully, there's no issue at all on this step)

remember that the issue that -we- are talking about is because the upgrade-mode was canceled by some reason when it started (and there's not reason to have been done that), but this is fixed now by having the cancel button removed

Yeah, and after that you get this question about a BIOS/GPT partition ....... too late, no room left On the disk! :omgomgomg:

Get rid of it .... it serves no purpose.

so much worse :slight_smile:

nope... that partition is just optional, but user-experience got confused about "what's next" and canceled (they breaked the system by doing that), so this issue is entirely solved now with the new behaviour because:

• there's no cancel button anymore
  • when asking for bios, user has at least 2 or 3 steps where can select different behaviours, these are:
    • "hey, it is suggested to add a bios partition, do you want to do it?" (optional, installer will continue and will work correctly no matter which option)
    • if selects to add one: it asks "select a partition to use for BIOS" (3 options: user can do this, ignore the partition, or even abort the installation)
    • if selects a partition: it asks about formating it (stills user choice even if selected which partition to use before, its a last confirmation before to format / erase data)
    • doesn't matter what the user chooses, the installer will still work correctly and the upgrade mode will work fine, happening on the partition he selected to upgrade/migrate in the first step (unless the user later abort in the middle of the changes, but this has been disabled now)

"Optional" is not a "Laisse passer" for experiments or dumb stuff.
And I agree. Considering the linear character of the installer: Cut down on pop-ups as much as possible.

OK, so you check all the logs you have and see if it has at any time served a purpose.
I have some serious doubts there.
The only thing it does is tell users that "Hey, now Elive even supports BIOS/GPT", something most users coming from other distros already take for granted and don't want to be bothered about.

As I said earlier: In most cases there will not be any room to create a new partition in the beginning of the disk and anyway: It booted fine before.

This is a matter of "Fix it till it breaks" opposed to "Leave well enough alone".

yes I saw them, in both cases the issue happened because the "cancel" button has been pressed on a wrong moment, this button doesn't exist anymore and should have continued this way (which, your options was correct)

About the message you have doubt, it should have been this one:

Your selected setup uses GPT and LEGACY BOOT. It is suggested to add an extra partition to act as the BIOS MBR. It should not be inside an encrypted layer. It should have a size of 8MB. Do you want to add one?

if you select yes, it will ask for that partition, if you select no, it will continue without it

note: this is the message I see that should have shown to you, maybe im wrong! but i assume is this one looking at the steps / process

for a gpt disk is required a bios partition, but grub still can try to install in the first bytes header of the disk (which has been the old way for years), which works 80-90% of the times but is not the correct way to do it, just like it worked for you before

hum, this should have been the case in the past but not in the updated installer (since some time already), if you see again the message tell me which one is exactly (or just specific keywords, a piece / few words of the exact message)

exactly, and looking at the code and how to improve it, (with the included few improvements) its just the correct way, where:

• installer suggests to add a BIOS partition, and will continue asking you that in every upgrade until you add one, so its a good thing if the user creates a 1MB partition for it or resize their partitions, but:
  • user can just press "no" when asking for it, because you don't have it or because you don't care

so it will be wrong in some way to stop asking for that, since its the correct way to do it :slight_smile:, and stills an optional steps which makes it OK

Like I said "Fix it till it breaks". :face_with_head_bandage:

We are talking apples and pears here.
This is about an upgrade from an existing (maybe multiple) OS system.

SO: If a BIOS partition is already there then use it, without asking!

If not (and prolly the disk doesn't have any room anyway) forget it ..... this is an "upgrade/migration" after all. So take all the "mistakes" of the prior installation along. It's what was opted for when chosing "upgrade existing OS".

IMO Buggering around with partitions and changing them is not upgrading/migrating ..... it's a new install, retaining some $USER stuff if possible.

On another level:

The message has to be clear that it is NOT referring to a boot partition (for which a few Mb wouldn't be enough) but to a minimal BIOS/GPT partition at he beginning of the disk solely containing partition data.

the installer does just exactly that, since the very early alpha versions :slight_smile:

The message says:

Your selected setup uses GPT and LEGACY BOOT. It is suggested to add an extra partition to act as the BIOS MBR. It should not be inside an encrypted layer. It should have a size of 8MB. Do you want to add one?

so it contains all the info needed for the user :slight_smile:

no, i don't agree with that, because:

not having a BIOS partition is simply wrong (we need to keep this part in mind), it doesn't matter how X distro installed the previous system on a wrong way, it was simply wrong to not use a BIOS partition... but here, the very-well-featured-amazing-and-unique-elive-installer gives you the opportunity to fix your system's issue, while not forcing you to cancel installation and without forcing you to add the partition strictly

Do we are looking for a single option? then i should be forced to strictly require the user to add the BIOS partition, doesn't matter if was not before, it is simply needed, it is the correct way to do it, so if we look to a unique option, then it should be strictly requested

But no, I don't think that to force this requirement is the best way to do it, because:

• the user may not have possible to add this partition (partitioning full, scared to resize existing partitions, or no space to do it)
  • could lead to an % amount of users not installing elive
  • its more painful experience

(I assume you totally agree with this annoyance)

But on such case, by allowing the user to continue having it in the wrong way, it is then needed to:

• tell the user the truth (this is wrong structure, you should add a bios partition, it may lead to not booting system)
  • (optionally): to give the option to fix his issue on this moment, which is a non-hurting, very welcome and nice feature added, which, still don't force the user to add it

I don't see anything wrong in the actual method used :woman_shrugging: it's the most featured, the most flexible, and the most compatible way, that will work correctly in every different case

finally, i just want to remember again that your two installs (upgrades) where broken not related at all to this BIOS partition topic, but because the process "was canceled by user" in the half-installing step

This was induced by unclarity in the BIOS/GPT step and at the time: No way to opt out of the install, it had already started.
The only way to change the partition scheme (if the disk is full) at that stage was to restart the installation....which couldn't be done any other way than by hitting the next cancel.

In all existing installs there either already is such a partition and it gets used....or there isn't and .... as you state: Partitions will have to be modified/moved ... for which the installer does not give the opportunity, in case of upgrade/migrate it just continues.

EDIT

Starting a testing session on the same (reinstated, long live clonezilla) Vbox today at 09.50 local (Nl) time.

Starting a new install on a Vbox drive cotaining a copy of my Helix2 machine.

On starting the installer the first pop-up shows up but gets overshaded by a second ....... maybe I should read faster. :slight_smile:

!(file:///home/antares/Pictures/Screenshots/Elive_Screenshot_2019-09-22_09:56:04__808x668.png)

And left the first pop-up as is and went on by chosing the option in the image and OK

Which brings the choice of which previous install to upgrade:

!(file:///home/antares/Pictures/Screenshots/Elive_Screenshot_2019-09-22_09:58:40__808x668.png)

Strangely the entries are similar to those of a normal install.

So chose 3.7.10 and go on. OK to both pop-ups

And nothing happens!

!(file:///home/antares/Pictures/Screenshots/Elive_Screenshot_2019-09-22_10:00:49__808x668.png)

So after a while I run the installer again:

But it isn't running as the terminal already showed.

So I ran the installer again later with the same result.

Vokoscreen session available, if needed.

Nothing other left than to reboot.

This time I click away the first pop-up immediately ... i.e Don't read it. :wink:

Which gives a different choice window than before.

!(file:///home/antares/Pictures/Screenshots/Images Resized/Vbox-install.png)

Screen shot from Vokoscreen session.

After the obvious choices I get the Bios partition and chose Yes

Which allows me to chose a 1mb unformatted partition at the beginning of the disk.

After which I am offered to format that partition yes/no which will mean in all cases the installer will continue and write to the 1 Mb partition.

This is not good enough as an option!!

The upgrade itself went hitchless for the rest.

1 Like

if im not wrong, this is possible now, like this:

• it asks for add a BIOS partition, you say YES:
    • it asks for a partition to add, and when selecting one, now you have the Abort button
    • remember that any option you select will continue with the process without issues
  • you say NO:
    • installation cotinues without issues

mmh, i just checked but there's no logs from this install (not recent ones in fact), so i can't know much what could have happened... any way to reproduce this issue?

thats very strange if now shows the elive's to upgrade and not before :thinking:, this should only happend if you previosly installed (and booted) successfully a system, but not by simply running again the installer

what you mean? it asked you to format a partition that you (just before) previously selected for that... what you suggest?

well, that's good! :slight_smile: let's see if we have more new issues since now with the installer, I think we got far in different topics about the installer lol and now it should work correctly :thinking:

Yes, this is what the installer does but .......
It does not offer a possibility to add a new partition (you need a partitioner for that) as the question suggests.
You can only "reuse" an existing one and you just have to be lucky that there's one available.

1 Like

Hi!

About sleeping / hibernate modes:

• Sleeping works nicely (veille in french);
  • Hibernate blacks the screen, but fan continue to work indefinitely (or at least tens of minutes);
  • Mix mode (sleeping to hibernate) seems to work, but screen went off, then on, and finally black, fan off, power led blincking...

Ih!

I've had no issues with hibernate or sleep not turning fan off.
What does sometimes happen is that the screen will not wake up...... it requires me to do a Ctrl,Alt + F1 and subsequently, on seeing the login prompt back with Ctrl,Alt + F7 to my desktop.

That's right, and that's an inconvenience, what the user needs to do is:

1. abort install
  2. create / add partition
  3. start again the installer

The installer has no "back button", but I was thinking on add a "run partitioner now" feature when selecting to add a partition, but that's not really possible, partitions needs to be all umounted before to do that and crypto layers should be disabled too, the installer has a very specific procedure with the partitioning steps which happens linearly, by adding this feature could lead to bugs in the installer, so again: the best is to follow the previously said steps

@Franc most of the times, the issues with suspend / hibernate is related to specific hardware type or drivers, we cannot do much, the only thing you can do is to google about your model computer and hibernate issue, to see if there's a way to solve that specific issue, and if can be included in elive as a fix (like adding a package dependency), tell me about it

Hello!

Ok! Will asap!

I think that should be made clear in the pop-up text or maybe added to the "abort" option later.
Something like: "Abort and create a partition for BIOS/GPT manually first." where it might be an idea to offer up a choice of available partitioners when the installer has closed.

To add this option is not so easy, but I have instead added a notification message that will appear in the (first) moment that you are asked for a partition extra to add (notification will appear only once per install run), it looks like this:

the next step will show the partitions list, with the option to abort install

1 Like

Life keeps getting in the way, but finally able to download 3.7.10. Installed via upgrade mode. No issues on my Dell XPS 13 L322X, except for an error reported in elive-upgrader-root - I entered my email so as to submit a report. I've been using these Alphas constantly - the only issue to report is that a recent Buster update seems to have led to the occasional lag in mouse response when alternating from keyboard to mouse input. Don't think its an Elive thing, but wondered if anyone else has seen this.

i think the "report issue with elive-upgrader-root" is simply solved now by having upgraded your system :slight_smile:

No i dont have see this "lag in mouse", may you try directly with a recent version in Live mode to see if is an issue of the system or the drivers, etc