3.7.2 betatesting experiences

BTW I did it and will it for the other one if you tell me to, but why it's red and Why am I doing that command ?

Debian 101...

i dont know why this one is listed too, but maybe remove it too

in fact, i dont suggest you to use this tool, better to use "api", "apse", "apr", you have more control and better management

that was a dummy package created by elive to satisfy dependencies of gnome-settings-daemon not needed in 3.0, otherwise this package could have been installed and making your system bigger "for nothing" that we use

sorry I won't install it all have fun with it, I'll stay with plank

JF
When you have time provide me the list of package I need to install using commands...
Synaptic make it easier and tell me which package should be installed at the same time (dependencies) but you say sometime it'S not good to use synaptic
And just to trying to install a simple DOCK Cairo-Dock, I already ( in red) had to remove 2 packages.. a a brand new system I installed yesterday night LOL

I want to keep my system Clean and stable... WIll let you all play with it until I have a clean safe way to install it

bad package management can lead to a broken status, and synaptic is not the best... thats why i recommend to just use the apt commands, see the result, accept or deny the action, that's all :slight_smile:
api = to install
apr = to remove
apir = to reinstall

alias | grep apt

1 Like

Tks for all the commands and alias | grep... WIll keep it
BUt won't install Cairo-doc for now

well, that's on your preferences :slight_smile: , 3.7.3 asks if you want to enable it in your desktop, so its good to give it as optional

let's go back to the betatesting / reports topic, specially about the installer, which i think that: there's no more things to fix / improve on it? @yoda @triantares @Rebel450

let's also switch for the updates to: 3.7.3 betatesting experiences

1 Like

Am sry, but I have to discourage you:
Nvidia...... :hooray:. as mentioned earlier...
My recommendation is here:
Remove this option from the installer at all,
better is to have this option, like
"Do you want to check for and Install additional drivers tailored for your PC now?" (Yes/No)
once the install process went successful.
Until yet, I had always headaches with the build-in option....
On several machines, btw.

which option?

sorry, i didn't understood what are you referring to :slight_smile:

remove the option,
to install Nvidia drivers at this stage at all, I meant.

(because of nothing else than trouble with it)

mmmh, unless there's a bug in the install autodetection, there's no sense to do that :slight_smile:
let me explain:

• if you boot the Live mode and install the privative drivers, they will be installed in your installed system too
  • if you boot the Live mode and not install the privative drivers, they will be not included in your installed system

and this should work correctly 100% of the times and should be what 100% of users would expect, so... we are talking about a different issue?

Hi!

...And: On the M4400, with nvidia only (no embedded intel), the nvidia privative works ok!

Salutations!

1 Like

there's a bug in the install autodetection.
never succed here on different machines.
Remember: am doing bare metal installs, not VMs

if you boot the Live mode and install the privative drivers, they will be installed in your installed system
no, you have to reboot into private section blah from grub
this is not a deal for newcomers/novice users - for you & me no prob
but ther are also others ..

if you boot the Live mode and not install the privative drivers, they will be not included in your installed system
better- at least you can SEE some on your display and the noveau driver is quite good, you do not need to change it

ok that's another thing :slight_smile:
so tell me more about this bug, what is wrongly detected? "no vidia + installs include nvidia"? or how

mmh, im confused with the relation of "install", are we talking about the installed system? (not installation of nvidia drivers?), i mean, the installed system on HD ?

ok...

let's start again:

• Boot in Live mode, if nvidia is detected, asks you if you want to install the privative drivers, if you say "yes", it will say you need to reboot in the privative-drivers boot-option (yes, this is needed)
  • so you do that
  • asks again: "install drivers?" -> yes -> installed correctly -> enjoy
  • if you install Elive in HD, since you installed the nvidia privative drivers, they will be included (if there's no ta bug in teh installer detecting it)

OR:

• never installed nvidia privative drivers --> installation in HD doesn't include them

during (operating system) install processs -
it detects an Nvidia card
then it says: recommend drivers (?) 390 (I think)
then boot again by users choice from grub; private drivers install, blah
then installs whatever
then after next reboot
boot hangs (as I sent screenshot before)

No, we are talking the install process itselfs, see above

yep, if installed corectly, yes.
in my case it never happens : (installed correctly -> enjoy)

That's why I say
make the life easy - and install later, after installation succeeded, additional driver
through an additional driver setup (with the option to step back, if failed)

you mean, booting in the installed-to-hd system, right? (not in Live mode)

i still dont get the point...

1. the nvidia driver must be installed correctly in live before to install elive
  2. if the driver doesn't installs correctly in live, what is the sense to install it in your HD ? (it doesn't worked, so it wont work)

:confusing:

"Some minor things needs a fix, like disabled apps were installed though,..."

= during installation I chose - no games -
but those got installed though;
same with Scribus, btw.

for example: it should create a GPT partition table,
not MSDOS

About a well working memory management:

I was very surprised about Yoda's memory usage,
and so I wanted to readjust the same (or similar) situation on Mint Cinnamon, as a comparison;
13 open tabs in Chromium, 6 of them youtubes
11 open tabs in Firefox, 8 of them youtubes
Thunderbird with many extensions
Sayonara Music Player (playing music)
Libre Office Writer with a big doc opened
Gimp with many extensions a big doc opened
some utilities
Cairo
This machine has 8GB RAM, swap is on (but on SSD :wink: )
Conclusion: I don’t get any lag at all:
Memory%20in%20use

1 Like

it does it this way now :slight_smile:

but you need to boot in UEFI, otherwise msdos is assigned instead, this is of course in order to keep a compatibility with the computer capabilities, some old computers (the ones that boots in Legacy mode) may not support GPT disks:

Wikipedia: In the late 1990s, developed a new partition table format as part of what eventually became the "Unified Extensible Firmware Interface" (UEFI). As of 2010, the GUID Partition Table forms a subset of the UEFI specification.

So GPT is very related to UEFI for its development, if a computer doesn't support UEFI, it doesn't needs GPT too

Since the installer already suggest you to reboot your computer in UEFI mode instead of Legacy, in order to improve your disks structure, there should be not any problem with that.

which games exactly?
ok let me run a vbox test here to check them..

Thanks, fixed

Btw i will also remove it by default, i found it to be a pretty useless app to have by default, almost nobody should need it

should be fixed now too :slight_smile:

1 Like

is our chromium a bit buggy? i feel it like eating a lot of ram too :thinking:

good one! :slight_smile: so is your chromium lighter in ram usage in Mint? if so, there should be a problem with our version... and what about our version of Firefox compared to Mint? somebody can test it too?