3.7.3 betatesting experiences

Ok, 3.7.3 is a much more ready system, reports please? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

DO you want me to try again and install on the Laptop that :

• was installed Win 7 when PC was not in UEFI Mode so there is no UEFI partition
  • one disk for a little NTFS reserved parition for I don't know what windows need, one partition for WIN 7

I would need to create one 250 MB partition for UEFI and one for ELIVE BOOT ?
I would create one partition (50% of the disk for Elive to install root)

Last night when I tried, Elive installer, I think it'S about the same as 3.7.3 as I apir eliveinstaller-6g, the installer ask where to install elive, where to put UEFI, where to put BOot / root and the result was

Elive boot but no trace of WIndow... NOt in the GRUB Menu

SO if another test on that laptop is usefull to you, I will do it with pleasure

Else I will reinstall WIndow 7 while PC is UEFI Mode and then will try to install ELive on the 2nd partition ( suppose I'll still need to create 3 partition, 1xUEFI, 1 BOOT, 1 ELIVEOS )

What would be usefull to you ?

We will try to make windows running, but you need to boot in Legacy mode (turn OFF all the EFI things in bios), then boot 3.7.3, remove the EFI partition (you wont' need it anymore), partition your disk as you wish (you will need an 8MB partition for the BIOS one), and that's all :slight_smile: , lets see if can boot your windows in non-uefi mode

1 Like

Before I forget, your USB tool to create USB stick doesn't work for me in ELive 64 bit
it open
I choose image and USB
and it quit when I ask it to burn/create the USB stick

@Thanatermesis so the installer will ask for that 8 MB partition ? as it was doing for the Boor or UEFI partition ?

ImageWriter included into Elive work well
I was having difficulty using Etcher " AppImage"...

But IMage Writer did the job perfectly
I would remove ELive Burning tool if not compatible

You did an amazing job with 3.7.3 Cairo Dock LOL
Sound volume / indicator ( someting that was missing
Luminosity
And it is very responsive...

I am continuing the install now

oops it still needed the 250 Boot parition _ 8 MB for Bios
Starting over

I fixed this bug some weeks ago, do you still having it? (alpha versions)

try to run it like:

EL_DEBUG=3 usb-bootable-elive

it will show you useful messages

a BIOS partition is a replacement of MBR, even with 1 mb is enough, better if 8mb, just give it, the installer takes care about configuring it correctly

it is the best option, but if not works good, should be fixed

❯❯❯ EL_DEBUG=3 usb-bootable-elive
D: [ /usr/bin/partitions-list +26 get_all_partitions_list] Partitions get in traditional mode as from /dev/[sh]d[a-z][0-9]: /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2 /dev/sdd1 /dev/sde1 /dev/sde2 /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd /dev/sde
fdisk: cannot open /dev/sda: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/sdb: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/sde: Permission denied
D: [ /usr/bin/partitions-list +668 get_filesystem > get_filesystem_file] unknown FS for /dev/sda
D: [ /usr/bin/partitions-list +668 get_filesystem > get_filesystem_file] unknown FS for /dev/sdb
fdisk: cannot open /dev/sdc: Permission denied
D: [ /usr/bin/partitions-list +668 get_filesystem > get_filesystem_file] unknown FS for /dev/sdc
fdisk: cannot open /dev/sdd: Permission denied
D: [ /usr/bin/partitions-list +668 get_filesystem > get_filesystem_file] unknown FS for /dev/sdd
D: [ /usr/bin/partitions-list +26 get_all_partitions_list] Partitions get in traditional mode as from /dev/[sh]d[a-z][0-9]
: /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2 /dev/sdd1 /dev/sde1 /dev/sde2 /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd /dev/sde
fdisk: cannot open /dev/sde: Permission denied
D: [ /usr/bin/partitions-list +668 get_filesystem > get_filesystem_file] unknown FS for /dev/sda
D: [ /usr/bin/partitions-list +668 get_filesystem > get_filesystem_file] unknown FS for /dev/sdb
fdisk: cannot open /dev/sdc: Permission denied
D: [ /usr/bin/partitions-list +668 get_filesystem > get_filesystem_file] unknown FS for /dev/sdc
fdisk: cannot open /dev/sdd: Permission denied
D: [ /usr/bin/partitions-list +668 get_filesystem > get_filesystem_file] unknown FS for /dev/sdd
D: [ /usr/bin/usb-bootable-elive +734 ] Running command: cat "/home/yoda/Downloads/elive_3.7.3_alpha_hybrid.iso" | pv -n -W -s "3672900k" 2>"/home/yoda/.cache/usb-bootable-elive/progress-file-working" | dd of="/dev/sde" bs=4M
E: [ /usr/bin/usb-bootable-elive +773 ] dd was unable to write
C: [ /usr/bin/usb-bootable-elive > /usr/bin/usb-bootable-elive > /usr/lib/elive-tools/functions +1037 el_error > el_report_to_elive > el_check_version_development_is_days_recent]
D: [ /usr/bin/usb-bootable-elive > /usr/bin/usb-bootable-elive > /usr/lib/elive-tools/functions +812 el_error > el_report_to_elive > el_check_sudo_automated] Automated sudo is required: Your sudo requires a password, we need it to be configured for not request it, func: el_report_to_elive

Your sudo requires a password, we need it to be configured for not request it, func: el_report_to_elive ?

woops, not from user:

sudo su
EL_DEBUG=3 usb-bootable-elive

mmh, maybe -this- is hte problem, the tool was always run from user :thinking:

try it like that, let's see if works

Muahah just upload a goregous image for the first post

Thanks to roxville for the design :slight_smile:

1 Like

oh let's see. did not realize updates where coming out in such speedy way

luckily having a normal bios i never got touched by these kind of problems :smiley:

How do i acutally get the updated iso? i missed that part @yoda

3.7.3 supports both modes :slight_smile:, efi and legacy

same download link

Hi!

So Testing on the M6700: same for nvidia;
When booting live "the straight mode", so without nvidia stuff, it arrives directly on E17: no choice in the dos-like windows during boot...
So in E17, sound keys ok, screen light keys no; installing E22 via api enlightenment, log out / in and keys ok for sound & sreen light...

Using from here GParted, my sshd previously dd-ed with zeros seems accept reiser4 formating! Now I have to shrink & made extra partitions...

@Thanatermesis
:rainbow_flag: :rainbowyay: :runningfast: :happy:

373 installed on my Laptop !
Windows booting

I shrinked the WIn Partition
Added a 8 MB ( Bios) and 250 MB (Boot) parition
_ the partition for ELive

Windows and elive both works and boot from GRUB

I was not ask for the 8 MB BIOS Partition during the install... Only for the 250MB Boot one

Now I will try to do it again, but trying to ENCRYPT my ELIVE OS PArtition as the Manual installation doesn't take care of that like the automated one..

Good job !!!
Cairo Dock works quite well (not perfect but good) and COnky is cool.

1 Like

@Thanatermesis
Legacy as you suggested

As for installing my Elive encrypted, did you tried it in a scenario like mine ?
You were saying to use GNOME Parition tool in the installer ?

no menu to select e16 / e17 / e22? mmh, i need to try that on my nvidia machine :thinking:

1 Like

@Thanatermesis
Now that I can install 373 without any problem on my Win 7 Laptop
Are your saying that if I reinstall and choose the other parition option, I could ENCRYPT my installation ?

Or manually you don't know if the install will allow it ?