3.7.3 betatesting experiences

i dont remember with precision if i tested it recently but if im not wrong, create the partition and set it to encrypted in gnome-disks, the installer will use it correctly (you will have to put the password at boot in the installed system), and the next installs will migrate it correctly using encryption too

Will try
Most serious people with security will want to encrypt their laptop
With a simple installation, only on parition/disk, it's simple, you're arleady handling it well

From what I see, it can't be done if using reiser4 and for btrfs not sure
As the installer ask you why FS do you want to use, I think it will simply "ERASE / Format " the LUKE partition...

I'll know in a minute

Advice : At the end of the installation when it's asking for a password, don't think you should ask it twice

Now that it is " hidden" if they do a TYPO, at reboot, they will have a nice surprise...

OOPS my installation has ended !!! :happy_dance:
Luke partition, ask PW to boot and yes, it is Reiser4 within that LIKE parition I created with GNome Partition TOol !!!!!!!!!!!

:rainbowyay:

1 Like

you can use any filesystem, the encryption is a layer "before" the filesystem :slight_smile:

it could decrease a bit the performance but is pretty needed, specially for laptops, you have all your passwords and stuff on the computer!

:happy: :happy_dance: :happybounce:

not even anything to improve in the installer w00t!

now i look at the installer of 3.0 like a crappy version lol

1 Like

:slight_smile: Tks for your patience and hard work !

@Thanatermesis

Don't forget this one... THink it is important

well, we have different options:

• to make it clearly-readable: this should be not a security problem (who is looking at your screen on that moment? a thief? a stealer? the wife? lol)
    • i dont like much this option, because no-matter-what, the users are so used to have it hidden that they will complain, or flood the forum with the same question over and over
  • to ask it twice when hidden: its an option but:
    • to enter it twice is boring (lol), the worse can happen is to install again, but this could damage a bit the user-experience, hum...

suggestions?

One of the two...
I don't know.... entering 2 times is more secure it's sure

Another Victory :happy: :happy_dance: :happybounce:
:rainbowyay: :runningfast:

Elive 373 installed on a small slow HP Laptop 2 Gig Ram, 32 Gig SSD
Encrypted installation
Reiser4

Everything went fine !!!!

1 Like

ok, reactivated the confirmation field for "password"

1 Like

Just as a note, I tried to remove systemd switching back to sysvinit-core (don't do this, you will break the system), and result is:

• with systemd: 190 MB of RAM used
  • with sysvinit: 150 MB of RAM used

but unfortunately, installing sysvinit at the moment will remove packages / features that we need, so for now its needed to stick at systemd

now you just need to set up a unison configuration to improve your backuping tool :slight_smile:

1 Like

hum... will make time to try it and see if I like it :slight_smile:

LOL will reinstall it without encryption LOL I think this is too much for that PC
I can't play netflix easily / LAG a bit...

I don't think that this will be related to encryption, encryption performance is more related to IO accesses (hard disk usage) :thinking: @yoda try to disable the composite instead, in your E16 settings

hum... will make time to try it and see if I like it :slight_smile:

even if you don't like it, its the best for your data

otherwise, what is the sense to have a non-controlled backup system? when you lost / broke / corrupt a file, it replicates to the backups lol

but you'll probably like it, its full control and power :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

ok will try... That laptop was able to play Netflix and it's my preferred one when I relax in the living room as it's light... The other one, powerful is very fast even with encryption and composite enabled

good, do tests and tell me if something needs to be improved :slight_smile:

video playing is much more related to drivers and rendering, so possible things affected:

• video drivers
  • compositor enabled/disabled
  • desktop type (try with e22 too, not e17)
  • cairo-dock running VS not-running
  • cpu-clock! check if is running at full
1 Like

As a suggestion, if we have enough disk space in our hard disks of these "testing machines", keep a small partition on it to always keep a 3.0 install, it is good to boot sometimes from it to compare things (performance, ram usage, browsers, features included, integrations, video performances...), this partition of (suggested) 15gb will simply stay there without the need to touch it in our future installs / tests / whatever

I'm fixing now some less important misc things and reviewing all the notes, also will try to improve the performances of the slower things (installer, volumes), i feel the forum more calm now and this is GOOD news! :boogie: , also the next build is suggested to upgrade since will fix a few minor things on the users (sudo permissions remaining for example) blablalblal

Hi!

Testing now on eeepc 1001xp: runs well with E22, just sound fn keys again not usable...

I run sudo dmidecode, searching for eeepc: the only occurrence is about the serial number...

When launching LibreOffice Writer (perhaps a bit eavy for this machine...), it takes at least a minute to act anything with the mouse, exept in the lauchbar...
Conky with 2 shells & LibreOffice gives: ram 622Mb/1,94Gb, Ram usage soffice 4.09%, enlightenment 2.17%, nm-connection-e 2.32%, Xorg 0.49% CPU usage: enlightenment betwin 12 & 18%, terpminology 7-9%, Xorg 4-5%...

By the way, on the M6700, at a moment, the icon of terminology in the launch bar disappears but was still functional...

....once again, have to shut off cause out of electrical power... To be continued tomorrow!
Good road to you!

Salutations!