3.7.4 (32bit) betatesting experiences

UPDATE:

• live mode with graphical problems activated still shows the barcode

• live mode with debud and verbose mode activated still shows the barcode

• Live mode with E17 shows the barcode and Open GL is not supported, in E16 Open GL is well supported

• I'll install it now.....

1 Like

mmh, it should, if you have 1gb or less of ram (which considers needed) and the swap partition is not hibernated

i will do a test in vbox too...

will test that too

sounds very like a drivers issue, an update of the driver should fix it... maybe is already reported to debian

3.7.4-32 installed and working very, very well :applause::excited::boogie:

No problem while installing and "barcode" is missed :boogie:

I'll write tomorrow my first impressions, and next days I'll work continuously with both 32 and 64 flavour to perform tests. :typing:

Thanks again for both @Thanatermesis :omgomgomg:

2 Likes

I'll have not so much time now, but 3.7.4-32 runs very, very, very fine, I found some things to solve that I'll explain here tomorrow or Thursday. I will work all this week with it because next Monday I have a meeting at Bruxelles and the small HP is my travelling laptop, so I need to be sure that I can manage all my documents. It will be a nice opportunity to explore at maximum this release.

3 Likes

very good :slight_smile: i wonder why it appeared in live mode but... anyways :slight_smile:
its probably because the system is better "set it up" for being installed (like generated initrds, grub, etc with specific hardware)

Note: I think that was you who reported issues with Encryption (not unlocking) @maxinou, I have found that cryptsetup tool runs out of memory on low ram, i have improved a bit the installer to deal better with these cases

1 Like

Only a few lines to say that this week I'm so busy that I haven't time to write in the forum, even if I read daily. I'm working all week with 3.7.4-32 and any issue to signal. @Thanatermesis the issue with crypt was in 3.7.4-64 but with btrfs, with reiser4 crypt was OK in an 1 Gb RAM laptop.
I'll be absent until Wednesday 27th June, but after this date I'll inform you about my experience.

1 Like

Hello @Thanatermesis

Trying to install ELive 3.7.4 32 bits onto my 3.7.6 64 bits :

• the WiFi thing making it confusing for a new user.
  • I know I can log out and start again, but if the user logout " after he already started the installation process" Elive ask if we're sure we want to stop installation, if we say yes it reboot.

If we wait and don't touch anything, at some point a WiFI tool show up, we can configure it easily, " THEN" if we start the installation, the process is simple / normal

In case you can make this easier...

If the user do not jump on the installation righ after booting in live mode, then he won't have problems.

I was not offered to " upgrade"
even if I followed this :

UPGRADE mode : if you want to upgrade your previous install, first make sure that your system contains the "installed" value on that file, if not, change "dumped" to "installed":

sudo scite /etc/elive/installation-status

i assume you mean the bug that was already fixed in newer version, that happens because you are using 3.7.4 which was not fixed on that moment (so it will be for the next 32bit updated build)

this is of course refereing to the file on your actual installed system, not of the live mode... just making sure that you are editing the correct one :slight_smile:

Note: I moved your original posts to this (already existing) thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello,

I'm now back at home, and I'll tested last weeks in an intensive way 3.7.4-32 installed in my HP, but for several reasons I performed my test with 2 GB RAM and not with 1 GB as usual.

The system is rock-solid, no bugs, no crashes, and with 2 GB RAM everything runs fast and smooth (for this machine), I use it for my daily work without any problem

The only real "problem" is that some windows are still out of limits of desktop and needs to go to desktop beside to see where to click, that will be a problem for a newbie until it won't be solved (it seems @Thanatermesis you worked in this issue in 64 bit release but my 64 bit laptop has 15" screen so there I haven't this issue)

See some screenshots showing that I mean:

I found some other issues that I had wrote in a paper but as I run apug daily all those issues seems to be solved now.

I valide the choice of Chromium + Sylpheed as web browser and e-mail client as I found that finally Chromium is faster and reactive with several tabs opened than Opera (feeling in a daily use, not timing with a chrono)

I'll downgrade next days my laptop from 2 GB RAM to 1 GB to performs still some test between LibreOffice (works very fine with 2 GB) and AbiWord+Gnumeric because even if those last are lightest and faster a newbie who came from M$ universe probably will be more confortable with an "all in one" suite like LibreOffice with all GUI similaire between different apps than with some individual software that is the case of AbiWord + Gnumeric.

I'll also remake my partition scheme in my other laptop (Acer Aspire 5310 from 2007 with 1 GB RAM) to have a dual boot with 3.7.X-32 and 3.7.X-64, as this I'll have 2 machines to test 32 bit release and one of them lets me to compare 32 and 64 bit release in the same HW

2 Likes

@Thanatermesis,
as said before today - it's still there also in 375a_64

will report a bit later

Yes The /etc/elive/installation-status is set to : Status: installed

I will retry again upgrade from 64 bits to 32 so see if I am offered to " upgrade"

At which points / steps I should be offered to upgrade ?

I am now at " Select a hard disk partitioning option"

If I choose Automatic, I am not offered to upgrade

It is only asking if I was to Erase my entire Disk ( no upgrade option)

NOte : trying to upgrade Elive 64 3.7.5 to ELive 32 3.7.4

P.s. I can reinstall clean ELive 3.7.4 32 bits but if it's simple to fix the upgrade problem, It would be cool. Few people will go from 64 to 32, may it doesn't worth investigating.

mmh, that's in fact the fault of the application itself which sets a default size bigger than your screen

we cannot do much about this in e16, e17 had a feature to keep the windows inside the border limits, but only e17 (you should have probably the same problem with e22)

mentions: @Rebel450

chromium better? interesting :thinking: good to know !

perfect :slight_smile:

mmmh, i think that the 32bit kernel doesn't include reiser4 support, this could mean that the reiser4 actual partitions cannot be readed, if your install was in reiser4, that can be the reasonj

1 Like

You've got it... I am sure this is it

I had 2 reason to upgrade from 64 to 32 ( to see if it works)
and
see how the speed would be impacted. (a lot better)

But as web browser are more recent and I can install my 64 bits apps, even if it is slower, i'll keep this slow laptop in 3.7.5 / 64 bits / reiser4

Confirmed.
But it is in love with Google,
not everyone may like this much...

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: Interesting video, very recent about countries spying on us

Reinstalling elive in 32 bits version on my slow HP Laptop

Will keep you updated if it’s a lot faster

Well, having chrome by default and opera available / selectable on installing its a good thing

By default, mostly everyone just uses google as the default front page, but for anyone that wants to change it is just a very fast config (or just login to sync all your default settings, so the homepage doesn't really matter, in fact it wont track anything if you are not logged lol)

OK just reinstalled Elive 32 bits 3.7.4 clean on my slow HP Laptop with 2GB of Ram and ELive 32 is really better

I have Thunderbird that is presently synching a bunch of mailbox account + chromium ( faster / smoother than opera on Elive 32 bits) and everything is going well

Am using 1 GB of 2 GB RAM

2 Likes