3.7.4 (32bit) betatesting experiences

@Thanatermesis

Prior ELive 32 bits 3.7.4

• my touchpad was not working on my small laptop
  • some former forums member were complaining about our kernel version / jessie etc

How come now, with 3.7.4 my touchpad and everything is ok and we now have a recent kernel version ?

It;s not complaint, just trying to understand the linux / Debian world

Elive 32 3.7.4 rocks !!!

~ ❯❯❯ uname -a
Linux Elive-HP-Stream-32bits 4.19.0-5-686 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.37-3 (2019-05-15) i686 GNU/Linux

Am I right saying ELive 32 use ALSA As sound system ?
My youngest son is playing with some DJ software on Windows and I was trying to do the same with MIXXX and the no sounds goes out

The choice in Mix for output system are ALSA or OSS,

Alsa should work ?

The song is playing but no sound out...

I skipped the Keyboard configuration when reinstalling my new Elive 32 bits on a laptop.

Now installed ( working so well) , I would like to change my keyboard config and can't find how LOL

No keyboard tool....

I know we can do it trough the terminal but there must be a way through the GUI ?

"sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration" wil run a GUI to chose a layout.

1 Like

new kernel / drivers / software :slight_smile:

alsa for the stable version, pulseaudio for the new alphas (but alsa is also used in the background for pulseaudio)

yes alsa should work,
i just tried mixxx here in live mode and it plays without problems by default

1 Like

I have read pretty good experiences from the 32 bit specific build running on old machines :slight_smile:

Can somebody compare it with the version 3.0-stable of elive ? (about its performance & resources especially)

notes:

• yes, you can also install both systems in the same machine to compare in a more detail
  • yes, i know 3.0 is a more featured and beautiful desktop, but im talking mostly about performances

mentions: @yoda, @maxinou

As the kernel is older on 3.0. and there is or will be less security patches, Am I right saying whatever the comparisons results were, we need / better move to the new 32 bits 3.7.x with new kernel "anyway" ?

If you're still curious to compare, let me know without touching my install, how I would proceed ? Boot with live, gparted to create a new partition and install 3.0 on that partition ?

yes, for sure "new" system is a better option because of that, but for the cases where a computer has specifically X amount of ram (or cpu power), it is more important to know how light/fast the system is, because it will simply become "useless" even if newer/featured if the computer can't simply handle it

yeah, basically just add a partition (at least 20gb) for install 3.0 on that partition and that's basically all needed :slight_smile: , then just compare your own feeling / impression and some resources reports

1 Like

Yes, of course, I installed yesterday both 32 and 64 bit flavour in the same machine (you should had received some issues from the installer llopnav Gmail. Com as it didn't detect my previous Elive system so not offer to upgrade and some strange things with partitions)

I'm doing the same now to have in the same machine 3.0.6, 3.7.4-32 and 3.7.6-64 to perform some tests to compare.

I'll do the same next week in my other laptop with 3.0.6 and 3.7.4-32

Both laptops will have only 1 Gb RAM for those test

Wait and see...

1 Like

update:

i just moved the "google / yahoo / etc" topics to another thread in the offtopic section, because:

• its offtopic, after all :rofl2:
  • not useful to have search engines indexing these type of contents / information (just changed the permissions of the offtopic section)
2 Likes

When I installed ELive and choose French Canada, from the live mode, before installing, and then if i install Elive, the keyboard ends up being ok on the installed version

When I manually run the Debian keyboard install, I can't find the right configuration.

How come, when installing Elive, installer, my keyboard config is ok ?

And now, I am stucked in that loop because the last time i installed 3.7.4 32 bits on my slow HP laptop, I had the stupid ID to skip the keyboard configuration steps, when in Live mode, before the installation

And now trying to fix it... Something that would be simple if I had simply not closed the Elive keyboard configuration that does a good job

tks for your patience

There's a difference between the keyboard X uses and systemwide one.

On the command line I personally use "setxkbmap -rules evdev -model evdev -layout us -variant altgr-intl" which gives me all the symbols I need, including French, German, Scandinavian and Spanish.

öóíúüþëéåäøœïhgfðß῵ñb®©çœæ ÖÓÍÚÜÞËÉÅĦ،ÏHGFЧÁµÑB®¢ÇŒÆ

For Canadian the "fr-legacy" is used by default.

Want to know how many are available: "less /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.lst " :innocent:

You can set a shortcut in to a key-combo in e16 if you want to switch keboard maps with that command ........ but I suspect @Rebel450 would (rightly) want a GUI option for that. :smiley14:

2 Likes

BTW, Opera doesn't install even if marked while installing, I'll wait for your answer before to install it myself because maybe you will have plan to add it to repositoires.

I have now my both laptops with both 3.0.6 and 3.7.4-32 running and I'm working with both all this week to compare, both with 1 GB RAM only. I want to perform intensive test between Opera and Chromium (I try to make me as much as invisible that possible for GAFA companies, so I prefer Opera even if my test with 2 GB RAM shown me that Chromium was very fast. I want to try again both in the same conditions (1 GB RAM)

I'll wait for your answer to install Opera by myself or wait for you to add it to Elive repositoires

I had this problem once with one of the 64 version, don't remember which.
It will be simple to fix for @Thanatermesis he did it for the 64 bits installer

For now, you could install it using synaptics or the command line, whichever you are more comfortable with

It isn't at Synaptic, I can download it and install myself but I want to prevent that for a newbie user is not easy to do if he doesn't find it in Synaptic

1 Like

Hi!

It seem to be just in the E16 menu, "Network" line...

That is a 32 bit problem. Downloading and installing the .deb from the opera site shouldn't be a problem but there's only a 64 bit available nowadays. :disbelief:

But if you are comparing to 3.0.6 you should be sure to have the same versions of the browsers too, anyway.

I have just installed and (subjectively) compared 3.7.4 32bit and 3.0.6 install on my "old" thinkpad X61.
This machine is a dual core (so it could run 64bit) with 2Gb ram.

It's a machine I want to use because it has an excellent wacom screen.

After running both, for me 3.0.6 wins hands down in look and feel as well as functionality. The speed difference is not noticeable IMO.

The 3.7.4 has a strange niggle with the wacom stylus, in that it randomly jumps to the side of the screen when on the bottom left quadrant of the screen.
It does create some very strange effects when drawing in mypaint. :nod:

Will now try 64bit install/upgrade and see how that compares to 3.0.6 :1up:

Just upgraded my X61 to 64bit. Overall not bad but ....... the wacom problem persists.
Checkout the madness :eyepopping:

http://triantares.ddns.net/Apps/WacomTest.mp4

make sure you don't have the options "send mouse to window..." in the focus preferences

also, check that you have a single window in that screen, i have seen a strange mouse behaviour with chromium and a terminal opened in the background

hum, after to see the video looks like it is wrongly detecting something in the bottom of your screen, does it have dust or humidity maybe? to make sure is not a hardware problem try it with a different os / version