3.7.4 betatesting experiences

oh i see

Mmh I assume that you are good with bash scripting, try to edit the /usr/bin/elive-health script, adding "set -x" in the second line and then running it from user (and scanner connected), you will see what is failing from the scanner detection :thinking:

You mean between SOURCE="$0" and el_make_environment?
or before SOURCE="$0" ? Not sure where you start counting.:thinking:
Anyway eliveremote is installed, you can watch if you want to.

it doesnt matter much, better after the first lines, in short the "set -x" will add debug info (so better if it doesn't include all the sourcing things in the debug)

you need to run the tool, and i need to know your root pass :slight_smile: , is more easy to do eliveremote things from irc chat, but right now i need to go do a few things, so maybe in another moment if we are unable to know why is not detecting the scanner

check the script too, is very simple of how it does to detect and instlal the scanner thing

I can do that but I already know the result: it works fine. :nod:
UPDATE:
as expected it does and after opting for "no" (not installing drivers) I reboot the machine and now the widget pops up by itself, after a while.:thinking:

Funny issue is: I lose my touchpad/mouse but the wacom stylus still works.
That is the moment the zenity widget appears.

Here's a screenshot of running syslog when it loses the touch- and trackpad:

Mmmh, ok let's recap:

• computer boots (scanner should be connected and turned ON)

• destktop starts, elive-health should be automatically launched (requires that you have it in your startup applications list, which by default is enabled)

• this command is run (and should include the model needed to know too): lsusb | grep -qs "Brother Industries"

• as you can see in the script, the resulting model is parsed and selected a specific package to install

• package installs

• OR: if you select "no", it's not installed, then a conf is saved in order to know that you already said "no" and avoiding asking this every desktop start (so maybe you have this old conf?)

~ ❯❯❯ find .config/ -iname ''elive-health''
    .config/elive/elive-tools/el_config/%%usr%%bin%%elive-health_conf.sh

note: this forum is replacing the original chars, edit the post to get the correct find command
you can safely remove that conf to make sure that its correctly asked

I think that's part of the problem:
That printer/scanner goes into "deep sleep" if unused too long and subsequently turns itself off.
Rightly so as it's a laser printer ans consumes quite a bit when turned on. It makes the lights flicker on my 1200W 24DC/240AC inverter :roll_eyes:

Tried on a Virtualbox install and it went fine (and left the touchpad intact) ...... elive-health did its job as it should.

1 Like

so then everything is good :slight_smile:

is not perfect since its not a realtime thing but at least a good feature to have included by default

No denying that.
It's just that "simplescan" immediately throws a popup telling the user to download the drivers at the Brother website.

well, thats a feature of the application itself

i dont know at the moment a better idea of how to implement it, yeah it could be some daemon listening dbus/acpi/udev calls to wait for that, but it must be light and generic to allow more features than this one (elive gem or topaz had a similar thing for plugged printers, camera's, etc :boogie:), probably with a newer enlightenment this could be more easy to do, as it was in older versions of elive, like topaz in right-click configuring the desktop gadget for plugged disks/usb's (and aparently nobody noticed such features lol)

1 Like

@triantares im performing an install similar to yours, without success trying to reproduce the "busy partitions" issue:

• 3.0 was installed in sda3, with extra /home partition, no encryption
  • 3.7.4 was installed in sda5, alone, no encryption
  • rebooted + run installer
  • asks me for upgrade existing elive installations, i select the one with 3.0 (sda3)
  • asks me for an extra bios partition (i said NO, since your structure doesn't looks to have one too, in order to reproduce the same behaviour)
  • installation upgrades, without any message or error about busy disks, everything goes fine

I don't know what i do different (speculating that there still something wrong that should be improved in the installer), maybe you had a partition busy with something (a terminal opened? mounted somewhere?)

if you have any hint to reproduce the issue tell me, so i have the vbox with a snapshot of the previous step to try again

maybe you should try again (but with 3.7.5, just in case)

You will have to put it up first, :laughing:
I'll be at home Sunday and Monday and have the machine reinstated as it was and try again.

And no I didn't have a terminal opened or a partition mounted, booted elive-live and went straight to the installer ..... I even rebooted the machine (remember ) a couple of times.

Here's a screenshot of the Vbox running that topology:

Ok, I was unable to reproduce the issue but i think that I found the cause :slight_smile: , seemed like sda5 was not umounted because of a "scanning loop" in the installer which skipped the umount part (this leaded to a partition of sda mounted, which was detected as disk busy), the issue should be fixed now

so... if you try to upgrade again your 3.0 stable install to a new alpha version (better 3.7.5), it should work without problems :slight_smile:

but you had other small issues, can you remember me them? of course "keeping installed applications" is a trivial thing, but you had issues with the desktop configurations i think ? Now the installer will update cairo-dock, mimemtypes, and e16 confs if your previous install is older than 3.7.5 :thinking: tell me if im misssing any conf that needs to be updated

That would be nice if it were 3.7x I was updating ....... but 3.0.6 is a different beast with only e17 configs.
The main other issue was that the e16 screen it booted into wasn't configured properly. IMO coming from 3.0.6 the installer should forget old e16 and just write the new one like it was a new installation.

BTW.
Note the screenshot I added in the previous post. It shows the HD topology.

not really, elive historially had since the first-first version an e16 conf :slight_smile: , but of course the old ones has been much improved recently, so an upgrade of this conf (that exists in 3.0, even if not used) is needed too

this was a different issue, maybe a bug introduced by debian, where the sockets in /tmp/.X11-unix/* where not cleaned and the graphical session started as extra "graphical sessions", which is easily reflected in your:

echo $DISPLAY
:0.0

or even better:

~ ❯❯❯ ps aux | grep xorg
root 13716 6.0 1.0 369728 76380 tty7 Ssl+ 08:30 28:57 /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg :0 -seat seat0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch

it should be always :0.0, and yours was at least :3.0, i dont know why this happened but if happens again please verify your DISPLAY value

this is what does, everything (i mean, e16 conf, cairo-dock conf, mimetypes confs) before 3.7.5 is now removed, oh, and gtk2/gtk3 theme confs

ah nice :slight_smile: I was reading that on the logs too, btw you can use the first "empty" 1MB partition as a BIOS partition, which your gpt disk would be happy to have :slight_smile:

Aye, that's why I put it there a while ago ...... I think when I tried to get secure boot to work but got distracted along the way.

So you can just give this one as BIOS and your disk will be more happy for grub installs :slight_smile:

@triantares im seeing also another small issue, looks like related to sudo configurations -but- in fact they should be correctly upgraded, try if you have this result from your user:

~ ❯❯❯ sudo elive-upgrader-root --ping
pong

the strange thing is that the installer should import your user to the new sudoers confs, you should have set that "first user" to /etc/elive-version

@Thanatermesis

I don't want / lazy to read all the threads, what is new with 3.7.5 ?

Do 3.7.4 users have anything special to do to take benefit of something/anything new/specials ?

moving --> 3.7.5 betatesting experiences

:boogie:

2 Likes

So that slow HP 1GB RAM of mine: I have it dual booting now between 32 Bit 3.7.4 and 64 Bit 3.7.5. This is not very scientific, but the time taken to boot, launch Firefox to the same page, close, and launch Libreoffice writer: 136 secs versus 180 sec (32Bit faster by 24%). RAM usage peak also lower: 250 MB versus 380 MB.

4 Likes

seem really very nice thanks for sharing peeps

1 Like