3.7.5 betatesting experiences

That is exactly what happens when chosing upgrade.:smiley14:

Only if you want to keep certain self installed packages (meaning not in the default Elive install) you need to add them to "/etc/elive/packages_to_maintain_installed"
So just put your virtualbox in there.

That shouldn't have happened if you really did opt for upgrade i.e your home directory should be untouched.
Methinks you chose to format your existing drive.
When upgrading:do not alter existing partitions other than resizing them before hand.

@triantares That shouldn't have happened if you really did opt for upgrade i.e your home directory should be untouched.
Methinks you chose to format your existing drive.

No, I watched the whole process in detail. I elected to existing partitions and no format.

VB error also said could no longer find the extra extended package it needed for USB 3 as well. All was installed and working before the upgrade.

Did you have a seperate "/home" partition or was it inside one big "/ " partition?

@triantares Did you have a seperate "/home" partition or was it inside one big "/ " partition?

No, I use home in the filesystem. / partition.

Should I have to use a separate partition? Would that keep my data backed up before the upgrade?

@triantares Note to all that installed extra settings for USB3 on Virtualbox Make sure there is an entry for virtualbox in /etc/elive/packages_to_maintain_installed otherwise you might have to jump thru the same hoops again.

For sure!!!!! Happened to me :o(

Some do other don't keep a separate partition.
I always do. About 20G for / and the rest (assuming there's a lot more space) for /home.
That way I'm never worried 'cause a lot of distros tend to format "/ " when installing.
And admittedly it gets messy (and very full) if they don't.

There aren't many left that even give an upgrade option. :face_with_head_bandage:

That would be something @Thanatermesis can tell.

Is it an option to add that to "grub2"?
You know: the option to "directly install/upgrade" i.e start running the install scripts straight away once the system is up.
Particularly for upgraders that do not need to really try-out the system.

@triantares Is it an option to add that to "grub2"?
You know: the option to "directly install/upgrade" i.e start running the install scripts straight away once the system is up.
Particularly for upgraders that do not need to really try-out the system.

Thats right. I did not see a choice in boot up menu for a direct install option. That would be good. I do know of other distros that have it but not the UPGRADE part just direct install. Both would be good.

Just tested your setup upgrading 3.7.4 to 3.7.5 keeping a few programs as well as e17 (for the menu) and /home on the "/" partition (one big partition) and everything went smooooooth :laughing: and rebooted perfectly into the new system, retaining all I specified as well as all my files in my home.
Total install time 10-15 minutes. :applause:
So methinks something did go wrong at your end of the machine i.e somewhere a wrong setting was chosen.

On an upgrade you shouldn't even have had that option as the "upgrader" uses your existing partition scheme.

Well OK. I believe you. In the future then I will make the partitions like you have so there will be no problems with the upgrade going forward.

Well, you don't have to. Maybe something else happened, I'm just comparing my experiences.
Keeping a seperate /home partition makes it easier with a clone(zilla)too.
You just clone that partition and recreate it, at will on other machines with other distros.:nod:
That last bit does require a tad of /etc/fstab editing.:blush:

I never created separate partition for home, even if I understand why people do it

My Elive installation and upgrade went well

all my Data is on the cloud either google or dropbox so I am less concerned about it. ( + local backup on USB Drive)

@Thanatermesis
I will do an upgrade of my 2 laptops to 3.7.5 today :slight_smile: Feedback to come :wink:
Note : from 3.7.4(upgraded from 3.7.x) to 3.7.5

Just try to run the 3.7.5

1st comment / WiFI : : it was difficult to connect to the WiFi, I was offered once by the OS to connect and after that it didn't prompt me for the Password. I was offered a 2nd time to connect by the installer, an again, I was able to select my WiFI Network but not enter the password. I rebooted and started over and waited longer and I am nor sure why, this time when selecting my WiFi I was able to enter the password

2n comment / Upgrade ?? : I launched the install but didn't offered me to " upgrade", so I said NO when offered to erase all the disk,

Could someone remind me, what is the " choice sequence " that will allow me to be asked " if I want to upgrade" ?

I don't know why I was not offered....I did upgrade from 3.7.3 to 3.7.4 on 3 machines...

2nd Laptop : Dell / More recent

• WiFI was easy, I was able to enter the password and connect on the stop
  • I launched the installer

Was not offer to upgrade but to erase disk so I will wait for instruction...

May be it's after that Erase Disk question, I would be offered to upgrade ??

@yoda Could someone remind me, what is the " choice sequence " that will allow me to be asked " if I want to upgrade" ?

I don't know why I was not offered..

Same for me too! You are not alone.

@yoda Was not offer to upgrade but to erase disk so I will wait for instruction...

May be it's after that Erase Disk question, I would be offered to upgrade ??

Same for me too!!!

could be considered both, or any, it just removes the privative ones

it is meant to be more useful to be true or false return (echo $?), in your specific case it should be "detected nvidia card", i just added an extra message for that

it is the default, you always have it, or by removing the nvidia privative drivers makes sure that you have it installed too (reinstalling possible missing packages)

Seems like the version 390 of the nvidia drivers fails to work :thinking: i have a machine where they didn't worked too, but i dont know the reason, when loading the module seems like to error like "no nvidia card found", maybe we are missing some step? or an extra package? :thinking:

the installer will take care to migrate your system without problems :slight_smile: it has been recently tested, BUT about nvidia, if doesn't works for you in Live mode, it wont work on installed too... if you are able to run the live mode with graphical system working then it will work (like using nouveau? or a different version of the drivers?)

it added missing menus (by e22), but if you want the better ones made by elive which are better organized and intuitive you must install e17-menus instead

yes but not both at the same time, only pick one :slight_smile:
for menus, just install e17-menus, it has no dependencies, no need to add on this list since it should have been included in 3.7.5 and will be fixed for the next one

only packages available from repos

yep, no lightdm is run in live mode

which user-data specifically? the upgrade-mode of the installer (asks if you want to upgrade your pervious system) should take care about everything possible

"and no format" ? this should be not the case... when you select the root partition of your previous system it says "an old elive system is found, do you want to upgrade it?" (not asking for format)
but i have see a recent minor issue where the "installed-status" was not previously set (this would have not give you the option to upgrade mode), check the first post of this thread which explains about that... installs since now should have this solved (for next ones)

i think that there's an option to add, but it doesn't matter much, you just need to go to the menus (apps -> elive) and run the installer
in fact it is good to "try a bit the system first" (instead of go directly to upgrade), just to verify that everything works as expected or seeing some new changes

note: "upgrade" word could be wrong in the grub since this step doesn't knows if you have or not a system to upgrade, this is detected and asked by the installer when its run (and scans your partitions)

yeah, probably the "dumped" status thing (explained on first post)

"api e17-menus" in your installed system later :slight_smile:

run thunar from a terminal, if you see dbus errors / warnings you need to "logout" to re-login in the desktop, to have dbus correctly started... this should be fixed in 3.7.5 but i improved it even more and not sure if was for 3.7.5, should be fixed in 3.7.6

check the tips of the first post, @yoda @Terry_Rosinski