3.7.5 betatesting experiences

@Thanatermesis what post / tips ?

So many comments, posts, threads, replies. If you can just copy / past here what is that tip please...

first post of this thread, check the "upgrade mode" notes

1 Like

OK will try :

Notes:

UPGRADE mode : if you want to upgrade your previous install, first make sure that your system contains the "installed" value on that file, if not, change "dumped" to "installed":
sudo scite /etc/elive/installation-status

Why was I offered to upgrade in the past ?

• the logout thing worked to fix the WiFI connections difficulties (yes there was a thunar dbus error running it from the command line)
  • the installation status " INSTALLED" worked to be offered to upgrade

Now proceeding with the upgrade

ok upgrade done on 1st laptop

• I typed the package I wanted to keep but they were not kept. I suppose if they were installed manually and were not part of defaut Debian Buster Repo, that they can't be kept and be install at upgrade ?

Is it possible for your once Elive in installed, that if a new package are installed through a manual installation, to create a list of those packaged so they would be kept if we upgrade ?

I'll now reinstall some lost apps during the upgrade even if listed in the TEXT box asking me which package I wanted to keep ( not that much, don't worry)

tks it brough back the menu of apps.. I didn't used that ELive menu (that is good looking) but it is working. SO this fix what @Terry_Rosinski was reporting

tks for the Lockscreen package not built in... for non experienced user, I think it should be a shortcut that is created by default and option that is visible in menus if it's simple.. as Locking a Laptop is something I think, most people do often with most distros

How to I automated my screen to lock when I close the lid ? I have an idea how or could google but prefer ask here and wait for the answer... ELive is a hobby for me as for a lot of people, thanks for your patience....

So go play bowling, do some bike, Netflix, me I Elive..... (although I also Netflix and do some bike rides LOL )

The Laptop's install Wi-Fithing / slow computer having difficulty to have WiFi to install Elive / workaround run thunar to see if dBus error / logout and log back in / then get the WiFi to finally start again the install is :
a slow computer thing...

I never have that behavior on my fast laptop... Presently upgrading it

Sorry for the description, I am in Quebec / holiday mode here / beer mode....

that explain the quality of my detailed description...

I suggest that when people Retart Desktop Configuration to take benefit of some Elive speciale tweaks / improvements, that some custom settings (you'll decide which one) would be kept ?

Example : keybindings...

I know we can back them up, but new users could go to the frustration to loose some customization they did and didn't know they would loose...

I mean, whatever is possible to keep during :

• upgrade
  • Restart Desktop Configuration

would make sense to keep...

So you say
We don't have Noveau - but a variant called
'nvidia noveau' ?

If so,
why we have to struggle with it since!

As I pointed out in my Last message to yo
On Elive any Nvidia install never succeed at all.

Clear pls.

2 upgrades on my 3.7.x upgraded to 3.7.4 upgraded to 3.7.5 went well

• slow HP laptop 2 GB ram, 32 GB SSD
  • fast Dell Laptop 16 GB Ram, SSD drive

reinstalled 2-3 apps after the upgrade

@Thanatermesis as it is an UPGRADE, I suppose I do not have to Restart Desktop Config to get all the benefit of your 3.7.5 tweaks ?

Extra notes :

• my 3 PC have been running Elive 3.7.x up to 3.7.5 and are very stable
  • all using reiser4
  • nothing to complain / else than suggestion to make Elive as easy to use as possible to use for " New to linux " users... as for people that tried a few distro, Elive actual version is good...

Which suggestions am I talking about ?

• Lock for laptop easily accessible ( Dock bar, shortcut)
  • Wi-Fi easily accessible in Live mode, on slow computer to be able to use the last version of the installer
  • the upgrade steps ( modify that config text for Installed instead of DUMP, need to be made if possible, to automatic
  • as for the others, Il' try to remember...

ELive is a perfect distro for people that tried several distro...

also good for new people but if you try :

• mint
  • ubuntu
  • ubuntu budgie
  • ubuntu based Elementary OS and Endless OS
  • I did enjoyed a lot Manjaro but it is more complex than the ones above... Manjaro XFCE is my 2nd choice after Elive...

We've got competition as for " easy of use, install, upgrade"

IMHO, for experienced or "non Linux newbie", ELive is faster, lighter, more stable, more efficient... But if you want to compete in the "distros world for newbies", we've got some work to do...

Do we we want to compete there ?

Let's change the Elive / Linux world : One package / tweak at a time LOL

@yoda We've got competition as for " easy of use, install, upgrade"

IMHO, for experienced or "non Linux newbie", ELive is faster, lighter, more stable, more efficient... But if you want to compete in the "distros world for newbies", we've got some work to do...

Do we we want to compete there ?

Let's change the Elive / Linux world : One package / tweak at a time LOL

I could't agree more!!!! :nod:

1 Like

only will be installed the packages available from default repos

1. there's no reliable way to know what you installed, unless you manually add it in the list
  2. non-official packages (repos) are not reliable

this is a small bug fixed for 3.7.6

not possible / too hard to implement
users must decide "use its actual settings / benefit from new default ones"

I didn't understood the exact problem

live mode ask if you want to use the privative or the free drivers (nouveau), there's no way to know if A works better than B for you, that's why the question, so user can select his choice

3.7.5 includes lock hotkey (and others? i don't remember, check the changes listed), if you don't have it in your previous install you must decide between:

1. keep your old settings
  2. restart to a new default conf to have it
  3. implement it yourself

remember: we are advanced betatesters, normal users don't even know these options, and they don't need to deal with these things, they will just use the defaults from the version they installed and dont care / know about more things. In other words: nobody forces you to use / check / know the extra features like "elive-skel upgrade", if they downloaded 3.7.5 they will have lock, if they downloaded 3.7.4 they will not have (do we want to always-remove the old users settings? i dont think so :thinking:)

2 Likes

You always say the same at this point.
It seems that you just don't want to understand.
" live mode ask if you want to use the privative or the free drivers "

Again, and for the last time now:
These solutions are Not working.
We are hanging here since 3.0.6 -
meanwhile with 4 different machines on my side
plus these from others, like:

This needs an overhaul,
otherwise I can not imagine that the project will become successful in the near future.

Actually you changed nothing at all with the Nvidia issue yet.
Obviously you count and trust on Debian, but they are so outdated and lost with this,
we should adapt here from other distros - like I sent you lately - they don't suck -
how comes....

Can anybobody, especially @yoda, explain to me please:

What is the sense of testing if an upgrade
in alpha/beta stage is successful or not ?

Is this not just like playing around and a waist
of time and sources....

Imo looks useless.
You lost your data/files of your /home...
And you got surprised, seriously?

@Rebel450
we should adapt here from other distros - like I sent you lately - they don't suck

That is a Very Good Idea and there is nothing wrong with doing that since Linux is open source why re-invent the wheel when you can use what another has and is WORKING. Makes sense and there is no shame in doing that either. If it helps the project move forward to making milestones then by all means.

what is not working ?

i cannot do anything without specific information

the "current"-version of the nvidia drivers works, as I tested it in the version 3.7.2 (more or less), but the 390-version (specifically) seems like it doesn't works (not worked on one of my machines, and not worked with everybody that I readed about this specific version)

because nobody told me yet where / what is exactly the problem :woman_shrugging:

I don't have any specific report, with a specific issue, saying "what" is not working or "how it should be done" :woman_shrugging: i don't even know yet what is wrong / not working lol

I need to know things in a more specific way, like:

• the module doesnt load
  • the module didn't compiled
  • the graphical system dont load with the compiled module
  • there's a missing package to make it working

in fact, to improve my own betatesting of nvidia, there's a special hidden feature which simulates a nvidia card as much as possible, if you run the live mode in any machine without nvidia (like vbox), and you add the boot parameter simulate=nvidia, the boot process simulates that you have a nvidia card, asks if you want to install the driver, you select it (for exmaple "current"), then it installs the needed packages and compiles the module, this way i can betatest that the entire process works correctly (dialogs shows up, messages correct, selecting version, installing packages, availability of them, compiling module..) everything works fine (just testing it again now) until it try's to load the module, which of course fails because the machine doesn't has a real machine (this can be only tested in a machine with nvidia cards), then it says that the use of the driver failed and starts the process of cleanup/removing it, which also works perfectly and the graphical system is launched without problems (with nvidia uninstalled). I cannot test more than that without a real nvidia machine

lol this is a wrong belief, debian is the majority of times more updated than ubuntu
just compare package versions between both

just as a small test with the "udev" package which is a very needed and important part of the OS:

Ubuntu – Package Search Results -- udev -> version 237 for ubuntu Bionic (this is not the version which is so "last" and unstable and not-working?)
Debian -- Package Search Results -- udev -> version 241 for debian Buster (just like elive alpha), without being so unstable and not-working, and just a few days before its stable release (debian buster stable release)

we should adapt here from other distros - like I sent you lately - they don't suck -

they don't suck? then why most of the distros which tried to switch from debian to ubuntu returned to debian or the project died? :rofl2:

2 Likes

@Thanatermesis then why most of the distros which tried to switch from debian to ubuntu returned to debian or the project died? :rofl2:

I heard from more than one source (from distrowatch) that Ubuntu is going down and don't know how much longer it will stay alive. That people should be looking to hang with Debian because of its long roots and stability. I gave up on Ubuntu variants and now only test and have loaded are Debian only. I really place Elive first for it has enlightenment & Debian mix. Debian base with nothing else is boring. Elive is interesting. @Thanatermesis has come a long way with this distro and has lots of experience. Debian is rock solid :nod:

Here is a statement from a user on Distrowatch: 1Ubuntu drops 32-bits (by Guido on 2019-06-24 01:35:51 GMT from Philippines)
What a sad day! Now it is a final decision. No 32 bit support any more. I must stuck with 18.04 LTS or switch to Debian 10.

3 Likes

Hello!

About nvidia's: is it possible to use, at least as a second issue, the tool that can be find in other distrib's called somewhat "(private) pilots managers"? It's the way to install or verify this e.g. in Mint or CAELinux...

A little thing about wifi: it works well for me, but there's just a gap between the "save" button in the prefs editor and the the connexion by itself, where an average user can't know if / when it's going to connect... Of course probably during 10 seconds or so, but...

Next days, if not too hot (got no isolation by day) or enough energy (no sun by night & used batteries), I will try on a separate drive on the Dell M6700: install CAELinux + install Mint + migrate both to Elive, under reiser4 if possible for / 's and ext4 for /home (one /home for the two)...

Salutations!

This is getting interesting now -
It Shows how much attention you pay (or better: less) for postings reading/notice ....
This was Debian, by the way.
That's why I mentioned to cross check If there is not a better/newer way of recognizing the Nvidia cards - or - the obviously better supporting version of the noveau driver and also may be XRandR.
Again:
This LXDE worked oob with no issues at all,
even on dual Display mode.

Note:
The issue with the dual display ; crash before installation initiated: Update:
This behaviour occurs always with SOME distros using Debian, Others also using Debian not =
I investigated what is it annnnnd
As soon the System loads the Nvidia Driver,
relating to the (wrong) result of hardware detection,
:fu: and now watch out :point_down:
the (build-in) fan of the Nvidia Card stops to spin,
the Card gets overheated and just switch off =
loss of Signal on both (or also same even on one) displays.
Means
This is not the fault of Elive, the error occurs on Debian base.
So there is no reason for you @Thanatermesis,
Feeling offended your work.
But what is really annoying
is the fact that you trust so much in the Debian source which is not any perfect.

What I would do, If I only could:
(am too blond for it and I don't have time, because I have to spent time with things for living)

I would let run a spefiic distro
along with a debugger tool that shows which process is doing what and when
then I would adapt the same to the Elive installer.

And one more time:
The Noveau driver is doing the job well -
the Nvidia installation should be a separated process AFTER the system gets installed and is running (with Noveau. But the right one)

Do you have an idea how many Nvidias are out there - and are UNSUPPORTED by the Debian installer.....

Why don't you want to make life easy....

I can send you a machine for doing it on bare metal;
Dell Optiplex 780
Xeon Dual core
4 (or more) GB RAM
Nvidia GT whatever
If in need also a 22" HP ZR 2240w Display -
for Elive testing purposes - Just Talk !!!

If you want it,
send a PM with the Details of the Destination address.

PS:
Only German keyboards available from my side...

Additional Note:
When you are sweet,
I put a SSD on top

It's on you...

I want the fu..... Nvidia issue to get done
for that we can can come Out with an official release on christmas, or so,
damn.......