3.7.5 betatesting experiences

Have you given it any further thought why this would be the case?

Torvalds giving Nvidia a 'not so subtle' message.
Source:

No.
It's clear nothing to thought 'bout.

Nvidia is a hardware manufacturer with a wide range of products
and has nothing in common with Linux from their ideas.
Not worth a discussion at all.

At least they give Linux the opportunity to download their Linux drivers,
not many manufacturer does that, btw

But @triantares: = :spammer: :nod: :offtopic:

:spammer: :offtopic:
@triantares :
"and many still look to him a spokesman for the Linux community as a whole —" <- like triantares :nod:

But sry - not for me
Imo his perspective of view is outdated - we are heading to somewhere else nowadays ... (ya, ya Richard Stallmann: ... into the total desaster... - ya, to this too)

:stuck_out_tongue:

Indeed.

Which is not always the best to do so -
just keep in mind how many hardware is not working anymore after an update, though worked well before...

I could do this for the issue with the Optimus on Acer Aspire NoteBook -
pls handover the commands that will you lead into an useful result

I handover several times details at your service -
but you said: " humm, it should work ..."
Mhm, ya - it should, but .... :wink:

Exactly!
But the 390 behaves as it is set to be the default - it always appears -
then I checked he Debian drivers list "supported cards" and so on,
and I found that the 390 show up is definitely the wrong one for some case that occurred during several installs.
That's why I always say, the "hardware detection" (my word for it)
is detecting wrong

Looking fwd 2 ur rply

Hi!

@Thanatermesis: For nvidia, could you give us a (set of) command(s) (other(s) or further than nvidia-privative-drivers), or a little program/package to run on ours machine that could show up a report we can gives to you? A way to fit " Device Driver Manager (ddm.deb) or installing mintdrivers Mint driver manager for testing?

Thanks!

1 Like

are you living in the wood with some solar energy thing ??

It usually is.
I do notice that Ubuntu uses 4.4 kernel version and Elive uses 4.19 ....... so maybe a kernel downgrade might be worth a try. :thinking:

Actually, maybe @Rebel450 or @Franc might give that a try and see if the drivers will compile against that version.
On the other hand: The 390 drivers (offered by nvidia) are legacy drivers i.e for fairly old/outdated hardware. :confusing:

On checking with "apt-cache policy nvidia*" I don't see any entries for 390 ....... could it be there's no driver on offer at all?

the nvidia cards are correctly recognized (thats why it tells you if you want to install them, otherwise it won't say anything), but, i assume you are talking about the detection of the specific driver version

we are mixing steps / applications / installers / drivers / privative / nonprivative things in the report, which makes me entirely lost about "where / what" is the problem. So for that, I'm going to open a specific thread for that...

there's no installation of nouveau, if you select to not use the privative drivers, nouveau is used
or you are talking about the elive-installer-to-hard-disk ? :confusing:

more than ubuntu :nod: for sure
nobody said is perfect, and nothing in the world is perfect

nope, the installation of privative nvidia drivers must be done before the graphical system starts, and the best moment to do that is in the live mode
these drivers cannot be installed when nouveau is in use, and that's a major difficulty because even without graphical system started you have it in use by default, unless you boot with vga=normal boot parameter or similar (which is what does the "privative drivers boot option" from the live menu, required)

it is very easy already as how its implemented in elive, but i still don't know where is the problem (now im starting to believe/think that your only issue is by installing the version 390 of the privative drivers)

thank you! extra hardware to test can be pretty helpful for elive tests :slight_smile: address will be located in spain, but don't send it if you need or use this machine for anything :applause:

@Rebel450 I'm improving a bit the tool and going to betatest it soon, will give you more details when i have it ready

1 Like

downgrade is not the best option (we will lack new drivers and things), also is not really posible since is not the default one by debian buter, and will give more issues by its OS external dependencies/relations with other structures

user should select the driver version needed for its computer, the tool suggests a version but this doesn't means that is the correct version for his computer
by other side i think that the version 390 is not correctly installing by some reason (maybe a missing package?), but i need somebody with the hardware to try it and report "how" to make it working

"apt-cache search nvidia 390", or just "apse nvidia 390"

Nope, don't need ;
I got around 30 of them here.
I know it's in Barcelona, somewhere....
Say if you need the display too or not.
I need to check for a forwarder.

Look on it as a donation then :surprise: :boogie: :coding:

2 Likes

@Rebel450 yeah the screen will be pretty helpful too since I have only one :slight_smile:

thanks a lot! I will send you the address from PV :partying_face: :love:

1 Like

Nvidia updates:

I'm reading the code of the tool and improving it with more fallback and scanning options, adding interactive mode (open shell if install failed, so user can run things himself), and better informative messages for when the driver fails, will have some updates soon! :boogie:

@Rebel450 @Franc @Terry_Rosinski etc (i dont remember whose have nvidia cards, could be nice if we have in the forum some kind of "groups" or tags to follow, something like a mentioning of a tag/group to notifiy the people related to it)

Oh my goodness.....
Just TALK you, you, you .......

This display is a good one :disappointed:
You can connect via HDMI, DVI, VGA and DisplayPort, it has auto sensing - means it connects to the active input automatically,
or you can choose which Input shall displayed
and so it can be connected up to 4 PCs at once
and you can switch between them.
I guess that you also will need a cable for the so called DisplayPort....

Send pm then, can do it next week

well, don't worry for the display, i think that I have an old one (something like 800x600 or 1024x....) somewhere in the boxes, or i can use (switch) with my main screen too :slight_smile:

Nope,

I said - I said.
Therefore it will be there .
For Elive
For Sam, the next Steve Jobs (the good qualities are meant, only)
:wink:

1 Like

lol

well, some bad qualities are here too (high perfectionist in real life lol)

Nvidia updates:

In the meantime, I wrote this howto guide for nvidia drivers: Nvidia Privative Drivers installation

Which doesn't meants that will make them working (i need to improve the tool first), but is a well documented text about it and a howto about how to install them in the installed system (which is much more manual / harder)

is there any other thing to fix / improve for the next build ?

Will give it a spin tomorrow night (late) -
on the AMD K8 Elive Box...

@triantares how are you actually installing (upgrading) your systems ? i still receive wrong "sudo" permissions from you lol, can you show me the result of this?

ls -1 /etc/sudoers.d/

but don't try to configure it yourself, im more worried about "why your old user is not automatically added to the sudoers confs" in new installs