3.7.6 betatesting experiences

Hello!

One little thing, but important one: It seems that when installing Elive, entering user name and creating password, the password system have very bad limitations (somewhat like only English letters)! It should accept quite all possible letters, signs, punctuations, Japanese ideograms or so!

Salutations!

Why not?
You should though....

Hi!

There's still the thing that makes having to set two times the keymap (at least in French), at start of E16 (setting azerty, re-log, back qwerty, re-desktop config' > fr and ok)....

EDIT: It seems that in Terminal, the PASTE function is buggy... Or it's me? (For copy/paste a command)

:thinking:

@Franc

EDIT: It seems that in Terminal, the PASTE function is buggy... Or it's me? (For copy/paste a command)

I was told back a few versions ago that you need to use your middle mouse button to make the paste work then press the ENTER key. I thought it was weird but that is the way it is.....but it works and you'll get use to it.

Hi!

3.7.6 live mode Dell M6700 without nvidia drivers

Ok for the Terminal middle mouse button's paste..!

Other bug, just seen & tested 2 times: if, moving a window just up to the upper or downer limit of the screen, (beeing juste some lines at a bottom of a screen), the mouse went buggy, erratic and limited to a portion of the bottom of the sreen, exept when arriving to launch the desktop menu... The only way to get it back is to re-move the concerned window, up or down...

Again other one: in Chromium, when downloading a file & asking to open
the file navigator at its place, there's just a "flash fantom window" comming...

Salutations!

basically it should detect your "first user" to add the extra sudoers confs, it should rely on /etc/elive-version "first-user:" entry if you don't have a single user dir in /home

but i improved the installer so that "generic sudo" confs are added for all the users (like brightness or elive-upgrader) too, so it should be fixed now :thinking:

the installer alredy copy these files, and creates new sudoers confs as explained before. It will not create sudoers confs for extra things like apt-get (thats only for the first-user one), but will (should) do for elive-upgrader tool (which uses apt but is not an user use of apt itself)

that's a wrongly created one, you can simply remove this file (the updated installer will remove it too)

ok there's 2 different features in the elive installer, which works very similar in fact:

• upgrade mode: it upgrades your elive install reciclating the users
  • migration mode: it converts your other OS to elive

the process is almost the same thing, but the first one will ask you directly before to select partition where to install, the second one doesn't "scan + detect" it until you select the partition where to install and then it tells you "hey, there's another system already installed, you want to migrate it?"

a few ones are not allowed (pass will not work) and the tool should suggest you to not use them, like ' or " IIRC

im actually in colombia with GF, my return flight is on end of july :slight_smile:

you need an update package for make it working, not sure if included in 3.7.6 but should be in the next build

works for me, can you describe the problem? note that urxvt is a different terminal than terminology, right-click on it and if a gui menu appears, you are in terminology and not urxvt

depending of the machine resources, one of other is selected by default

related: Howto copy-paste in terminal

mmh, can you describe the steps to reproduce this issue? :thinking: and your actual resolution used

Hi!

3.7.6 Live mode booted on "3Gb", Dell M6700 nvidia M5000M, many things tried...

For Terminology, I have the gui menu with, e.g. "Paste", it paste but freeze: impossible to "Enter", use direction keys, "Echap", "TAB"or so...

Bugging mouse cursor: grab (move) a window, up or down, just over the limit of the sreen (here in 1920x1080), when only some lines are visible...

sudo nvidia-privative-drivers-install -c says "current" ( 418.56), but no CUDA for now (I'm on Blender & Linux pages to eventualy find something)...

Salutations!

use ctrl + shift + v, or just the middle-click of your mouse in the terminal

can you confirm that the nvidia privative drivers works correctly in your computer? which versions of the drivers?

i dont see any issue with this :thinking: cannot reproduce, can you record a video with your phone and upload it a "unlisted" youtube video ?

Well, I'm not sure that nvidia 418.56 (just edited when you reply) "works correctly", but at least, >>> nvidia-modprobe -h , tells among other things:
nvidia-modprobe: version 418.56

And you know what? I usualy wrote quite each stage for memory, but today... not..! :hot_face:

Not easy for me to make a video, but: when you catch a window in order to move it, grab it just over the limit where it change of screen (verticaly, in horizontal, seems no problem), & you got it... It's not usual, but easely accidental when displacing a window...

tips:

lsmod | grep nvidia
modinfo nvidia
dpl | grep nvidia
dmesg | grep -i nvidia
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i nvidia

Colombia in Spain or in USA?
Am so curious :sweat_smile:

colombia in america :slight_smile: lol

Tips gives:

nothing (no return)

❯❯ modinfo nvidia 1
Command 'modinfo' is available in the following places

• /sbin/modinfo
  • /usr/sbin/modinfo
    The command could not be located because '/usr/sbin:/sbin' is not included in the PATH environment variable.
    This is most likely caused by the lack of administrative privileges associated with your user account.

sudo modinfo nvidia 1
modinfo: ERROR: Module nvidia not found.

❯❯❯ dpl | grep nvidia 1
ii nvidia-detect 418.74-1 amd64 NVIDIA GPU detection utility
ii nvidia-modprobe 418.56-1 amd64 utility to load NVIDIA kernel modules and create device nodes

❯❯❯ sudo dmesg | grep -i nvidia 1
[ 1.734295] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: NVIDIA GM204 (124380a1)
[ 1.921748] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware nvidia/gm204/gr/sw_nonctx.bin
[ 1.921761] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware nvidia/gm204/gr/sw_ctx.bin
[ 1.921780] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware nvidia/gm204/gr/sw_bundle_init.bin
[ 1.921795] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware nvidia/gm204/gr/sw_method_init.bin
[ 82.636131] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware nvidia/gm204/gr/fecs_bl.bin
[ 82.636210] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware nvidia/gm204/gr/fecs_inst.bin
[ 82.636249] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware nvidia/gm204/gr/fecs_data.bin
[ 82.636275] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware nvidia/gm204/gr/fecs_sig.bin
[ 82.636312] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware nvidia/gm204/gr/gpccs_bl.bin
[ 82.636345] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware nvidia/gm204/gr/gpccs_inst.bin
[ 82.636365] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware nvidia/gm204/gr/gpccs_data.bin
[ 82.645496] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware nvidia/gm204/gr/gpccs_sig.bin
[ 82.645722] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware nvidia/gm204/acr/ucode_load.bin
[ 82.645795] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware nvidia/gm204/acr/ucode_unload.bin
[ 82.645839] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware nvidia/gm204/acr/bl.bin

❯❯ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i nvidia
cat: /var/log/Xorg.0.log: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

Hopping you find something!

EDIT: Is there a desktop / window snapshot tool in E16? Didn't find it!

looks like you are using nouveau (free driver) and not the privative nvidia drivers

you should try it from the Live mode and see if they installs correctly, its a more guided install

When was that? I'm talking about an upgrade a few hours ago.

That's what I'm saying: The first does not do that with a btrfs filesystem there i.e does not detect it as an installed system,

Where the whole point was: The upgrader created those files (wrong) whereas the copied over EliveX61 here, were created (right) by the installer.

So you're talking about the country Colombia,
not the city
Oh ya, am a fast thinker,
as @triantares already pointed out.....

1 Like

@Franc

EDIT: Is there a desktop / window snapshot tool in E16? Didn't find it!

Look for your Print Key button on your keyboard. Hopefully you have one on your keyboard. Mine does, I pressed it and it did a print screen instantly for me. Makes very nice print screens exactly as I see it.

In general, Linux does have macro keys you can do to perform a print screen as well. Try something like alt-p, ctrl-p.
PrtSc – Save a screenshot of the entire screen to the β€œPictures” directory.

Shift + PrtSc – Save a screenshot of a specific region to Pictures.

Alt + PrtSc – Save a screenshot of the current window to Pictures.

Ctrl + PrtSc – Copy the screenshot of the entire screen to the clipboard.

Shift + Ctrl + PrtSc – Copy the screenshot of a specific region to the clipboard.

Ctrl + Alt + PrtSc – Copy the screenshot of the current window to the clipboard.

1 Like

api xfce4-screenshooter

Well, it is a bit strange that in a way a command tells we are in privative 418, and in an other one, says it's "nouveau"... Isn't it?
And I'm in Live mode presently... Or you tell reboot on "privative drivers"?

@Terry_Rosinski: Ok! Here, only full sreen Fn+PrtSc works, but it's already that!
@Rebel450: Ok! Seen!

elive-screenshot is the configured tool in elive, which has some hotkeys (check the hotkeys pdf), which is much more handy than a gui tool :slight_smile:

i dont know about that tool, but your system reports that you are not using it

yes, boot in privative drivers and the guided tool in console will ask you for install the privative drivers, read all the guided dialogs and see which versions works for you