3.7.7 (32bits) betatesting experiences

IIRC reiser4 required a special kernel that wasn't signed. So I expect that 3.7.7 cannot see or mount the system.
You could try to boot sda8 with an external grub2 boot disk and then do a grub-update in there.
If I'm right it should see the other 2 file systems and add it to the boot stanza.

Be aware that in that case 3.7.6 will be the first (default) entry when you boot up again.

Also: 3.7.6 on reiser4 is dead in the water, might as well reinstall with ext4 now. Remember to externally
back up your personal stuff first as you'll have to format.

Ahm, (fast thinking.... :crazy_face: )
what about fstab or fuse?

@maxinou:
Very, very good idea, btw .... :upside_down_face:

Not fast enough ..... you need that kernel to see the file system so you need access to that kernel. Only way is to boot into it.

ok fine good

then shoot with grub repair on it = :stuck_out_tongue:

(if fails, you are screwed anyway) LOL

I didn't read the whole thread but are your saying not to use Reiser4 ? I have been using it on my 2 main PC since it is available from Elive.

May be you were talking about @maxinou config...

Like I said you will need to boot into it (grub2 disk)or have a reiser4 enabled Elive (3.7.6 x64) USB stick to boot with and mount sda8 from there...or "chroot" into sda8 from it and "grub-update"

.... and usually (after several hours) you get screwed or you lost patience
when it comes to issues with booting, oh - yaaa I have been there (too often)

:omfg: :money_mouth_face: :nauseated_face: :money_mouth_face: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting::rage: :broken_heart::gun::hammer::ohmygod:

It is very seldom that I cannot boot an existing OS with a supergrub disk .... so actually never had boot problems that long.
Knocking on wood there. :laughing:

Actually I'm saying that it will not be well supported, especially not if you want secure boot too.
At least that was the last I heard. Things might change, though.

so, he can not even boot from Reiser4 - what was it again (ahm fast thinking..) - /sda8/ ?
This is ... ahm, wait ahhh - a kind of irritating, isn't it?

@maxinou,
@triantares advice is good (and probably the only chance to get it to run)
boot from the install medium and do grub-update
on sda1
right, @triantares?

@yoda If you like to stay on the sunny side of life -
then stay with ext4.....
(at least with your own data!)

1 Like

Please guys, don't panic, reiser4 works very well in my Elive 64 from first day and all my data are in a separate partition and sync with Unison between 2 laptops and an USB HDD.
The only issue I wanted to signal that was the upgrade from 32 kernel as doesn't see the reiser4 partition doesn't allow to start system with.
Tomorrow I'll started a live Elive 64 USB flash drive and I'll reinstall grub from there or even reinstall Elive 64.
I have no major issues with, but is good to be prevented on this possible issue upgrading a dual ext4 and reiser4 partition systems that maybe nobody had thinked about.

1 Like

Nope, the reiser was on sda8 there, so it's from there the update-grub has to be run.
If all goes well then Grub (from 3.7.6) will put itself as default and recognize the other 2 as options.

Mhm, shit you are right

• since there is an extended partition scheme
    :relaxed:

Ya, sure -
but from where is the question herein.
Very interesting, btw.

Follow @triantares, after my very famous fast thinking
I came to the conclusion....
ahm hold on, must think again :cloud:
... that he is right here (again, damn !#@$¡)

Be sure to read up how to chroot into your remounted root file system with rw options. Otherwise all files will be non-editable. Use Elives mounts-manager for that,

There was a good write up on how to run a virtualized system through chroot on the forum.

YAGS
Yet Another Goody to Show.:hug:

2 Likes

LOL
.:smiley14:

not really, this post is too old @maxinou to know it, try to apug and see if still happens

well, if your system has not reiser4 support @maxinou that's the reason of why is not detected, make sure that the module is loaded too, you may consider switch out of reiser4 :thinking:

as @triantares comments, i think that one of the recent versions had the kernel signed (which doesn't support reiser4), also, the 32bit version doesn't has reiser4 too

yes you can, if:

• the version of elive (the kernel) has reiser4 support
  • you don't use secure boot
  • you don't upgrade to a version of elive which doesn't has reiser4 support
  • you don't install another OS in another partition (which doesnt has reiser4 support) and you want to use their bootloader

note: (again), the 32bit version doesn't has reiser4 suppport included

Don't worry, the "issue" is that 32 bit kernel doesn't support reiser4 fs so for it those partition is unreadable.

As I upgrade all laptops to 3.7.8 I installed in last position 3.7.8-64 so Grub reads all file systems.