3.7.9 alpha release

I'm doing this now to perform a new 32 bit installation from USB Flash, I'll do the same with my other USB flash that contains 64 bit release

yep, i experienced this feeling too, like forced to continue while selecting extra partitions and thinking "oh wait! i would need to create a another partition bla bla"

so this is specifically solved now :slight_smile:

tell me if you see another place where an "abort" button is needed :applause:

added customized logout icon in cairo-dock
also the hotkeys pdf launcher custom app

(for next build, or use elive-skel at your own)

the eeepc-acpi-tools are dynamically installed/removed depending of the "detected" machine :slight_smile: , tell me if there's any wrong setting by default (installing/removing the package when its needed / not-needed on each machine, a reboot will be needed probably)

yeah but i was unable to reproduce the same issue :confused: , using the same steps... if next time happens again to you, we will need to know the "why" and checking how to reproduce them

check your collected data from:

cat /etc/elive/disks-health

the pendings are the bad ones, the reallocated are "not so good" but probably not an issue

well, it can happen if your usb moved during installating like wrong connection on it, but again, the best is to "sudo dmesg" to see which kind of errors shows when it says that (which the installer should in fact report what exactly happens, if the info is correctly wrote)

ok i see the picture, but "sudo dmesg" will be needed to know what it says (from where is the error), and I strongly suggest you to use usb-bootable-elive with the -c option :slight_smile: which will "revive" any possibly damaged usb (over the time, they sometimes produces errors)

Humm... this is a delicated thing, for security the installer won't show you as an upgradeable system a system which didn't installed correctly, I can improve the installer to ignore this "mark" for the "upgrading/migration" modes on which the system should be much more "better installed", but again, since the installation didn't finished correctly (and you had a first successful boot), it could be "half"-correctly-installed, like missing things and specially configurations of the system, like mountpoints, users, etc... This means that you could have the option available but without a guarantee that the upgrade would work fine (again, since its not a verified of correctly-installed system). This is a good or a bad thing to have? im not sure... its a security measure in fact :thinking: :thinking:

mmh, this is very strange issue, im not sure if i can find some information from your reports but i can try it

20190725-17:04:20__ae9ecdd43057ee75637231adfc0151d5e71c54fd__0__lxx@gmail.com__3.7.8____.gz
20190908-17:16:28__a10112623baf80ec4de2d78e908323e69718b21e__0__lxx@gmail.com__3.7.9____.gz
20190909-12:25:07__dace706b7695edb61c5dc2eb2f2affd55c77bd33__0__lxx@gmail.com__3.7.9____.gz
20190909-15:11:40__30ee8d8887802b80936bcc7a7b7b51f01ed751da__0__lxx@gmail.com__3.7.9____.gz
20190909-20:14:02__e6355b1ac6509f910d691f42ecfbb0da61bb6264__0__lxx@gmail.com__3.0.6____.gz
20190910-14:56:20__da18fe794a5aca6b3f97c145561db7c604fed907__0__lxx@gmail.com__3.7.9____.gz
20190914-23:54:10__c980ecde339d697bb252e77077ad6a883dc5c0c6__0__lxx@gmail.com__3.7.9____.gz

can you tell me which one of these reports could have been the one with that issue? :slight_smile: (timezone is same as yours, from Frankurt timezone), in the end of the filename you see the version of Elive too

Hello!

I just reboot the 1015pn to re-verify but nothing more (but perhaps too, I will look around its bios version...)

When installing a new program, (say Opera web), it appears in the Cairo-Dock menu, but not in the E16 one...

Just for testing, on the 1001px (2Gb), I arrive to launch 3 times VLC with three different videos with quite no lag (a very little), and the cpus are not 100% full time, where on the 3.0 x32, cpus tends to 100% with only one... (well this performance is still very low in compare with a good old Amiga 4000 PPC under WarpOS (AmigaOS 68k+PPC), where It arrives to play around 20 videos (in little windows) with 4 sound channels ok before lag/freeze..!!! 'was specially good hardware!!!)

Thanat's work in finding the last little resource of both hard&soft~ware is very impressive, somewhat as a demo maker mind for "business", "serious" stuff on a large family of machines..! :+1::ok_hand:

EDIT

An other difference between the 1001px & 1015pn eeepc's: on the 1001px, at start (live), Conky fits perfectly just in the screen, where for the 1015pn the connection lines are down under the screen limit and need to have fonts sets from 8 to 6 (7 if # for the space lines) to have all in view... AND the screens of both are 1024x600!!! Just noted too that in Screen Layout Editor, Primary is by default for the 1001px but not for the 1015pn..?

Salutations!

in e16 you need always to use the "regenerate menus" option

maybe we need an automated regenerator for every reboot :thinking:

can you include a screenshot? :slight_smile:

about eeepc-acpi-scripts, i would need to know if you need to install (or remove) this package in your each machines, in order to make it behave / work correctly, to know if the default settings are not correct (if should be installed where is not, or removed where it is)

Maybe the good idea is to prevent user that it has a "corrupted" installation and offer him the option between made a new one at that partition (lost his configurations) or try to upgrade the corrupted installation (with a dialog box that explain that he has no guarantee)

I give you all explains of logs upper here, I have a big issue in HP Mini 2 GB RAM that is not present in Acer Aspire 1 GB RAM (always in 3.7.9-32) that apug in HP mini upgrades almost 150 paquets and I lost my network connection (both wifi and LAN) and also Conky is lost, here you have a screen capture from my clean new installation done this morning and that I won't apuged until you discover where is the problem, the strangest thing is that 3.7.9-32 in Acer (older and less RAM) is very fine and not problem with apug, also @yoda seems to had same issue in one of his machines that was solved itself after several reboots.....

If I agree I lost network connections + conky and system takes almos 10 minutes to power off, with those messages:

Hoping that the logs + apug package list + those pictures will be helpful to you...

:+1:

. . . .

That would kill off every personal customization or theme. There be dragons there.
Better to ask than to use automagic. :mage:

this is a strange issue, but seems like "conky" simply crashes... is there any message on "sudo dmesg" about conky?

unless your upgrade removed some unwanted packages, i don't know why this could happen (broken HD? check your RAM too from the Live first boot menu -> extra tools)

finally, just upgrade to 3.7.10 :slight_smile: , but note about your /documents issue! which:

@maxinou /documents partition issue:
I think that I understand what happened here, it didn't formated that partition but deleted its contents, the reason is that a directory called "documents" in the root partition is simply wrongly put (your files should be in your /home/USER directory, and there it wont' have been deleted), the installer takes care to clean your system and he didn't know that /documents was a thing to not delete... in any case I will improve the installer so that this won't happen again, but my suggestion is to your mountpoints in the correct places and then "sudo ln -s /home/USER/mymountpoint /documents" to have it easily accesible for you (which is the reason you put it on your root structure :slight_smile: )

this improvement on the installer is not yet implemented, i need to work on that and do some betatestings first! :slight_smile:

@maxinou your screenshots looks to show a damaged install, maybe because of a broken HD, please check the /etc/elive/disks-health file and check your ram too

not really, every desktop has dynamic menus, if you add an application, it should appear and if you delete it it should unshow it, so the correct thing to do is to improve the dynamic generator to any need. By other side it is possible to add also a "user's own menu" that could a yours personal one and this wont be regenerated

1 Like

I doesn't know because I have now a clean installation where I doesn't still apug (need the laptop for my Tuesday travel)

I'll check my RAM, but I think remember that I did those RAM test some time ago with success....

but my partition was called "documentos" in Spanish because it exist from times I lived in Spain, not "documents" if you mean that system maybe was confused about name, anyway, I never use /home to keep my personal data and even I have not a /home partition, IMHO if the partition could be called "anythingelse" none there was different of a "documentos" named partition.... even if their name has been /documents in English, system never should delete those files, I think, anyway, as my data was backed-up it doesn't matter and if that lets you improve system I'll be glad

Here you have:

disks_scanned="/dev/sda"
count_gshock="547"
count_sectors_reallocated="232"
count_sectors_pending="0"

If I doesn't run apug everythink is OK now, the issue cames at first (and only) apug in this machine at least for 2 consecutive clean installation.... maybe a HW or HDD problem, but it seems that @yoda had the same issue once and it was solved itself after a few reboots, that is not my case

Hi!

'Got some problems with multi install: For testing, I have on the M6700, a ssd where I want three systems: One "pure" Elive, one "morphed to Elive" Mint and one "Morphed to Elive" CAELinux, plus a somewhat home, the /"bios" & the /boot...
Installer asks each time for the /boot: Can't figure out if it's an additive process or not... I suppose /bios didn't vary?
I can have grub "vanish" generally ok after an update-grub in rescue mode, but I have too password problems, even trying in qwerty scheme... Having to look forward it (after dl the new .iso)...

Ih!

This is something that isn't always clear to me either......good point. :thinking:

That is exactly what I mean ........ solution needed!

I am going to be extremely busy the next few days so I'll see if i can fit in a check on what "regenerate menus" does exactly ....... have you got any pointers where those scripts are?????
E16 is awfully poorly documented, alas.....AKA "nothing there or lost completely" :sniff:

It feels like being a boy scout in a totally dark forest, trying to find your way with a compass using a flashlight that's slowly draining the last of it's almost depleted batteries. :omfg:

1 Like

@maxinou issues:

These are some reports from your installs:

W: [ eliveinstaller > /usr/share/eliveinstaller/installer_functions.sh +5813 hd_errors_check] badblocks in your HD '/dev/sda' found (226), user is informed

these are really too much bad blocks in your hard disk, don't use it for your system, its dangerous for your data, in fact its possible that your /documents issue has been caused because of it (ill explain this later)

for this disk, what i suggest you is to use it as a "secondary backup" (in case your backup disk is lost), i have also second backups for most of my data too... or you can also use it for "download torrents" or less-important data (like a storage of downloaded movies)

about the /documentos dir, as said before it is mounted on the root of the system and should -not- be done this way (this is not a correct/standard procedure), but in any case it should not have happen... i have see what happened on your reports and the cause was that the installer tried to verify this mountpoint (mounting it) but when it have tried to umount it it failed (so the mountpoint was leave mounted when migrating the system), so the installer deleted all its contents from it (because it was synced with the new OS data, again: if your mountpoint was in your /home it should not have happened, but also, the installation also ignores everything on /mnt or /media, the correct place is /mnt, you should have all your own mountpoint put on this place)

In any case, the installer has been improved for not happen again cases like this (untested)

This one is the installation stopped with message that ISO or USB were wrong, HP Mini, 2 GB RAM, and HDD with bad sector I'd choice in this installation "upgrade an existing system" and installer detected old 3.0.6 and old 3.7.8 and asked me, I'd choice 3.7.8 and upgrading was running until it stopped with message of ISO/USB flash wrong

mmh, this should be not exactly the case, as said in the first lines what it should have reported to you is that your HARD DISK (not the USB) contains badblocks (see the message on the first line), if it really said that is your USB then it should have been wrongly detected

1 Like

installer only ask to add a /boot partition when it is needed (like, if the filesystem selected is not ext4, or if is inside a crypto layer), and also, it should be asked only one time :thinking:

note that the next versions of e16 confs (elive-skel) will regenerate the menus at each desktop start

about "which scripts", there's only one:

sudo scite /usr/share/e16/scripts/e_gen_menu

All credits goes to @Rebel450 =
Mhm, mhm :nod:
:hug:

"too much bad blocks in your hard disk ..."
@maxinou:
Mhm, mhm :nod:

Thanks again to @Rebel450 :rofl2:
LOL

Yes... one day I'll install a SSD drive here, but it must still wait....

Usually I fount this partition mounted at /mnt/luis/documentos, not in a / file system.... in other way, maybe a good idea is to chose it like my /home partition next time and copy after my data inside, but if I'm wrong, I can't use the same /home partition for several Linux, isn't it? and I have both 3.0.6 + alpha releases in the same machine (even 3.0.6 + 32 + 64 alpha releases in Acer) so if I need a /home for any of those releases I can't use it to store my documents inside....[quote="Thanatermesis, post:73, topic:1432"]

This one is the installation stopped with message that ISO or USB were wrong, HP Mini, 2 GB RAM, and HDD with bad sector I'd choice in this installation "upgrade an existing system" and installer detected old 3.0.6 and old 3.7.8 and asked me, I'd choice 3.7.8 and upgrading was running until it stopped with message of ISO/USB flash wrong

mmh, this should be not exactly the case, as said in the first lines what it should have reported to you is that your HARD DISK (not the USB) contains badblocks (see the message on the first line), if it really said that is your USB then it should have been wrongly detected
[/quote]

Yes, but in the picture shown up there is well indicated that is my USB support which is dammaged, but there is also suggested that maybe my HDD would have not enough empty room for system (that is not true), so finally message point to a 3 possible fault causes:

• Bad ISO download (MD5SUM was Ok)
  • Bad USB flash
  • HDD without enough free space

I copy the picture for remember.

Anyway maybe a good idea is not use those HP with HDD broken as my main test machine and use Acer as main test machine and HP as secondary test machine to avoid some confusing "issues" that made you a supplementary work for nothing, or maybe a damaged machine is also a good way to test how Elive reacts face to damaged HW (user notified, etc...) via elive-health and other tools....

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dons of SSD drives accepted :innocent:

It's a joke!

You're too late.
My son just took every spare HD and SSD he could find for his movie project. :nanana:

1 Like

you can found cheap ones, but in any case an SSD is what is strongly suggested as the best upgrade on any computer :slight_smile:

are you sure? i just checked the installer and the contents inside /mnt shoudl have not been modified (btw i remember that your issue was specially happened that the partition was not able to umount by some reason, maybe the badblocks, who knows, but in any case the installer has been improved to avoid issues like this in the future)

ok, the thing is:

• you can have it mounted on /mnt/something, that's correct
  • suggested to create a link in your home that points to that mountpoint (easy access)

note: the files can be shared without problems among systems, but the owner (write permissions, etc) could be different, the user owner is not based on the name but on the UID, see:

echo $UID

yours should be probably 1000, the first user created in every system (elive/debian) should be 1000, so if you are using the same "first created user" the author would be the same, even if has a different name

mmh ok, I checked again the logs, so this is what happened:

• first, you had a report about bad blocks in your hard disk (ok, thats independently)
  • next, the installing of system failed when copying / installing the contents and showed you this error (screenshot) saying that maybe your media is damaged or you have not enough space left, but this is not what really happened, what really happened is that you had this "documentos" mountoint which was unable to umount (by some unknown reason) and was mounted into the target dir before to install, this made the process to fail, as we can see here:

[0] trying to mount '/dev/sda7' with 'auto' to '/mnt/target/documentos'
umount: /mnt/target/documentos: target is busy.
D: Mounts before to install system:
/dev/sda6 on /mnt/target type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
/dev/sda7 on /mnt/target/documentos type ext4 (rw,relatime)

note: these errors shows that the mountpoint of your "documentos" dir is not in /mnt/something but directly on / (root of filesystem), is this correct @maxinou? :thinking: - i have just checked the code and it should have detected correctly the mountpoint, but it says that was mounted on / in your logs

yeah thats a good thing too! I think that you can still use it for tests with the damaged disk and should not give errors, remember that your issue was because of the "documentos" (unable to umount, why? maybe because errors in hd?), but in any case that should not happen again since the multiple improvements made around

Yep, in some time....

I was wrong, in fact this sdaX is mounted under /media/luis/documentos not under /mnt/luis as I wrote

So if I understand, If I'm able to manage several UID permissions the best option is to have a /home partition that contains my /documents folder and once is created never format it and use for all systems... I'll try those option in Acer that is able to run Elive stable + Elive Alpha32 + Elive Alpha64, really now with Elive is the first time I have several releases in the same machine, until discover Elive I always had a single Linux system so I always only 3 partitions, one for /, another for /swap and third one for my data.

Maybe I read those logs in a different way, but for me is mounted in /mnt/target/documentos not in /target/documentos, isn't it?

OK, so I'll use both machines and prevents you if an issue cames from HP (those that had HDD damaged) in this way you'll have an "illness" machine to test too.... HP is my main machine but I'll try to use Acer as much time as possible too. In any case, ** I'll prevent you if an issue log cames from one or another machine to avoid supplementary work probably due to my defective HDD**

Glad that at least those HW issue had let you to improve Elive features :+1:

im confused, the installer logs said that it was mounted on the root filesystem, not /mnt* or /media* something

in any case, if happens again tell me (make sure to have backups :slight_smile: ), because then something strange is happening on the installer, but the code looks correct

you can share it without problems as long as these users use the same UID, you can check the UID of your user with

echo $UID