64bit first builds

No worry, I wasn't going to use an alpha release for real work.
To answer your question: No, definitely NOT
Gimp is nice but not very good for real drawing/painting look and feel....Gimp is too cluttered and quite a space hog too, imho.
If I really want to produce something good I'll use a combination of Inkscape and Mypaint (and Xsane to scan my sketches). At first Mypaints layer support wasn't very good but that has changed of late.

I've got 2 Jolla phones with sailfishOS in use for quite a while and cannot say I've had any problems with the filesystem. on any of them.
Afaik Suse-linux uses btrfs by default and they seem to be doing allright.:innocent:

Gotcha

Actually seems like mypaint depends on a different lib that breaks gimp, I assume that will be fixed by default when debian releases buster as stable, so let's wait for now (and remember me to include mypaint back when it can be installable! :slight_smile: )

Hello!

I was about to buy a very cheap Jolla phone because it was impossible to restart, due to this eventual problem with btrfs eating space... So I find somewhere, on Jolla / Sailfish forums, the symptoms & resolution options...
I like SailfishOS! For me the best phone is the N900 with Maemo, but without 4G/LTE... And the Neo900 is far too expensive for me and not finished!

Salutations!

Since im now in Barcelona I should check if I can see (play with) those jolla phones :slight_smile:, if they are around

No they stopped production a while back, I bought one of the last.
Only SailfishOS is still there.

Same here....that was an awesome phone at the time. I lost mine in 2013, leaving it on my car roof after changing overalls and driving away. Too bad Jolla didn't work out, heh. :neutral_face:
I have to retract the brtfs comment as I just checked and my Jolla has ext4 partitions.

This is getting off topic ......sorry!

Honestly, I have no idea, as both they come with a 32bit Win version I always think that they are not able to run an 64bit OS.... (Acer is a 2006 machine and HP is a 2012 ones), I'll maybe try in the future, if you want... I know how an engine (from a car or bike) works and how to fixed it, but I have no idea of computer HW :innocent:

I'll ask her and I'll came to you ASAP

Don't worry, I have no skills to work with an alpha version.... I can wait for a long time discovering Elive 32bit :wink:

Hi,
64bits
It seems very nice, I must wait to see the distribution...OK :+1:

Just for a statement, my FS with btrfs + compression uses actually this size:

/dev/sda2      124565504  84944488  38206904  69% /

Let's see if stills good on the future, but from what I have read is not a more mature and usable FS

Unfortunately I cannot use reiser4 at the moment :sob:

Saw on youtube, liked and commented already!

Putting RreiserFS in the "get over it" category and btrfs as " not mature enough:" How bad can ext4 be?:thinking:

1 Like

It's just a stable solution (or should be, I always had better confidence in reiserfs than in ext*), but btrfs features better performances and better sizes (among other things like snapshots that we would probably not use / need)

Note: btrfs "was not" mature enough over years, now... seems like to still in development but with the included kernel versions seems more stable

Note: reiserfs actually crashes the kernel, this is a kernel bug, it -should- be solved from a newer debian package of the kernel which will be included / updated for their stable release, and its an important bug in the kernel since affects a lot of people, but since reiserfs is simply abandoned (devs not interested into), so we don't know if is going to be fixed... it sounds even strange that the kernel supports rare filesystems that nobody uses and doesn't supports well reiserfs (apparently they even sabotage reiserfs in the past, but that's a political / their topic)

In other words: the actual kernel is in version 4.19.28, if there's an updated kernel in the next builds we should try again reiserfs to see if stills crashes or is fixed (even better, just read the /usr/share/doc/linux-image.../changelog.Debian.gz file which tells if is fixed or not), and so then i should remove the reiserfs blacklist (because is disabled) from the installer and the build system, in order to re-enable it back

1 Like

To each his own.
I never installed with ReiserFs mainly 'cause I always allready have an existing ext4 /home partition (yes, clonezilla) and thus out of habit keep everything the same. I tried other file systems but never found them different, faster or better enough to change my habits.

I had the impression that brtfs was better suited for lvm, but that's just hearsay in my case.

2 Likes

As per wikipedia:
" As of 2018, Reiser is housed at the Correctional Training Facility near Soledad, California, with a tentative parole eligibility date of May 2020"

Looks like ReiserFS may get updated support soon if he can be convinced to continue his work on it.
Until then, my experience has been ext4 is the standard, but I'm interested in hearing more about any upgrades to btrfs.

Well,
Zachary Winnerman recently ran some interesting tests:
BTRFS performance compared to LVM+EXT4 with regards to database workloads...
Conclusion:
... benchmarks show that Btrfs outperforms LVM in terms of performance in the presence of snapshots. The reason for this is actually fairly intuitive and has to do with the method of implementing CoW in the systems. In LVM, CoW is achieved by first copying the block from the main logical volume to the snapshot logical volume, then updating the main logical volume. This operation requires one read and two writes to update a single block! Btrfs does this better by utilizing a log-structured data structure for writes, which means that an update requires only a single linear write. This explains why the initial create time in Experiment 1 was so similar overall: the overhead was not in CoW but in data checksuming and other features. It also explains why Btrfs was so much faster than LVM in CoW mode. Using a CoW system when one isn’t necessary leads to severe performance degradation, especially in database workloads. But if you will be implementing CoW anyway, it would stand to reason to use a CoW system that operates on the filesystem layer or higher. An example of a higher than filesystem form of CoW would be one that utilizes CoW in the database engine to create snapshots. A sort of named, persistent transaction that can be referenced.

Aha. :eyepopping:

IMO it doesn't make sense to switch to Btrfs as an average user running a desktop system or Portable.
Ext4 is well developed and supported
But when it comes to servers or development machines, the situation changes considerably.
Then I would also consider Zfs. :work:

Ya, ya - I put my oar in .....

:nod:

1 Like

The author itself, I don't think so (you can google for that if you are interested on this topic but that's a political offtopic thing that has no relation with the quality of the work)

By other side, reiser4 was released long long time ago, but since the original author case, the code has been for years maintained and developed by Edward Shishkin, which is very friendly and does an amazing job with his updates patches so that you can use to compile your kernel with reiser4 support :slight_smile:

Why is not reiser4 in the kernel? I just found this Reiser4 and the politics of the kernel - Linux.com

And this, is a MUST to read document if you are interested on filesystems: Why Reiser4 - Reiser4 FS Wiki :omfg: , you won't say "I want EXT* / BTRFS" again after to read this lol

After to read the previous link, you will be shocked about the futuristic and advanced features of Reiser4, specially because this was made more than 10 years ago

BTW just to state my experience here, very contrary to comments on internet (which says that reiserfs is not reliable, insecure and corrupts your data), I have been using reiserfs in many computers and strong tests for more than 15 years and NEVER got any corruption data, included computers which blocked and required forced shutdowns, contrary to my very -low- experience with EXT* filesystems, which on the few forced shutdowns I got corrupted data :-1: with my files moved into a totally useless place called lost+found with no filenames, just trash data

2 Likes

@Thanatermesis , I was half joking about Hans Reiser, but he is being released from prison on parole next year.

Interesting info :slight_smile: , let's see what happens with reiser4, but the biggest problem is the acceptance on the upstream kernel, which makes harder for a general implementation and support