64bit first builds

Hello!

About the btrfs problem on SailfishOS (Jolla): One just had it those days on together.jolla (bootloop-on-jolla-1-phone) ; the phone, after an upgrade, turns in loop reboot...
The previous thread about it at together.jolla (root-and-home-disks-full-and-causing-various-problems).
But beside/knowing/dealing with that, it seems working nicely!

@triantares: Are you eventualy registerd at together.jolla, to give the second link to this guy?

Salutations.

No ATM I'm not, sorry.
Maybe I will in time but for now I'm giving priority to Elive.

About the btrfs space-issue of this topic, check this thread Reiser4, futuristic FileSystem from outer space!

specifically the third and last "points" in the intro :mwahaha:

2 Likes

www....phoronix.com

Linux 5.0 File-System Benchmarks: Btrfs vs. EXT4 vs. F2FS vs. XFS

conclusion:The startup-time results are most interesting here for the Flash-Friendly File-System. With these tests, F2FS was across the board winning with all three storage configurations.

These file-system results end up being similar to what we've seen out of recent comparisons on older kernels: generally F2FS and XFS are the fastest on the consumer solid-state storage devices generally followed quite quickly (and commonly trading blows) with EXT4. Btrfs with its copy-on-write behavior leads to it having a lot of features but at least in its out-of-the-box behavior generally being a fair amount slower than EXT4/F2FS/XFS. Perhaps most interesting from today's results were the startup-time application results where the Flash-Friendly File-System easily won across all of those tests.

stayaway from Btrfs is the message..

HAMMER AND ELIVE would be awesome..

@gathlete:

First of all a warm welcome from my side;
so you came all the way from Australia to join our community, respect! ,:omgomgomg:

Serious now
Thanks for sharing your mind about file systems.
Very much appreciated.

But what does mean:

??

interesting

@Rebel450 I had the same question about Hammer, I think ( google) it's some Terminal " thing" but @gathlete will confirm

Notes from first go at 3.7.8/64
Considerably less memory use (-10%)
Very smooth upgrade from 3.7.6/64
Still missing en_SE soooo bad (I cringe at swedish translation and vomit over anglo dates and units)
Seems very stable and the occasional ghosting when closing some applications seems history.
All in all good so far.

4 Likes

which application / where exactly is the missing translation (or language selection), you mean the popup that comes at the start showing languages to select ? (i think that this list in fact is very limited and should include more, but there's many! heh)

Hello,

I've been absent for some personal problems, but I want to signal a possible issue in latest 3.7.8-64 Chromium is now completely unresponsive with only 1 tab in my 1 GB RAM Acer laptop. The day that those thing happens, system was starting with battery and battery died while Enlightement was starting. I plugged the AC cord, I started again and I had the window that told me that is not good to shutdown system in a bad way....

I doesn't know if there was something corrupted at those moment (I'll reinstall 64 bit release again to test) but is very strange because Chromium was so light to run correctly in this laptop with some tabs opened....

In the same laptop, 3.7.8-32 release has no Chromium issues.....

IF you run in Live Mode, let me know if it does the same...
I only have machine ( 2 Gig RAM) that could be good for the test but it's still 2 GB Ram... And I don't feel for reinstalling it again LOL

But even if I run in live mode and it work well, it's not usefull...

Let me know how it goes in " Live mode only"... I'll see if I reinstall my smaller machine

Hi!

On the 1015pn eeepc (1Gb ram), (Elive 3.7.8 x64, live, E16), I have, too Chromium somewhat "at hard" with one tab on video or some tabs opened....

Ih!

1 Like

You should've had an offer to fall back on a previous version/backup. Didn't that come up?

@maxinou

Debian based distros don't like a power black out at all, you should avoid it.
As said before, with low memory onboard you should not run the 64 bit, their instructions to the OS are not made for it, it will slow down because of use of virtual memory all the time.
Additional to this situation you got an outdated harddisk, when I remember right.
That said aside from testing purposes is the use of 64bit on this machine just a handicap.

1gb of ram is too few for those today's bloated browsers, that's a fact, by other side:

• the live system could require more ram, because everything runs on ram
  • swap partition helps pretty much for the live system (not so helpful for installed, because of technical reasons)
  • try the 32bit versions, which can be possible the browser itself (and overall systems) runs lighter in ram
  • I assume that opera or others are not lighter in ram usage

Well, I don't explain it correctly, system were running well, even in that low resources laptop is but since it shut down while it was starting by zero battery chromium has become unresponsive, I didn't know if there are any link cause effect or not but I found it at least interesting to signal. Next days I'll perform a new installation to see what happens.

You could just remove (purge) chromium and all it's local stuff.
Better to rename the local stuff so you will be able to cherry-pick certain personal data later.
This would be specifically:
.config/chromium
.cache/chromium
.cache.old/chromium

Actually I would personally remove those and see if the issue goes away. If it doesn't purge it:
"apr --purge chromium"

1 Like