Can't run AppImage on Elive 64bit

Hi!
I'm trying to use some AppImages on my shiny new Elive 64bit.
I've downloaded the file, run chmod +x and then ran but the problem is the following (example with Balena Etcher):

[23569:0820/100824.959013:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(158)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that /tmp/.mount_balenaj26YNf/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755.
/tmp/.mount_balenaj26YNf/balena-etcher-electron: riga 10: 23569 Rilevato trace/breakpoint "${script_dir}"/balena-etcher-electron.bin "$@"

What can I do?
Other appimages works fine (e.g. pCloud)

Thanks!

As the message says, there's a SUID issue ..... try running with "sudo"

I see... But why some apps require sudo and other not?
Ok for Balena Etcher, but why for an email client (tutanota)? There's a logical answer or it is just a decision made from the developers?

It's primarily a developer decision but admittedly they have the "worry" that not all distros are alike.

• Some allow user mounting/hot-plugging where others still adhere to the old adagium that only root is allowed to.
  • Some have "sudo", some don't and require "su"
  • and there's the numerical UID compared to using the user-names.
  • Not forgetting the permissions needed to run (and inherit) from /tmp differs per distro.

In general, appimages have a problem due to inheriting the uid of the directory they're started from and try to circumvent that by running from /tmp (or they make sure that all permissions are at a user level).

As to "tutanota" ..... I don't see the need of using a dedicated e-mail client to access a host service. :thinking:

First of all thanks for your explanation.

You're right: it was just an old habit :smile:
Maybe this would be the time that I'll change my mind about some habits

If your problem still isn't fixed...

You need to make sure that /tmp/.mount_balenaj26YNf/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755.

That's easy.

sudo chown root:root /tmp/.mount_balenaj26YNf/chrome-sandbox #To change the owner of that dir to root
sudo chmod 4755 /tmp/.mount_balenaj26YNf/chrome-sandbox #To make the dir have mode 4755
1 Like

It looks easy but isn't .... as that mount will (should)l disappear after the program shuts down i.e you will have to incorporate that into the script.
As it will be mounted by root, the user will not be able to unmount so won't be able to stop the process.

At this point I think I'll run with sudo if needed

At the moment the only appimage that I need (maybe) and that needs sudo privileges is Balena Etcher, but is not used on a daily bases so is not such a problem
Thanks for your reply, I've learned something new today

I'm a command line freako so I never even contemplate a GUI proposition, considering it to be inferior at best and at worst an insult to my intelligence. :madness:

Then again my favorite "dd" also requires "sudo" on Elive to access a flashdrive, i.e:
"sudo dd if=Downloads/clonezilla-live-2.6.0-37-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M status=progress"

Think about it this way:
Every programmer writes his/her program (functionality) with commandline/script first and adds a GUI as an after-thought to accommodate those who tend to get lost in the options. :scream:
It's never the other way round.

2 Likes

Ahm .....
:ohmygod:
:rofl2:
LOL

Well, in my case it's the other way around -
that's why our ( @triantares & @Rebel450) discussions are always so .... effective ...
:madness:

1 Like